Unique Learning System - does it work for VI students? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Special Education

Unique Learning System - does it work for VI students?

>

GuestULS

GuestULS

Unique Learning System - does it work for VI students?
Old 02-24-2019, 09:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My district is seriously considering adopting ULS for mod-severe classrooms. While it looks like a great program and garners solid reviews Iím unable to find if the program works for blind and visually impaired students. I typically get at least one such student each year and Iím worried that the curriculum would be unavailable to them.

pdxteacher

Old 02-25-2019, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use it in my self-contained program, and I have had several students with vision impairments. If you use the online features of the program, there is a text to speech function. But, I've found that unless you have access to a specific program for students with VI, you're going to be doing a lot of modifications no matter what curriculum you use.
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

momteachsis

Used it with Student who was blind
Old 02-28-2019, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I had a student who was blind, and had the online access. We did not feel like it was valuable to her. Basically we could have read everything to her just like the computer. For her accommodations we had to pair objects with text. ULS monthly curriculum stories are Social Studies and Science based. It would be very difficult some months to find real objects to pair with the stories, and especially the answer choices for the comprehension questions.
momteachsis is offline   Reply With Quote