Special Education

Should I offer a diagnosis?

>

Bezz

Bezz

Should I offer a diagnosis?
Old 01-24-2019, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My admin says I should suggest to a parent that their child might have dyscalculia. I thought we were only supposed to describe patterns we see, not suggest a diagnosis. Could I get sued for that?

ElemSped13

Old 01-24-2019, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We are told to never, ever make a diagnosis or suggest meds because the district could be on the hook to provide or cover it. I would share your very specific concerns and strongly encourage them to seek a dr.
ElemSped13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

You may or may not
Old 01-24-2019, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

be sued but your District may have to pay for the cost of the evaluation, diagnosis and treatment should the family pursue it...

That is what we were told too...

Quote:
We are told to never, ever make a diagnosis or suggest meds because the district could be on the hook to provide or cover it. I would share your very specific concerns and strongly encourage them to seek a dr.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-24-2019, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have to inform parents what we can and cannot diagnose at school. We can identify them with a reading or math learning disability, but we can't use the words "dyslexia" or "dyscalculia" because those are medical diagnoses. I usually don't bring it up at all until a parent asks. I usually have a couple of parents per year that ask about dyslexia. I explain that if they really want that label, they'd need to go through their Dr. as it's a medical diagnosis.

But I also explain what dyslexia is/isn't and let them know that we're already teaching their child using explicit, systematic, and direct phonics instruction with multisensory techniques. I make sure they understand if they choose to pursue a diagnosis the child's instruction wouldn't change and they are paying for the label only. It's tricky because our Children's will convince parents to pay thousands of dollars for an evaluation that will "tell the school exactly what's wrong with your child and how to teach them." I've gotten reports from them and it's literally the exact same testing we use at school- they're just allowed to make the medical diagnosis.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

diagnosing a child
Old 01-24-2019, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If someone suspects a learning disability like discalulia, the child should start the student study team process (or whatever your school calls it) and perhaps end up with an assessment by the school psychologist.

eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 01-28-2019, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would talk to the parents about what specifically you are seeing and mention that might be consistent with some sort of a learning disability. I would then refer them to the team you have at school that looks into learning issues (child study team, student support team, multidisciplinary team, whatever you call it there).

Whether we can get "sued" for suggesting a diagnosis to a parent is a commonly discussed topic. Districts tend to be extremely clear that they do not want to be on the hook to pay for an outside evaluation, and that's where this idea comes from. I've read other things that suggest that isn't accurate, but if your school believes that I'd hate to be the one to test it out. It sounds like your administration doesn't feel that way, but I would still err on the side of describing what you see and saying something about how they might want to rule out the presence of any sort of learning disorder.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 01-28-2019, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Things are changing in the State of Washington. Beginning in the 2020-2021 school year, Washington State schools will be required to screen for dyslexia by 2nd grade.

https://www.knkx.org/post/washington...a-second-grade

I guess then we won't be afraid to mention the word "dyslexia". I think this is a real positive change.
Song of Joy is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 02-02-2019, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
Things are changing in the State of Washington. Beginning in the 2020-2021 school year, Washington State schools will be required to screen for dyslexia by 2nd grade.
That's fantastic and it should be that way in all states! It's really not that difficult and it makes such a difference to catch it early.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

AccerTX

Medical Diagnosis?
Old 02-02-2019, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hi!

I am in TX and have never heard dyslexia is a medical diagnosis. It's an SLD that is an educational diagnosis. It's a myth it is medical.

http://dyslexiahelp.umich.edu/answer...gnose-dyslexia
AccerTX is offline   Reply With Quote

geoteacher8

Old 02-02-2019, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Only if you want your district to be liable for any possible treatment or interventions. We are never to diagnose, but we may describe what we are seeing.

geoteacher8 is offline   Reply With Quote