Help

Social Studies

interactive notebooks

>

tlee

interactive notebooks
Old 06-18-2006, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have my students use interactive notebooks in social studies. If you use the interactive notebook, I would like to know how you grade them. I have tried several ways, but I have not really found the right way. Do you use a rubric? Thank you in advance for your help.

tlee is offline   Reply With Quote

Bulldogmom

Interactive Notebook?????
Old 06-20-2006, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What is an interactive notebook? How do you use it in Social Studies?
Bulldogmom is offline   Reply With Quote

tlee

interactive notebook
Old 06-21-2006, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

An interactive notebook if from History Alive. The concept is to use all learning styles, or at least most of them. You have a composition book. The right side of the notebook is for the teacher (notes, quesitons, etc.) and the left side of the notebook is for the student to do whatever it takes for them to learn what is on the right side (draw, poems, songs, organizers). Please look interactive notebooks up on the web. You will find addition information.
sanaa

sanaa

detail please
Old 06-22-2006, 03:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

i am interrested in the idea of interactive note book in social studies, so may u explain more about it?
thanks

tlee

details interactive notebook
Old 06-22-2006, 04:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love it! This notebook is very organized and will keep the students organized. They never take anything out of the notebook. It is their portfolio.

As I explained before, the teacher side is the right side of the notebook . All items that are to be tested are on this side of the notebook. Notes, questions, etc. If the teaher has a handout, the students glue the page in their notebook so that the sides are not sticking out.This side is reserved for the teacher.

The left side of the notebook is the student side. They are to do anything it takes for them to learn the material found on the teacher side of the page. They can draw, write a poem, re-write the notes, create a puzzle. Anything to learn the material.

I tell them when I grade the notebook, one thing that I look for is their work on the left side of the page.

It takes a little time to prepare to use the notebook. I have the students number the pages so that all the students will be working on the same page of the notebook. It is very important also that the teacher keep an updated copy of the notebook for the students to look at in case of absences.

I have found that the students stay organized because they never have to take anything out of the notebook. All handouts are glued in. The students will like this notebook because they only will have this one notebook to keep up with.

Please get more information about this notebook from the web. Type in "interactive notebook" using google. You will get ideas there.

wig

Old 06-22-2006, 05:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I too use interactive noteboooks and love them. One thing I do a little differently is that L=Left = Learning (teacher directed) and R=Right = Response(Student). This just made more sense to me. It doesn't really make much difference as long as you are consistent.

This site gives a very good explanation of an Interactive Notebook
http://www.greece.k12.ny.us/instruct...venotebook.htm

This is a more concise explanation and has a pretty good rubric on the bottom
http://www.journeytoexcellence.org/p...notebook.phtml

Another rubric:
http://www.ljhs.sandi.net/faculty/MT...tebookrubr.htm

This site has an excellent example of one.
http://www.nonags.org/members/dasaunders/index2.html
wig is offline   Reply With Quote

tlee

Old 06-22-2006, 06:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you. It does make more sense to do it that way. The students will understand it if I do the notebooks L=Left=Learning and R=Right=Response. Also, thank you for the websites. These will help others also. Any other information will be of help to those who are interested in interactive notebooks.

wig

Old 06-22-2006, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It makes sense to the kids to do it that way. But I have never read anything on Interactive notebooks that does it that way. Several teachers on another chatboard I frequesnt do it this way also.

I agree that setting it up takes some time. But it is worth the time.

Another thing I learned is to always have a model book. If I give them a G.O. to glue in the book, I glue it in mine, etc. I always make a note of what I am expecing them to do on the right side. this helpful for the students who are absent. too.

I'm usually a little more specific about what I want on the right, but the way they do it is usually up to them.

tlee

Old 06-22-2006, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

How often do you grade the interactive notebooks? I start out grading them often or looking at them often to make sure the students have an understanding of the notebook. I know some teachers that grade them twice a semester and others that grade them once. I like the rubric you sent for us to see.

wig

Old 06-22-2006, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have done it two ways:

*midterm and end of quarter
*end of each unit

I found the second a bit easier since I teach 4 different SS classes and this way I don't have all of them at the same time. I usually grade as many of them as I can while they are doing the assessment.

