Help

The Job Search

teacher portfolio

>

teacher portfolio
Old 02-25-2019, 08:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Good morning all!

What do your teacher portfolios highlight? Or include?

I taught for over ten years, took the current year off to care for ailing parents, and now looking for a job for the upcoming school year.

I am not sure how to find a teaching job in the current market. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

UVAgrl928

Old 02-25-2019, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

To be honest, portfolios are a little outdated. I didnít have one when I applied for my first teaching position 11 years ago, and havenít used one since. I do have a class website though that I make sure to include on my email and resume- this gives them an idea that Iím tech saavy, and they can see different activities Iíve done through pics and videos. When Iíve sat in on interviews, the general consensus has been that you feel obligated to look at these portfolios.
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

Testyteach

Not too important
Old 03-05-2019, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I spent a lot of time making one a few years ago, and the hiring team never asked for it. I also interviewed a couple of times last month, and no one asked for it those times either. I'm honestly so busy with my current teaching duties that I don't have time for much more than updating my cover letter and resume. I would strongly suggest looking up interview questions and thinking how you will respond. Also, smiling, shaking hands, and sending thank-yous after the interviews can make the difference. Good luck!
Testyteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Gigi814

Old 03-07-2019, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think portfolios are very beneficial if used as a way to supplement your answers. I would never set it down and hope that a principal asks to look through it. As I am asked questions, I flip to that section of my portfolio and show what I am talking about.

I used a one inch binder for my portfolio. I have five sections:
- Resume: This section has a page protector that holds extra copies of my resume.
- Teaching Style: I include pictures of ways I use technology, how I run literacy stations, and pictures of science/STEM experiments. I use this section to show that my teaching style is very engaging and hands-on.
- Classroom Management: This section contains a picture of my Friday Fun board, a behavior certificate I send home each week, and a gold tag (all part of my positive behavior management system). I also included a think sheet, apology of action chart, pictures of how I manage transitions and volume levels, and examples of how I use whole body listening. I also added some pictures of my classroom since I have met principals who want to see how I set up my room.
Lesson Plans: I have math, religion, and ELA examples in this section.
Parent Communication: This section shows my parent response sheet, newsletter, and information packet.
Gigi814 is offline   Reply With Quote