Help

ARCHIVE

Reader's Theatre

>

Pam4

Reader's Theatre
Old 06-17-2006, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Help! I am using Reader's Theatre as a part of my action research for my graduate studies this fall. I am searching for books or articles that talk about the results it has had on reading comprehension. I am also interested in some input from anyone who uses it in their classroom. I'd love to be able to use a quote from another teacher in my paper. Also, does anyone know of great sites online for resources?

Pam4 is offline   Reply With Quote

tbsrwilson

Reader's Theater Sites
Old 06-17-2006, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Pam,
If you go to my I Keep Bookmarks site I have a bunch of Reader's Theater sites marked. Hop this helps!
Teresa
http://www.ikeepbookmarks.com/browse.asp?account=112680
tbsrwilson is offline   Reply With Quote

imalith

reader's theater
Old 06-18-2006, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've never used Reader's Theater for reading comprehension. I've used it for fluency. Usually the kids pick a play and they have to practice it by switching around the roles. For the performance, they all choose a role and practice it again.

My end of the year activity is for kids to write their RT scripts with a partner. This is a difficult task that requires the ability to condense a story to mainly dialogue. I encourage kids to choose a "favorite book". This can be a picture book or a chapter book. My really high kids love the challenge of a chapter book.

The last week of school we read all the student scripts and perform them in front of a video camera. They love to watch themselves.
imalith is offline   Reply With Quote
maryteach

maryteach

Rt
Old 06-18-2006, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use reader's theatre, usually at the end of the year, after the curriculum is finished but I still have a few weeks with them. I am a lang. arts teacher in a middle school, with four rotations of lang. arts. Each class does a couple of plays, and gets to come watch the other classes do theirs. Next year, I may do it before the end of the year, as my schedule will be somewhat different. This is the (authentic) way that I assess speaking and listening, two of our standards. I could make everyone give a one-minute speech about their family instead, which my content partner does, but that sounds so BORING.

Every year I give a questionnaire at the end of the year, asking what worked for them and what didn't in lang. arts. RT is one of the activities they always say they LOVE--but it does come right at the end of the year, so maybe it's just that it's fresh in their minds.

Easy to put together, easy to grade....

Jalon

Reader's Theater
Old 06-18-2006, 09:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You might look on the Int'l Reading Asso. web site. They may have something in their archives of articles. I attended a great Reader's Theater workshop a couple of years ago while at an IRA conference, so am guessing you could find something on the site. Wish I could remember the presenter's name...he was great.

Personally, I use it for fluency and my reluctant readers love it. All the kids do, actually, so I use it as much as I can or time allows.

Jalon is offline   Reply With Quote

pamnpr

Reading Lady
Old 06-18-2006, 07:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Heres a link to Reader's Theatre from the Reading Lady. "SMILE"

http://www.readinglady.com/modules.p...ads&file=index
pamnpr is offline   Reply With Quote

Pam4

Pam4
Old 06-19-2006, 03:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for the link. It's great. I put it in my Favorites so I can look back a it. I can already see many scripts I want to use.
Pam4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ilvtching

Rt
Old 06-19-2006, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

readinga-z.com also has many Reader's Theaters scripts... you may need a membership though!
Ilvtching is offline   Reply With Quote

pamnpr

Reading AtoZ
Old 06-19-2006, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This is a great site. Our school paid for the site last year. It has mini books at all levels that you can print out - just tons of things! I hope they are going to do this again. I think it's under 30.00 a year to subscribe. "SMILE"
pamnpr is offline   Reply With Quote

smile&wave

I know your post is from way back but...
Old 09-23-2008, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I, too, am doing my action research on Readers' Theater and I would love to know how yours panned out. I am having difficulty with my literature review because I can't fnd any action research conducted on this reading strategy. Can you point me in the right direction and let me know if you considered your research project a success. I appreciate your time!!

smile&wave is offline   Reply With Quote