If I suspect that some are not keeping up, I give an open notes quiz.

tlee

Old 06-23-2006, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have also used open notes quiz. I like to surprise them with this early so the students know that I quiz them this way. Hopefully, they will be more concerned about keeping up.
Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. Rogers

Grading Interactive notebooks
Old 06-23-2006, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

When grading my students notebooks i first look for effort. it is very easy to see if a student has put in effort to thier work. then i look the meaning. did the student complete the assignment. after that you see if there is extra invovled. a student might have done more that required. once you have checked for this then you decide how much it is worth. i grade them on a scale of ten points. 6 for correct answers and complesion. the rest for effort. I hope i was helpfull. good bye.
Mrs. Rogers

wig

Old 06-23-2006, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Is this how your teacher graded your notebooks, "Mrs. Rogers"?

Margaret916

Oooh I've got it!
Old 06-24-2006, 09:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

My notebooks were the thing I dreaded most at the beginning of the year. They were fun to do and the kids were learning, but grading them had me pulling my hair out.

Then I found a tip and modified it a bit and VOILA! I could grade them without losing my mind.

First -- find some great stamps. When kids finish a page or bring in a page that's homework, have them get it out, opened up during morning work. Walk around the room and quickly decide if they did it and put effort in and followed instructions, partially did it with minimal effort and didn't really pay attention to directions or didn't finish/do the work. Then in the top corner, give either a right side up stamp, sideways or upside down.

Then at the end of the chapter/quarter/unit all you have to do is count up how many stamps you gave, figure out if most are upright, sideways or upside down and give a letter grade accordingly.

Also in each chapter I usually have one involved project.... writing/designing a postcard, journal entry, answer review questions. It's much less overwhelming to count stamps and grade ONE page per kid.

Enjoy!
Margaret916 is offline   Reply With Quote
haramoun

haramoun

rubric
Old 06-24-2006, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

so. grading an interactive note book is not realated to right or wrong it .
i think a rubric is needed

J.Elaine

Interactive Notebooks
Old 07-11-2006, 08:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Hello, Everybody!

I found some spiral notebooks on sale at WalMart tonight -- $0.10 each -- so I bought one for each of my students. I'm ready to implement Social Studies Interactive Notebooks this year. I went to all the websites given above (and even more) and THINK I know what to do.

Okay, so here's what I'm wondering now. I'm always "out there" looking for some way to make teaching/learning better. I try a lot of things, but sometimes I have trouble following through. Does anyone else have this problem? What can I do to keep these interactive notebooks going after I've taken the time to have my students set them up. Any advice?
J.Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote

wig

Do your own noteboook
Old 07-12-2006, 02:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

When you do your planning, fill out your own notebook. It keeps you on task with using them and provides a master copy to help absent students and you when grading them. I always but the teacher directed "stuff in and on the right side take note of what I am expecting to see. I often give choices, so when I do, I also list the choices. Another advantage is that it helps you the following year. Unfortunately we changed SS texts in Grade 5-8 and while I can use them for reference this year, it will be like starting from scratch.

Also, my kids almost always ask if they need to open their notebooks. there are somedays we don't use them.

BTW: for those who have Meijers in the area, the notebooks are .08 each.

J.Elaine

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2006, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Thank you, wig! I just hope all you veteran Interactive Notebook users are still around when I get started with my students this fall, so I can get some more good advice as the challenges materialize along the way.

IMSaved2

Great Stamp
Old 07-12-2006, 06:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

My Cooperating teacher years ago had a picture of thumbs up stamp. She could use it thumbs up, sideways or upside down. I bought one (possibly from Really Good Stuff).
IMSaved2 is offline   Reply With Quote

J.Elaine

Thumbs Up stamp
Old 07-12-2006, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I bought mine from Really Good Stuff.
momofthree

momofthree

Interactive Notebooks
Old 07-12-2006, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I can not find the stamp. Any other ideas?

J.Elaine

Stamp
Old 07-12-2006, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Hey, momofthree!
I did a google search for "teacher stamps, thumbs up" and strangely enough, it worked. I found this place called www.safesecurestore.com (It was the first thing that came up on the google search.) From the safesecurestore, I clicked on "Fearless Design Teacher's Stamps" and from there, in box titled, "Best Sellers" I found "Thumbs Up/Down." The cost is $5.75. There are probably other places that have the stamp you need, and you may even find a better price. Good luck in you search!

JRichard

Old 07-18-2006, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I recently attended a History Alive! seminar and am very excited about the ISN and using more interactive activities.

I have found lots of good TCI-based lessons on the internet, plus I got several at the seminar I attended (I teach Texas History and Humanities, so there isn't a book published by TCI for my subjects).

My main concern is that I work with an interdisciplinary team of teachers (math, reading, English, science and social studies all have the same students which we call a "team".) My team teachers consist of mostly veterans who have found methods that work for them. We use a "Duck Binder" -- a supply binder named after our team mascot (The Mighty Ducks) where the students keep their planner, clean paper, colored pencils, pens, sharpeners, etc. Each teacher has a binder. Every teacher organizes their binder differently, but it's all 3-ring. Now I'm about to be different, using a spiral. There is one teacher in particular who does not like spirals at all (and she happens to be team leader).

I know ISNs can be used for other disciplines, but I don't see any of my team converting. Anyone have any suggestions on how to integrate the ISNs into my classroom without disrupting my team?

Also, I am required to write modifications for ESL and SE in my lesson plans. Any ideas on how to do this with the TCI approach? My trainers at the seminar just said, "It's already differentiated, so you don't need to list any mods."

TIA
Jenny
JRichard is offline   Reply With Quote

wig

Old 07-18-2006, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

WOW! That's a lot of binders for the students.

Go ahead with the binders. Number the pages so they don't take the pages out. OR have them put the spiral in their 3 ring binder.

I used several History Alive Units last year to try it out. We ordered it this year for 5 and 8. With the books come a Interactive notebook which I know I will not have after this year.

tlee

Old 07-18-2006, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I agree with wig's message. There are ways to adapt the notebook to what you need. Just make sure you try the notebook. You will love it and your students will like it also.

Terri

Sarah Harding

Interactive Student Notebook
Old 07-20-2006, 08:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Jenny,
I also attended a History Alive training the week after school got out. It was fabulous, but I have the luck of my district having bought the curriculum. I have been working on next year's plans ever since.I went through the training years ago and tried to develop curriculum but it is a big job. I admire all of the people who post who have done that! The woman who taught my training is from Texas; L Murray. Did she teach yours? Unless you really want to be able to put the spirals in the binder, I would recommend a composition book. That is what I am going to use because of durability. They are on sale at our Target for $.50 so I bought some extras. I have been making a powerpoint to teach my students, colleagues, and parents how to do all this new stuff. I hope it works!
Sarah
Sarah Harding is offline   Reply With Quote

JRichard

Old 07-20-2006, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Thanks for the ideas all :-) It is a lot of binders for the kids to carry. They have 6 binders (one for each core class and a supply binder). They may also have binders or notebooks for their two elective classes...this, and they have half lockers.

I really like the idea of a spiral. I see a binder ISN as being easy to tear pages out of (my students did this with my binders anyway, but it didn't matter as much). I've seen people recommend the Five Star spirals because of their durable cover and pockets. I think I will recommend these to the kids. I've bought several of the $.10 ones for those that chronically come to school with no supplies (do you have those? they say, "My mom is getting paid next week, she'll buy supplies then." When next week comes, no supplies...sad.)

I had originally wanted to keep the ISNs in the classroom, but I also like the parental interaction that can come from taking them home. I think I will let them take the ISNs home once a week (optional), and keep them in the classroom otherwise. What do you think? I'm still debating.

Sarah, I'd love to see your powerpoint if you don't mind. My email is jrichard@shermanisd.net

Jenny

Sarah Harding

Powerpoint
Old 07-20-2006, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Jenny and Wendy,
I am going on holiday but when I get back, I will send it to you. That will be in about 10 days. Thanks for showing interest. I am really enjoying ProTeacher! I am a newbee.
Sarah

Sarah Harding

ISN Cover
Old 07-20-2006, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

By the Way...
my little graphic is the cover of my ISN ;-)
Sarah

tlee

Powerpoint
Old 07-20-2006, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

Sarah

I would also like a copy of your powerpoint.

Terri

Last edited by tlee; 07-21-2006 at 06:29 AM..

wig

A suggestion to those posting your e-mails
Old 07-21-2006, 04:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

You are leaving yourself open to some unwanted e-mail by posting it on a public chatboard. When I was new to chatboards I did that once and I got an unbelievable amount of Spam within 24 hours. Perhaps just a coincidence, but I wouldn't take the chance. If you click on Sarah's name, you could send her a private message with your e-mail address.

JRichard

Old 07-21-2006, 06:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I'm not a newbie internet user :-) and I use chat boards all the time. I have a very effective spam filter and I have multiple addresses. I use one for private communication only, one for message boards, and one for school communication. I've never had any problems in the 10 years I've been using this email.

Jenny

wig

Old 07-23-2006, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

i apologize. I didn't intend to offend or to imply you didn't know what you were doing. It was just a suggestion.

JRichard

Old 07-23-2006, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

You didn't offend me I reread my post and I can see how it might have come off cold. I was just letting you know I was OK. I'm sorry myself for the miscommunication!

Jenny

wig

Old 07-23-2006, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

Well, aren't WE a sorry pair.

The written word is so often misunderstood, isn't it

MCW

Interactive Notebooks
Old 07-24-2006, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

I am always looking for new ways to help my students and make SS more interesting, I really like your ideas. if I send you my e-mail would you mind sending me your power point??? Many thanks!!
MCW is offline   Reply With Quote

jdonick

ISN notebook styles
Old 07-29-2006, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

Hi Everyone!

I recently began reading the messages at proteacher and have enjoyed it a ton especially the ISN ones! I figured that it was about time that I got in on the action and added some ideas that have worked for me so here goes.

Several teachers at my former school used the ISN but each had different formats. Last year a spiral notebook worked best for my students. I was actually in a co-teaching situation with the language arts teachers with 60+ kiddos in the room and the ONE notebook worked best. On one side was a SS cover and all of the SS stuff and when the students flipped it over it became their LA ISN. Because of the two subjects using the notebook, we suggested a 5 subject MEAD notebook that had college ruled paper.

It may seem silly to be so specific, but I certainly learned my lesson on this one. The MEAD 5 star college ruled notebooks are exactly 8.5x11 meaning that students can glue/tape in handouts with out a problem. Previously, when students used other notebooks there were several issues . . . 1. They needed additional supplies (scissors). 2. They made an additional mess. 3. They took longer than the other students and were always scrambling.

This year, (new district, new teaching scenario) I am offering students a choice of the MEAD 5 star college ruled or a 1-2 inch binder with 200+ sheet protectors so that the papers don't tear out.
jdonick is offline   Reply With Quote

lthompson

notebooks
Old 08-02-2006, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

I have used composition books for SS notetaking for two years and have been satisfied with that until I read some of the great ideas posted here. Now I need to ask for help. I am new to Proteacher and following the suggestion here I tried to send a private message to Sarah requestion her powerpoint. The site says I am not qualified to do that. Is it because I'm still new? Any suggestions? Thanks for everyone's ideas and support.
lthompson is offline   Reply With Quote

wig

Old 08-02-2006, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

You'll be able to send and receive Private Messages once you've visited signed in as your User Name for at least 7 days and posted with your User Name at least 5 times.

krosenberg

ISN Specifics
Old 08-07-2006, 09:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

Julie-

Funny that I ran into you here I have been doing a lot of research and I am planning on using the ISNs. It is definitely the easiest way for me to organize my two classes and a good learning tool for students. Do you think high school students would respond better to having the option of a binder with sheet protectors? I am worried about them finding taping/gluing juvenille.
krosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote

jdonick

So Funny to bump into you here!
Old 08-08-2006, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

Yes, I certainly hear what you are saying about the binders vs. notebooks and gluing/taping. I think that it is all how you present it. The HSers will probably prefer to tape . . .

The binder idea came from a kiddo last year (Alexis) who totally messed up her notebook and tore out pages putting them in sheet protectors to get organized. I saw her success with it and figured that it might work for others. Also, since my new district doesn't supply anything, I figured that the binders with sheet protectors might end up saving money because there won't be much need for glue/tape.

Let me know if you need any of the beginning of the year pages, ideas, etc. I can give you my new website with a lot of that stuff already posted! =)

jdonick

Kate - FYI
Old 08-08-2006, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

Just so you know, there are also a ton of ISN threads on other boards throughout PT. So you may want to hunt around other subjects and grade levels - there were some great discussions that led me to share other ISN ideas.

mam

Isn
Old 08-08-2006, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

Sarah,
Would you be willing to share your ISN powerpoint with me also?

