Help

Special Education

Aide thatís frustrated former teacher

>

jengirlmama2

Aide thatís frustrated former teacher
Old 12-13-2018, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have an aide thatís a frustrated former teacher. I am nearing the end of my first year as a SPED teacher. Now, I have approx. 23 or more years under my belt of teaching children. I spent about 8 years in early childhood some working in 2 and 3 star centers some motherís day out, and being an assistant director and a director. 3 years as a music teacher grades prek-8th 3 years as a substitute teacher in public schools pretty regularly high school- prek. Many subjects, about 8 years as a first grade sunday school teacher, a gymboree teacher, vacation bible school teacher, and I directed 5 performing groups ages 3-12 for 3 years I also worked in sales for several years. I worked for a multi-level marketing company for 7 part time. To me dealing with kids is like sales sometimes. Will you be paying with cash or check? Are you going to lay down on the mat or the bean bag? Guess what! We are going to play a fun math game!! Guess what weíve figured out how to get you out of debt 10 years earlier!! I also have 2 kids of my own with IEPís who have been going to OT for 4 years. They have ADHD and anxiety and sensory issues and they are stubborn. I have had many different special needs kids in childcare and in classrooms that I subbed in and in church. Then I was a special ed. Teacherís aide for a year and a half before adding Severe and profound MD to my certification. I say this to mean I am not coming into this completely green and naive. The other week I was nearly rated highly effective on my eval even though my first for this school year was low because she came in at the end of the day when I was no longer teaching. Kids were done with lessons and getting changed and playing in centers and I was working at my desk. Since I had to move my plan period. Long story she said I have to ask her first. Anyway this aide has been questioning and complaining about just about everything I do. I think my other aides are going to doubt me and she is pissing me off. She says they need to be... we should be....then questioned an assesment I was trying to have an aide do. Asked is this a scientifically based assesment? I nodded my head with such confidence. I have been countering or saying you are welcome to take on that since I am up to my ears in stuff to do. Teamwork makes the dream work. Can you go with him to the bathroom and make sure he properly wipes? She feels she can get a child who is 10 with a 9-12 month old mentality and autistic like behaviors doesnít like coloring and hits people to work towards writing. OT and speech teachers have him hitting switches and choosing pictures. I am constantly doing research and going to PD and talking to other sped. teachers. Thing is I do need aides that can take on certain things in my room cause I aint a one woman show and we arenít just punching cards. She hasnít been in my classroom that much as a whole and got them to let her spend more time in my room. She brings up stuff I have already done. Iím not sure she worked with kids as low as mine. She takes breaks in my room and she is actually writing lesson plans. She changes few diapers. Do you all have some suggestions? Woman needs to get her own job. She actually questioned the psychologistís diagnosis.

jengirlmama2 is offline   Reply With Quote