Pros and cons for relocating out of NY state for a teaching job? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The Job Search

Pros and cons for relocating out of NY state for a teaching job?

>

sandycheeks

Pros and cons for relocating out of NY state for a teaching job?
Old 10-04-2018, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm an experienced teacher from NY but I worked in a private school for some time. I haven't been able to get a permanent position in the public schools and am having difficulty foreseeing how I will survive financially in my area if I don't get one soon. DO I wait it out another few years in NY, applying to hundreds of jobs and not getting any interviews? It's so competitive.

Or, should relocation be a real consideration?

Has anyone relocated short-term or long term..what has been your experience?

sandycheeks is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-04-2018, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I moved from OH to CO right out of college. When I graduated (2010), the job market was AWFUL in OH. There were literally like 5,000 people applying for each job. I might as well have been trying to win the lottery. I figured if I hated it, it was ten months of my life, and I could come back to OH with a year of experience on my resume.

I didn't know anyone and had never even been to CO prior to accepting a job here. My first school was an absolutely wonderful place to start a career. But it was very isolated (mountain town) and I absolutely hated living there. I moved to Denver after my 2nd year of teaching and have worked in much more difficult schools here, but like where I'm living WAY better.

At the risk of sounding super cheesy, I do think the experience of having to make it a brand new location all by myself made me a much better person. Expanded my world view, if you will. Made me get out of my comfort zone and "find myself."

On the other hand, something to keep in mind is that locations that have an easier job market have that situation for a reason! Pay is awful comparative to the COL here in Denver. The hours are also longer and the "associations" (we don't have real unions) are very weak and can't do much.

I realized last year that for what I've paid to rent a 600 sq. ft. apartment here, I could have literally bought and completely paid off a house, by myself, before the age of 30, in OH. And I would actually make MORE if I would have stayed there. My dad is a teacher. I made the grave mistake at looking at the salary scale for his district in OH the other day. I would literally make $20,000 more . And the COL is maybe 1/3 of what it is here.

Sometimes I wonder if I made a stupid decision and I should have stuck it out in OH, as far as long term benefits go. On the other hand, maybe I would have never found a position and gotten to the point where I'd been out of school too long to be considered (I always wondered how subs get updated references and things like that). It's a gamble for sure!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

flutetoot

Old 10-05-2018, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I moved from Connecticut (much like NY job-wise for teachers) to Virginia about 5 years ago and have never looked back. I have countless job offers every year - and I am not even looking! The weather is nicer, taxes are lower, and the cost of living is cheaper. My pay is not too bad (right around $50k) but I get the benefits.

Do what you need to do - I was in CT for ten years looking for a permanent job - and never got one.
flutetoot is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 10-06-2018, 06:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Many in the districts around me in NC have NY transplants. Some come for a few years, some come and never leave.

Those that stay a few years typically go back for a job in public schools.
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

redhead38

How is the hunt going?
Old 12-30-2018, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm actually moving to Brooklyn to be closer to my children and help them on their way. I will be moving in June of 2019 but don't know if I will find a teaching job. I see all kinds of openings so I am wondering why is it so hard to find a job? People think my husband and I are crazy for wanting to move there, but we want to make sure our two oldest children are settled and successful in Brooklyn. Should I just search for something other than public school teaching?

redhead38 is offline   Reply With Quote