Help

Special Education

Educational Testing

>

Snowflake29

Educational Testing
Old 12-10-2018, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Who does the educational testing at your school? In our school SPED teachers administer, grade and provide a report to the team during triennials.

In some other schools in the district there are teachers who are hired for this position only and test all the kids but do not teach.

I just got trained and am realizing how much this will actually add to my workload (as if I donít have enough to do already). I know this is just part of the job but most days I find the majority of my planning time (or after school or before school) is dedicated to paperwork and now testing !

Just curious what it looks like in other schools.

Snowflake29 is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

Academic testing
Old 12-10-2018, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In my district, the SPED teachers do the academic testing. It takes less time than my psych testing, but it is hard for the teachers to find time. They also have to do initials which adds to their workload. They used to get a testing period to take care of this, but that has been done away with due to budget cuts.
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 12-10-2018, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

At my first school, I wasn't in charge of any formal testing. The school psych did all of that. For initials, I did the classroom observation, typed up a summary of the RtI process, and wrote a summary of informal academic data. For reevals all I did was the informal summary.

When I started job hunting elsewhere, I learned that my set up was extremely rare elsewhere in the state. Questions such as, "What formal tests are you comfortable giving" were common in interviews. When I got hired on at my current school, I had to be trained in giving the tests because I knew nothing about them. I'd gone to college in another state, where testing wasn't part of the teacher's job. Although people did seem to think it was absurd I didn't know how to give them, they were nice and basically realized it wasn't my fault. It obviously wasn't difficult when I learned, but you are right that it's time consuming!

In my current school, sped teachers have to do all of the formal academic testing. For initial/reeval reports, I have to write the introduction, do the classroom observation, include student and parent input, a summary of informal academic data (and MTSS summary for an initial), complete the formal testing, and write the report. Psychs do cognitive and social/emotional testing if warranted, and SLPs and OTs do their own testing if warranted.

Sped teachers are also case mangers in my state and in charge of all meetings, parent contact, paperwork, etc. It blows my mind that some places have "case manager" as an entirely separate job. I do have a friend who works in a charter that has a person who is just in charge of testing and paperwork, but it's one person for a K-12 school (with multiple sped teachers doing the teaching). She keeps encouraging me to look into it. I've told her while yes it seems cushy, it also seems incredibly boring. I'd have to be really burnt out to just want to do testing/paperwork and no teaching.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

amherstteach

Old 12-11-2018, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Are you talking about the testing that goes into the three year ETRs? If that's the case our school psychs do all of the testing. We provide some notes and fill out behavior checklists if necessary.

We have our own caseloads and schedule and run all of our own IEP meetings and write our own IEPs.
amherstteach is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Testing
Old 12-11-2018, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The school psych does the academic testing and the social worker does the social/emotional testing. I have never done initial or triennial testing.

I am in one one of those areas where we have a case manager. We have one just for my 600-student school, but we have about 200 IEPs. She also manages and schedules out attendants, something I appreciate as that was something I was expected to do in my previous district.

Middle schools and high schools all have their own case managers, but in elementary the case managers are generally split between two or three schools depending on the programs at each school.

IME the case manager job seems almost too exciting at times. You have to balance parents, regular ed teachers, building administrators, district administrators, related services and aides as well as special ed teachers.

And it is not considered an administrative position, so the pay bump is not that great.

readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

Snowflake29

Old 12-11-2018, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hmm itís so nteresting to hear what everyoneís district asks of them.

The testing i was referring to is the educational (academic) testing. In my district we use the KTEA

So in our district, each school kind of makes its own rules about roles/responsibilities.

So In our school, the SPED teachers are typically case managers for the IEPs in the grade we are assigned to. We are expected to schedule and lead IEP meetings and test kids for triennials/initials. The psych and social worker do their own testing. This is all in addition to teaching of course.

Just interesting to see what other teachers do.
Snowflake29 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 12-15-2018, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

In my last three districts, it was the following:
#1- school psych did the academic testing
#2- sped teachers did the academic testing
#3- a specific position did the academic testing- this position was also responsible for keeping track of timelines, leading referral & eligibility meetings, and doing all the contact work and paperwork for the Assessment teams. This position was filled by former special education teachers, and there was no teaching workload for this- it was all special education eligibility. (Each sped teacher was responsible for leading the IEP meetings for individuals on their caseloads- but the other position would do academic testing for that).
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote