Help

Special Education

ED/BD academically low

>

SpedLearn

ED/BD academically low
Old 03-12-2019, 04:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is this population usually far behind academically?

SpedLearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Vague answer but--it depends
Old 03-12-2019, 06:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In some cases, so many years are spent putting academics on the back burner in order to accommodate behaviors, they will have gaps due to that alone.

I have a 16 yo sophomore on my caseload who has an average IQ (FS97-105) depending on the test/year. She has some huge gaps in learning but has spent years in and out of hospitals/residential and in SpEd.

One of the first things we are taught is to reduce frustrations or triggers by lowering the difficulty level or length/depth of the assignments.

So there is no one answer. ED/BD kids are all up and down the IQ scale. But some who are average or higher may still have learning gaps.
Lottalove is online now   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Academics
Old 03-12-2019, 12:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My district expects the ED classrooms to use the regular-ed curriculum, with reading and math intervention (in the classroom) as needed.

It is not unusual to have an ED student with no academic goals.

However, some ED students do have learning disabilities, but it is hard to get an additional diagnosis after you have already gotten the ED label.

Like PP said, a lot of these students are in and out of different placements (and homes) so I'm guessing by the time they hit high school, there are even larger academic gaps.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

SpedLearn

Old 03-12-2019, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am having a tough time wrapping my mind around the academics with this population. Most of my students are 2-3 years behind grade level. My district expects us to use the regular ed curriculum and present everything at grade level to our students. All I am seeing is them falling further and further behind and having wider gaps. Not to mention the amount of disruptions in this type of setting which has an impact on the learning environment.

When you say academics are placed on the back burner, what do you mean exactly?
SpedLearn is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 03-12-2019, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think "back burner" means that a lot of teaching time is spent working on successful participation. To remove the challenge of academics, the students are given work that isn't frustrating - i.e. work that is easy enough they should already be able to do a majority of it. This is often tricky to do - the work has to be low-frustration, but still engaging enough that students aren't bored or think it's "baby work."

I think it's wrong that your district isn't allowing you to modify the curriculum to meet their needs - isn't that what the I in IEP is for?!

pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-13-2019, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Of course every student is different, but IME most of my ED students have been bright but end up behind due to missed instruction. They're constantly in the office, suspended, out of the room, etc. Even when they're in the room, it's not like they're learning when they're throwing a fit. Natural smarts can only get you so far. I've only had one student in my career who I think truly had an emotional disability AND a learning disability.

Like the pp said, the academics end up getting put on a back burner because you have to try to intervene with the behavior in order to get the student to access the instruction in the first place. The best academic intervention in the world has no impact on someone who isn't able to access the instruction due to their behavior.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote