Zero's aren't Permitted - ProTeacher Community

iteachscience

Zero's aren't Permitted
Old 08-03-2008, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My school is wanting to use ZAP this year at our school, but are looking for ways to IMPLEMENT...does anyone use it at your school that could tell me the SYSTEM of how yours works? We have a few ideas, but we aren't exactly sure. Any suggestions would be great!! We are wanting to keep it a program where the students work through lunch; many students can't stay after school due to low SES issues.....we really need the help!!! Thanks

iteachscience is offline   Reply With Quote

KAN

Old 08-03-2008, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We have used it and kids had to stay after school two days a week if they had missing work. Since that won't work for you, I would do the lunch detention thing.
In class, if the student didn't have an assignment they filled out a form that basically said they didn't do their homework, what the assignment the was, and it gave parents the option to make sure the child had the homework completed the next school day for half credit or stay for detention for full credit.
I don't know if this is any help to you. Good luck.
KAN is offline   Reply With Quote

lady brave

ZAP Lunch
Old 08-03-2008, 09:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We assign ZAP during lunch where they are given a sack lunch. Also they serve ZAP during Zone - which is basically a free advisory/homeroom time in the gym 4 days a week. Sometimes ZAP afterschool if they mess around during ZAP Lunch. The only downfall we've had is the attitude some kids have of "oh - I'll blow off homework and be zapped and take the late grade" If we gave 50's instead of 70's for latework - I think the laziness might end? At least for my own personal students it did - when I told them I count off 10 points a dy and if it starts off 3 days late from a possible 100 - and you get points off - well some did the math and it wasn't worth it.

Anyway - the system was they have a teacher who organizes it. We have forms we fill out and attach homework to. She organizes it by lunch and creates lists with student id numbers, which are posted in the halls. Plus - the morning the ZAp is assigned, by 2nd period, those particular students are given passes letting them know they have ZAp that day. If someone is absent - we turn passes back in with Absent marked, and they go in queue for next day. But lunch does work well.

I'd not let parents bring thm lunch either whenin ZAP - becasue one little boy we have is a frequent flyer who's parents bring him tons of take out everyday - and he eats 20 or the 30 minutes of lunch. But - that's another story.
lady brave is offline   Reply With Quote

hapyeaster

Zap
Old 08-04-2008, 05:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have had ZAP for the past two years, and I anticipate it will be around again this year. Our program is usually run quite well, and there is one person in charge of scheduling the students in ZAP. Here are the basics:

On <B>Friday</B> at close of day, teacher reviews gradebook and makes list of students and assignments with zeros. Teacher puts names (last name first) and assignment info into excel worksheet

Teacher forwards the excel doc via email to ZAP coordinator by <B>Monday</B> , no later than the first bell. If my assignment are in Word, I will attach them as well and he prints them out.

ZAP coordinator (he is in our CMC) puts all ZAPS into the system and schedules each child. They are pulled from elective classes to make up zeros in academic classes, and he tries to not pull them from the elective every time for repeat offenders. He prints their ZAP sheet an puts it in the teacher's box that gave them ZAP.

<B>Tuesday</B> , the teacher gives the ZAP sheet to the student in class. It tells them WHEN they are to report to ZAP, WHAT assignment is being ZAPPED, and the grading rubric for ZAP.

IF the student can produce the ZAPPED work in class at that time the ZAP pass is handed to them, the teacher can take it and grade according to district policy for late work. Maximum grade is 70.

ZAP is on <B>Wednesday</B> for 8th, and Thursday for 7th grade. I do not accept ZAP work on the day of ZAP!! They MUST report to ZAP and do their work in ZAP class, on Wednesday. Maximum grade for ZAP class is 60, and I then deduct points from their if they don't do the assignment up to standard.

ZAP work is placed back in teacher's box by <B>Thursday</B>.

If the student skips ZAP, they are dealt with by administration

I sometimes have 20-30 students that are ZAPPED, and it can make for extra work on me to get those names and assignements to the ZAP coordinator. However, it does let the kids know that they can't just get away with not doing work.

It gets tricky around TAKS time, and ZAP goes on hiatus because they are also involved in TAKS scheduling and testing details.

The process starts all over for the next week on Friday. You can ONLY send that weeks zeros to ZAP. It gets tricky when I have a kid that was absent for 3 days, and it is excused. They then get extra time for the work. Then, if they end up getting a zero, it makes it tricky to give them ZAP because it goes back to the previous week. Make sense?

That was LONG!
hapyeaster is offline   Reply With Quote

catfactory

Old 08-18-2008, 06:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My school has tried both the lunch approach (huge headache) and using our advisory time. It was up to the core team to coordinate whose room was being used, etc. Still a huge problem. ZAP did not alleviate any of our real problem. I believe if a late score was permitted (or hey, even a zero) the problem would be taken care of. Previous to this mess, each teacher was allowed to institute their own system of dealing with late papers (Parental complaints over inconsistency was the prime mover in us going to ZAP). When we had autonomy, I assigned zeros and usually had very few of them--primarily at the start of the year--once the kids realized what would happen, they did't turn in late stuff. You will always have those students who have issues with this sort of thing, but they usually have some other problems as well and the late work is just a symptom. ANYWAY, I am not a fan of ZAP, however it gets implemented.

catfactory is offline   Reply With Quote

SDScience

NEW ZAP teacher
Old 08-10-2010, 08:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I was just assigned to be the ZAP teacher for students reporting to my room over their lunch period. They will be given a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and must complete their homework.
I am very concerned on how to manage this. Where will the homework be coming from, do I have to monitor the students to be zapped or how is this going to work?!!
My I am getting sick thinking about it!!
Can someone assist me in best practices they have used as I can piece something together for my school that as implemented this program without backup!!
SDScience is offline   Reply With Quote

USFgrad2012

Zap
Old 08-08-2011, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would like to see if anyone has parent letters and/or hard copies since we are new this year to start ZAP!
USFgrad2012 is offline   Reply With Quote

USFgrad2012

ZAP Teacher
Old 08-08-2011, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Has anyone helped you with ZAP? I need help as well - hard copies and parent letters. We are just starting this year as well.

USFgrad2012

Need help with ZAP!
Old 08-08-2011, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Do you have any hard copies and/or letters to start ZAP?