Help

Special Education

Help! P wants my team to do PD on "scaffolds"

>

Haley23

Help! P wants my team to do PD on "scaffolds"
Old 12-03-2018, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've posted before that my P is super gung ho about scaffolding. It's one of her favorite topics. Why can't she do the PD then, you ask? I had the same thought . It's really common/expected in my building for teachers to lead PD.

Today in our sped team meeting she was talking about how she sees this as a big need for our gen ed teachers. She wants my team to do a "series of PDs" about the stuff we do to help students access out instruction and how the gen ed curriculum needs to be scaffolded as well.

She gave an example about one of our older behavior kids completely shutting down because he was given a page of word problems, and how it would have so easy for the teacher to just give a couple at a time or say, "I'm going to check in after you do the first one." Well, that's all well and good for that student. He's a bright kid who shouldn't even be labeled as learning disabled in the first place, IMO.

The vast majority of our kids are YEARS behind. I always struggle with how to give advice about gen ed, because truthfully I don't really have the answers myself about how you get a child to access something that is years above their ability level, especially with one teacher and 30 (needy) kids. In the above word problem example, our other students would a) not be able to read the problems b) not understand what needs to be done to solve the problem and c) not have the computation skills to solve the problem even if someone told them what to do. Other students in that kid's grade level literally have goals like one digit addition that they are struggling with.

We aren't allowed to modify. Don't shoot the messenger- it's a state level mandate and P and the district back it up. She even said today, "Of course I'm not saying you give them an entirely different assignment." Kids are instructed at their level in pull outs (which is heavily frowned upon at the state/district level, but P seems to support it for us) but my kids are all 80% or more in gen ed, so that's a small part of the day.

Sure, there are some basic ideas I could share, although I'm not sure they'd be "new" for the vast majority of our teachers. I'm also 100% sure though that if I get up in front of the staff and try to share said ideas, someone is right away going to say, "But what about kids that are years below grade level? What if we're working on regrouping and they don't know numbers 1-10?" And I honestly don't know how to answer that question.

Thoughts? Advice? Help?!

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

WalkDontRun

Old 12-04-2018, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Its funny how they think we have the answers to everything! So much of what we do is just good teaching. I'm becoming weary of being expected to be the expert on all things, especially behavior. My career is winding down and my patience is wearing thin. I'm kinda tired of hand-holding.... Sorry if this isn't helpful, I'm just tired of it all. BTW I can tell from your posts that you are an excellent teacher!
WalkDontRun is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 12-07-2018, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You're very kind, walkdontrun. The other sped teacher, who usually drives me crazy, may have saved us on this one. She brought up to the P that this information may be better received if it comes from an "outsider" rather than having us present it. She said that if we present it the gen ed teachers will probably feel like those are the things we should be doing in our sped classrooms and they can just ignore it, or like we just "don't understand" what it's like to be a gen ed teacher. She said she's tried to offer ideas before and usually the gen ed teachers just say they can't do them in a regular classroom.

Then SLP and I mentioned that we went to a really good PD about teaching ELs a few weeks ago, and that really the information would apply to any struggling student. We played up how great it would be to have this person come present to the entire staff (a district person had already said this was an option). P is looking into it. Hopefully that will pacify her for now, but probably not forever.

I'd still love to hear ideas if anyone has them!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote
anrach20

anrach20

Old 12-19-2018, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Have you heard of the CRA Instructional Approach for math? Concrete, Representational, Abstract is what CRA stands for. Each area builds on the previous so that students can develop a deeper understanding of concepts. There are many research articles and examples of how to use it online.