Special Education

What sped position is right for me?

>

JJJ2

JJJ2

What sped position is right for me?
Old 02-06-2019, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am currently a resource teacher in an elementary school. I am beginning to feel burnt out and am not sure if this is the right position for me. I have over 30 kids on my caseload and most of them have social/emotional service needs. Many of these students are highly disruptive and many chronically non-compliant and violent. I am having difficulty staying on top of creating engaging lessons for them each day, tracking the mountains of data needed to keep accurate accounts of students' progress, support gen ed teachers to support students more intentionally, supervise and create lessons for my paras, manage disruptive behaviors throughout the day, attend meetings most days of the week, and stay in compliance with all the documentation in various bips, ieps, etc. I feel like I will never be able to catch up with everything I am supposed to do (after coming in each weekend and staying late everyday). I am wondering if anyone has advice for other positions in the sped field that may be a little more manageable? Are their any former elementary resource teachers that have found more bliss elsewhere in different positions? Are their any more outside the box work options for someone with a masters in special education that may not be a traditional teaching/case management position? Thanks for any help and guidance that you can offer!

Haley23

Old 02-06-2019, 08:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've only taught resource and can't imagine doing anything else within sped. Have you considered trying a different school/district to see if things are any better?

Of course I have behavior issues and have dealt with violent students, but my average student is fairly compliant. My previous P expected me to drop everything to deal with students who were having meltdowns constantly- even if the student wasn't even a sped student! That was extremely frustrating and I never met my IEP minutes.

My current P doesn't run things like at all. My IEP minutes/instructional time is absolutely sacred and she would never dream of pulling me out to deal with behaviors. The admin, psych, and counselor do all of that now. Behaviors within my resource groups typically aren't too awful because the work is more on the student's level and they're getting a lot more attention. I have dealt with very severe situations, but if it continues those students are moved to more restrictive placements (another thing my current P has been super supportive of ).

You couldn't pay me a million dollars to work in something like a self-contained affective needs/behavior classroom. I don't think I'd have the patience for severe needs nor do I want to have to deal with things like diapering or feeding. The only benefits to those positions that I can see is potentially having fewer other teachers to work with and being more "under the radar" as far as test scores/assessment data go. The most frustrating aspects of resource for me are dealing with all of the gen ed teachers and the crazy unrealistic expectations for the student's performance (i.e. expecting them to perform like they don't actually have a disability).

I've been dreaming of getting out of sped all together and becoming a reading interventionist for years, but unfortunately tons of other people in my area have the same idea. Those positions are almost always filled internally, and any new positions tend to be unstable and dependent on year to year funding.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote