Help

Special Education

I'm becoming a grinch

>

Haley23

I'm becoming a grinch
Old 12-16-2018, 09:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My first couple of years of teaching, I made sugar cookies in fun shapes and bought different colored icing and toppings, and then let kids decorate them the last day before winter break.

A few years in, I made a personal decision not to spend any more of my own money on school things, and that included cookies/icing/toppings, etc. I switched to showing a movie and putting out winter themed coloring pages for kids to do.

Last year we got a new P who would really frown on the movie thing, so I made it a game day instead. Now I know this makes me sound grumpy, but I hate playing card/board games with kids. They don't know when it's their turn, they can't remember the rules, they use no strategy, they get upset/argue over things, etc. I always go in thinking it will be an "easy" day and it's not.

This year I'm honestly thinking I'm going to do regular lessons. The structure might be beneficial for my kids. Obviously if their classroom is doing a party they can stay and participate in that, but that should only impact 1-2 groups in the afternoon. I'm planning some easier review lessons with maybe some extra time to play academic games like word bingo for my longer groups. I'll see how that goes.

So very different from when I first started teaching! What do you end up doing before break?

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

grinchtoo

grinchtoo

Old 12-17-2018, 04:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Same as you. My kids are stressed out by the upcoming break anyway, and they do best with their regular schedule. My school no longer allows any types of holidays to be celebrated and most of my student can't focus on any movie longer than 5 minutes - regular schedule it is.
I still spent money on my kids, but it is more needs than wants: wipes, and foods for my super picky eater who won't touch school food and melts down hungry. Parents do not sent these things and school won't provide them because parents should provide = teacher stuck in the middle. I also buy some curriculum and pay for lamination.
If your kids (like mine) are happiest with their regular schedule, you are not the grinch. You provide them with some relief from the seasonal craziness.

checkerjane

Old 12-17-2018, 04:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Anything self-directed. I have to start working on progress reports.
checkerjane is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 12-17-2018, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't have anything holidayish in my plans until the last hour of the last day. I was thinking of doing something fun earlier in the day, but looking at my kids work habits, they might still have work to finish.

Board games can be tough. I agree. In my experience, most kids don't want to sit and watch a movie either. They want to talk.

Could you work something holiday into your regular work? Stories centered on holiday fun?

We are going to do a 100's chart picture today using math facts. That is as fun as it is going to be. We might sift compost on our last day!
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Last day
Old 12-17-2018, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have done the cookie thing in the past with the intention of giving any leftovers to my attendants or the custodians.

That way I do not get bummed out if the kids are ungrateful.

I plan on doing the same this year, but middle schoolers can EAT so we might not have many leftovers.

readandweep is online now   Reply With Quote

misscurlyj

Old 12-17-2018, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Same routine/lessons but with a holiday theme
misscurlyj is offline   Reply With Quote