mentoring another teacher

>

Inga G

Inga G

mentoring another teacher
Old 12-19-2018, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi Everyone,
have you ever been designated as an official mentor at school for another sped teacher?
We just got another teacher who is working with me in the same unit, and since she started, since she doesn't have sped experience, I've been coaching and mentoring her on everything... The principal in private conversation asked me to mentor her in everything she needs, too. In our school, I've learned today, there's another mentor coordinator, who just assigned this teacher another official mentor today.
This new teacher comes to me in shock, because she thought I was mentoring her, and she gets 3rd grade teacher without any sped experience to mentor her... I'm so perplexed and am trying to understand the reasoning behind this illogical decision... That teacher won't be able to help her mentee with most of the things she needs, and I'm right there already doing it?
Is mentoring another teacher is paid? I'm trying to understand why that mentor coordinator made this illogical decision?
Your thoughts?

Spedhed

Old 12-20-2018, 03:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In my district, the “official” designated mentor is meant to help them with their Resident Educator program required for new teachers in Ohio and the tasks that go along with that. Those mentors are specifically trained in that and there are a limited number of those people so sometimes they get assigned to people who seem illogical. As far as a mentor on how to do the real job, that is kind a left to the team that the person is on. This may be what happened in your case.
Spedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Inga G

Inga G

Old 12-20-2018, 04:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you! I'm having a talk with administrator today, hopefully they will explain it to me. At least I need to be able to answer my unofficial mentee's questions about it...

Haley23

Old 12-26-2018, 09:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You really need to ask someone at your school as it varies everywhere. Here, mentors are not paid and eveeything is very unofficial. If the position at your school is paid, it's possible that only certain teachers who have applied for the position can do it.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote