Help

Special Education

Developmentally Delayed

>

Nonie

Developmentally Delayed
Old 11-25-2018, 09:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

First, I am reg ed not Sped. I am looking for help with a Firstie that has the emotional age of about a 2 year old. If not allowed to do as he wants he screams, runs from us, shouts stupid and I hate you. He will bite and kick if we aren't watchful. He has a full time aide and we are pretty successful as a class in ignoring his noises. If removed from the room, he immediately starts apologizing. I am looking for ways to help him understand appropriate behavior. We do "look at me, say ok and do it right away" with minimal success. We have a time out room and breaks built in. There hasn't been a certain trigger or time of day that we can identify. I am looking for things that we can do to give him better coping. I thought about having him draw how he should respond or having pictures to match to a situation. What is already out there as far as approaches?

Nonie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sped3

Sped3

Help
Old 11-25-2018, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would try some first / then visuals. Try to break up his day as much as you can with plenty of time for breaks. It sounds like his environment is way too stimulating. He has an awareness that his behavior is bad. Use this to your advantage! Maybe create some sort of point system for positive behaviors in the classroom. I like the idea of using visuals. Take pictures of him doing the expected behaviors and use these pics in a first/ then visual or in a social story. Most important make sure he takes ownership of whatever plan you decide and he has some choice in the types of incentives you provide.

GreyhoundGirl

Old 11-26-2018, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You might also see if there are some social stories out there. The social worker may be able to help you find some. Kids at that age tend to respond really well to social stories.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote