Special Education

Action Research Plan

>

lrosk

Action Research Plan
Old 01-27-2019, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all!

I'm in the process of starting grad school. One being a action research plan course. I'm in the process of narrowing down topics. I wanted to get second opinions on if i'm on the right track. I'm an autistic support teacher and would like to stick to learning / researching more about the ASD population.

1 Do the effects of the TEACCH method increase student compliancy, decrease behaviors, and increase independency in an autistic support classroom?
2. How do visuals effect students in an AS classroom?
3. Pecs / communication

They second 2 are not terribly thought out, just things i'm interested in.

Any guidance and opinions are welcome!

lrosk is offline   Reply With Quote

misscurlyj

Action research plan
Old 01-28-2019, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hello!
I just finished grad school myself and had to complete an action plan as part of one of my last classes. I like the idea presented in #1 but I think it should be more specific of the three outcomes: increase compliancy, decrease behaviors, or increase independence. By narrowing it down to one outcome (certainly the others may occur as well), the research, action plan, data collection, data analysis, etc...becomes much more easier to manage.
misscurlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
15tolifeMI

15tolifeMI

Old 01-28-2019, 07:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There is certainly a ton of research on all three topics. It probably depends the format your university expects. I had to write 50 pages using 25 studies from peer reviewed journals.
I agree with pp to narrow down the focus on topic 1. I also have very mixed feelings about the term compliance for students with ASD. Any compliance issue I have every had in my 10 years teaching students with ASD was due to unaddressed issues or unmet needs, and as soon as that was fixed there were no compliance issues. If it was not fixable my expectation of compliance was unrealistic/unkind. In other words, a focus on compliance does not address underlying issues in my opinion, but will increase inappropriate behaviors. Secondly I have concerns about compliance being an expectation for my students considering the exponent abuse rates of this population. I think it is more important to teach ways to opt out safely and appropriatly.(Getting of my soap box now)
Using visuals should have a ton of research behind it and a topic for 'how does it affect' seems a too obvious in it's outcome for a topic. Maybe something like 'How to address sensory differences to support learning'
I think topic 3 could work as well. It seems the current tide is more in support of technology like prologue for AACs. As always it really depends on the student's needs. But I think a topic on communication aides for students with autism could be interesting.