Special Education

talk to me about visual motor/processing supports

>

Kinderkr4zy

talk to me about visual motor/processing supports
Old 01-28-2019, 09:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hiya all!

My son had an IEP already with an ED, and OHI qualifiers (depression, anxiety touettets, ADHD and OCD). Today was his triennial and the testing by the school showed (for the first time after them saying several times that their testing didnt support this) That my son has a visual motor issues and visual processing delays. I brought them my own outside testing 6 years ago that showed that but they refused it and I didnt push it hard enough at the time because, well, I didnt have the money to fight and they darn well knew it (just getting my own outside testing done at my own expense took me 2 years to pay off my credit card). Infact I am pretty sure they arent dodging it now because I had his testing done by county office of ed people rather than the local district people-but thats an old wound for me...any way!

Well now my child may finally get some support for this but what should I be asking for or looking at? I guess I had figured that the ship had sailed on his ever getting support for visual motor and visual processing so it hasnt been on my research radar.

I dont have the full 411 on his results other than that he has a new qualifier since we have to hold a part 2 for the meeting because some people couldnt be there to give there finding in full.

But I am pretty sure they will find what I have been saying since upper elementary-despite have everything that he needed to be a successful reader-he was high in all reading skills- he still he struggled and had no comprehension and had trouble with tracking words across the page. He also struggled with "busy pages" in other subjects like and with text features like timelines, infographics, diagrams, maps, ect.

What are good services to help with that in a 10th grader?

Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Old 01-29-2019, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I know this is no help at all, but you really need to know the type of processing disorder and not just the qualifier.

This website may help: https://www.understood.org/en/learni...UaAtf6EALw_wcB

It lists the types of processing disorders and what they most likely affect. When you know what it is specifically affected, you will better know what to ask for. Does that make sense?
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Old 01-29-2019, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Have you considered/attempted vision therapy? I work with some (elementary and upper elementary) students that have shown great improvement in these areas after vision therapy services through an outside provider.

Most of the accommodations I can think of are probably things you are already familiar with: scribe or note-taker, copy of displayed text/board notes on paper that is closer and movable, verbal directions to accompany written, highlighted or notated assignments to provide extra support on directions, simplified/uncluttered format to documents, tinted tracking bar overlay, highlighter as tool, audio and/or speech-to-text, color coded materials
WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 01-29-2019, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
I know this is no help at all, but you really need to know the type of processing disorder and not just the qualifier.

This website may help: https://www.understood.org/en/learni...UaAtf6EALw_wcB

It lists the types of processing disorders and what they most likely affect. When you know what it is specifically affected, you will better know what to ask for. Does that make sense?]
If they find the same issues as they cited in my original testing which I still have the paper work for, and I think they will, his visual processing issues are with: figure ground, visual spacial, and visual closure.

Also the OT cited visual motor integration in addition to the psych's report.

Last edited by Kinderkr4zy; 01-29-2019 at 08:19 PM..
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

In that case,
Old 01-30-2019, 06:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
he still he struggled and had no comprehension and had trouble with tracking words across the page. He also struggled with "busy pages" in other subjects like and with text features like timelines, infographics, diagrams, maps, etc.
Your description here fits in perfectly with the new information you added in the second post.

He may need to ask for "clean" copies of documents and powerpoints. Those the teachers make themselves or are editable can be cut and pasted into a new Word doc without all the background/side stuff up mentioned. Or get a full page word/line tracker so that the remainder of the page is blocked out.

I agree with the PP too. I'd forgotten about Vision Therapy. They can teach him some strategies and exercises that help.

Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote