The Job Search

When Do Principals Hire?

>

hprynne1685

hprynne1685

When Do Principals Hire?
Old 02-06-2019, 08:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Before Christmas, I decided that it's time for me to move on from my current position. I put in my application in a few districts, emailed a few principals, and was interviewed at one of my top choices a couple of weeks ago. My question is...at what time of the year do principals give time to staffing and hiring? I know it's still early in the year, but is there a time when I can expect to hear something or begin to see job postings for next year?

Also, in your experience what are signs you'll make it for a second interview? Signs they found you a match for their school? On the interview I completed recently, the principal told me not to panic if he doesn't get right back with me, they have such and such to do, and I did well. Of course, I'm not going to sit around and wait but at the same time, I'm wondering if I just need to give up on thinking I may go to the next round of interviews at that school.

flutetoot

Old 02-09-2019, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Around here (VA), they usually start posting for next year in March. Some postings have already started.

As for the second interview - I wish I could tell you. I have had interviews where the P has taken me for a tour of the school and brought me to "my room" - only to never hear from them again. Others where I have thought I bombed the interview, only to be offered a position.
flutetoot is offline   Reply With Quote

geoteacher8

Old 02-09-2019, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm in the Midwest, and my district is now posting jobs, so I anticipate that we will begin hiring this month. Oh, and we don't do second interviews. it is one and done.
geoteacher8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Testyteach

Be patient
Old 02-15-2019, 08:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I know it's hard, but they really have to wait before they hire, and it might not be until April or May until they can give you a firm offer. I would try to distract myself as much as possible in the meantime. I'm trying to relocate myself, and the interview/ hiring process is such an obstacle with all the red tape. I'm at the point that I'm putting my future in the powers that be, and I'm willing to seek employment out of education if necessary. Teaching is a very tough job, and it only gets harder and harder every year, and I thought it would be the other way around. Anyway, good luck to you, and I hope you find a satisfying position for the next school year!
Testyteach is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 02-23-2019, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It's really going to depend on the area- I'm sure the districts near you have some sort of timeline that is posted on their website.

My county sends out a letter of intent to current employees in January. By the end of the month, they have a general idea of what vacancies they might have. Principals can start extending offers to internal employees on Feb. 1. But I know some teachers new to the county were extended offers the end of Dec. or beginning of January. I accepted an offer at a new school a few weeks ago :P I'd research the HR calendar!

UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

grade2rocks

Old 02-28-2019, 06:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

In my district, one's first interview is done at the district level, which just gets one into a hiring "pool".

Jobs for the next year really aren't posted until May; and then current employees who are being non-voluntarily transferred (pink slipped) interview first; then current employees who are voluntarily transferring are interviewed next.

It often isn't until August that everything settles off and principals interview from the pool! It is not unusual to be hired the week before school starts.

So don't give up hope- things can move very slowly!
grade2rocks is online now   Reply With Quote