Special Education

No curriculum

>

Rukiddingme

Rukiddingme

No curriculum
Old 01-24-2019, 09:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Iíve been spending a lot of time planning lessons and looking for activities to use with my students.

I was told by principal today that I should have my own from classes I took. I havenít had any budget to purchase anything or any help finding resources.

I work with older students with autism.

Am I wrong for expecting my school to provide some type of curriculum?

anna

Old 01-25-2019, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

No you are not wrong. That principal is inept . Go elsewhere for work;your field specialty is highly sought after.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Are there other SpEd teachers
Old 01-25-2019, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

in your district? What do they do? Is there a book room or other storage where older texts are found? What does your SpEd director say? Can you tap into the middle school or elementary for materials for the kids with low academic levels?

I agree that they should be helping somehow--either providing a curriculum or showing you how to access stuff.

I have the same student population. Look at your students' levels for reading, writing and math.

Then, Google is your best friend in this situation. I mainly use Readworks.org for Reading Passages and Math-aids.com for math. For Writing, I use a variety but it is loosely based on the 6 traits Writing Method. I get a lot of stuff off here (PT) for that.

I also use a lot of the Task Cards here as a way to do individualized "stations" work.

Many companies, including Evan Moor, have whole workbooks online as pdfs. I do occasionally use Teachers Pay Teachers but some of it is babyish when you choose items at their academic level.

Anyway, until you get something better-or a different job, you can always ask here. If we know of anything to help, we will.
Lottalove is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-25-2019, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes, it's wrong that nothing is provided, but it's also incredibly common. At my first school I had nothing. At my second school I was a gen ed teacher, but knew the sped teachers were provided with nothing because the one I worked with enviously asked me how it was actually having a curriculum.

At my current school I had nothing for a long time. Our title 1 teachers were provided with new curriculum every couple of years. Thankfully I did get around a $200 budget every year, but I also had to buy testing protocols out of that (we're required to do formal academic testing for evals).

I bought some basic supplies from an orton gillingham website and some explode the code booklets which I used heavily. My school also had an old book room that I got books from. I also got some other phonics materials when the gen ed classes abandoned the phonics program they were using, and the secretary gave me the leftovers that were going to be thrown out .

One year, I had a ST and her field supervisor commented that the students should be reading decodable text with the pattern they were working on in that lesson vs. a "regular book." I looked at her and said, "You're right, but we don't have any. Are you going to provide those?"

Last year we got a new P who seemed slightly more interested in sped than my previous bosses. I pitched several fits about my lack of materials, especially in relation to the title 1 program. She somewhat listened, but I'm still last on the totem pole. She bought SPIRE as a reading intervention, but I was only given the first 3 levels (of 8) "because my kids are lower." Title, of course, got all 8 levels. The training was also planned on a day I had IEP meetings (and yes, she knew that ahead of time).

I was told that I should let the title 1 teachers get it up and running, and then I could ask them for support with using it in my groups. This year I'm very close to finishing the levels I have with my oldest group, and I had to ask approximately 23423 times for the next levels- I was finally told ONE level was ordered, which I'm not even sure I believe.

I also happened upon a math curriculum that was not intended for me at all- when it was delivered, they asked the secretary and she said to take it to my room. The title teachers didn't start working on math until a full year later, and since I'd been using the program since last year I've managed to convince them it's "mine." It's tier 2, but it's better than nothing. I adapt the materials for my needs.

If you're considering job hunting, I'd make sure to ask what curriculum/materials/resources are provided for the position, and beware of vague answers. TBH I wouldn't get your hopes up that you'll find somewhere with materials. One of the reasons I've stayed at my current school is because now I'm used to not having to make everything myself and I don't want to go back to that!

Last edited by Haley23; 01-25-2019 at 08:04 PM..
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote
cgjio

cgjio

Old 01-26-2019, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You are not wrong to think you should get a curriculum provided. And your experience is common. I remember being a new teacher and asking about access to curriculums and everyone just laughed. Over the years I have purchased a lot of curriculums with my own money for my students. The day I am done at my school, everything will walk out the door with me. I did finally get one curriculum last year and it is not bad, but it fills about on hour of a 6.5 hour day.

Tsy2013

Old 01-27-2019, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I teach in a resource setting, I have to use the grade level curriculum, however; I am provided with it! Even the SDA teacher is provided with curriculum. This is Elementary but, across the parish all SPED teachers have curriculum. SPED is high priority when it comes to testing.
Tsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote