Help

Special Education

Teaching Sped and another subject

>

live2educate2

Teaching Sped and another subject
Old 01-08-2019, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was excited to be moved from English to Sped but here is my concern. I was told I would teach inclusion 1st - 4th periods and on 5th period I will be teaching a 9th grade English class and my sped assistant will be doing the entire Sped class with all my students by herself because I will be teaching an English class during that time. The sped assistant will be responsible for grading during whole class time which is the grade that will be entered in the system. I will write IEPs and attend the meetings.

I am unhappy with this because I won't get that whole group time with my students and trying to learn Sped and all the required paperwork while preparing and teaching an English class.

I know districts can do what they want but is this a normal occurrence to teach Sped and another subject? Has anyone else done this?

live2educate2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tsy2013

Old 01-08-2019, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In. Y area an aide can not introduce or teach content.
Tsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 01-08-2019, 08:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
I know districts can do what they want but is this a normal occurrence to teach Sped and another subject?
Districts cannot do whatever they want.

I have worked in smaller schools where a sped teacher might also have a general education class subject for a period or two a day, but never one where an assistant is solely responsible for a class during a class period without a certified teacher present. I would wonder about the legality of that.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-08-2019, 09:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would bet that you're also responsible for planning and creating everything for the sped class while you're gone. Here, paras can teach "under the direction of the sped teacher." The sped teacher has to write the plans.

I used to have a very competent para and she and I would both teach different groups all day long, although I did have to plan everything. Sometimes we were in the same room, but not always. One day per week was designated for my IEP meetings and testing (we have very high caseloads, are also case managers, and also in charge of all academic testing for evals) and she would teach all day by herself. After she retired I've never had anyone that competent and we've rearranged the way we do things, so now I mostly use paras just for pushing in.

Here it is not that uncommon for schools to piece together different assignments for non-classroom teachers. 50/50 sped and title 1 is a common assignment. I interviewed for a position this summer that was 80% interventionist and 20% specials teacher. I know that some of our secondary sped teachers do get assigned gen ed classes for 1 or 2 periods a day on a regular basis.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Do you have the certification
Old 01-09-2019, 06:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

for HS English?

I cannot imagine having my regularly assigned class given to a para and being asked to cover a gen ed class as well. It even sounds crazy. Now, if I had an open period, it might be cnsidered but...

Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

live2educate2

Old 01-10-2019, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Now I'm wondering is there something deeper going on here. They practically rearranged the sped assistants responsibilities at a nearby school in order to be available during 5th period. She is covering two schools and the other school is now short staffed. I learned that she has a degree and is working to pass tests to become certified. I am wondering do they have me "holding" the sped teaching position for her and the goal is to really move her into the sped teaching position and move me back to English once she passes everything and becomes certified. Because I have English and Sped on my license, they can do that.

I ask because it seems that the class is being set up more as co-teaching and it seems like they brought me over only because I am certified.

Am I thinking too much into this?
live2educate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
widgettown

widgettown

Old 01-12-2019, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I think you might be right, and your scenario sounds entirely plausible. Administration has to cover all requirements with licensed teachers, and in the end we are just widgets. Unless your contract says differently, they can certainly ask you to teach you whatever you are licensed for, and move you around to where they need coverage. I guess the question is : what do you want? Where do you want to put your energy? Where do you want your career to go? Can you go with the flow with being moved around, or do you need to work in a certain area to be happy? I know teachers who purposefully did not renew their license in areas that they were no longer interested to teach so that they would not be moved there. I have also worked at a school where 40% of the teachers quit at the end of the year. If teachers are being treated as utterly replaceable, teachers will come to the conclusion that their school/district is replaceable too.