Thanks,
Melissa
mam is offline   Reply With Quote

Sarah Harding

I'm sorry it has taken so long
Old 08-08-2006, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

I really don't know if the powerpoint will be helpful to anyone else, but I have really been enjoying making it. I just returned from a day long tech academy (goes through Friday) and we had a keynote by a guy named Vin Capone from Apple. It was a blast. Funny and I learned a lot. I also took iMovie and Podcasting. Whoa... how exciting! It was at my school and targeted teachers, so the focus was great. Makes my little powerpoint look inadaquate. I don't mind; it's more than I could do in June!
So I put it up on my .mac homepage and here is the info:

http://homepage.mac.com/sarahharding/

sharing
(Don't hit Frannie unless you want to admire my dog)
Download Interactive notebook etc.
Hope that it looks as cool on your computer as mine! haha
I hope it helps someone
Sarah

Last edited by Sarah Harding; 08-08-2006 at 07:08 PM..

jdonick

ISN Reflections for Students and Parents
Old 08-08-2006, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #46

I know that some teachers ask parents and students to reflect on the learning that is evidenced in the ISN.

For instance:
"What do you think is the most important/valuable lesson for your child in unit 4?"

"What did you like in the notebook and why?"

"What do you think could have been improved in the student's work?"

Does anyone have an example of the form/questions that you ask parents and students?

Phelan

what a great idea
Old 08-17-2006, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #47

First of all thanks for sharing this-

2nd- If you use binders and the kids leave them in the room, how do you store them?
Phelan is offline   Reply With Quote

JRichard

Old 08-17-2006, 05:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #48

I use a spiral and store them in cloth bins that are just about the length of the spiral. If I were using binders, I would probably store them in milk crates, with each one going an alternate direction (fat side on the left, fat side on the right) to make them all fit well.

HTH
Jenny

crockpotqueen

for math
Old 08-17-2006, 06:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #49

I used interactive notebooks for math last year. I would have them write notes or glue things in... but it was their total math resource.
I had them do little warm ups and self-assessments and practice in there and they made a table of contents so they could see what topics were covered on which date and what order they were in. It worked great and parents appreciated it, too. Keeping a notebook is an important skill for middle school and beyond. The note taking on their own will come later - they aren't ready for this is elem school, but this is a great start.

When I graded them, I just looked through them and searched for the important items I thought they should have in there. I kept my own notebook with everything in it that the kids should have so I'd know what to look for when it came time to look at the notebooks at the end of each quarter. I made sure those things were there and complete. I also considerd how neat and organized the notebook was and if they had followed directions. This was strictly for an effort grade as my administration said I wasn't allowed to count it as an academic grade.

You could also do spot checks weekly or monthly or whatever you decide... you could just do 10 students per week or something like that.
crockpotqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

jdonick

ISNs traveling
Old 08-18-2006, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #50

For my students, they take their ISNs (binders or spirals) home daily, so I do not have to worry about storing it. I protect their covers with contact paper to help preserve them a bit more during travel.

hrush

powerpoint?
Old 04-14-2007, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #51

I have decide to start using the interactive notebooks after reading several posts, but I like the idea of a powerpoint to explain it to my students. I will use this next year, but I would like to see your powerpoint if possible. This year we have a real problem with organization and I think maybe this will help with that. Thanks for any help you can provide.
hrush is offline   Reply With Quote

wig

Old 04-15-2007, 12:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #52

There is some discussion on interactive notebooks on the History Alive Chatboard including some rubrics.

http://www.teachtci.com/wCommunityBo...px?BoardID=656

jdonick

Thanks
Old 04-21-2007, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #53

Thanks, Wig, for the reminder about the TCI chatboard. It had been a while since I had been on. . . always interesting discussions there!

JRichard

Old 04-21-2007, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #54

I bookmarked this thread so I'd remember to post my powerpoints. I have a few that I have "collected" from the internet and adapted to suit my own needs. I will post them all on Monday during my prep.

Jenny

JRichard

Collected PPTs
Old 04-24-2007, 05:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #55

All of my PPTs exceed the limit of 300KB. I will upload them to my class website.

http://teacherweb.com/TX/PinerMiddle...ard/Photo1.stm

Jenny

wig

Old 04-24-2007, 07:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #56

Jenny: You have a very nice site. I am so limited to what I can do on mine because of the way the school set it up. Sigh! Thank you for sharing yours.
Alisomniac

Alisomniac

My methods (of madness)
Old 02-29-2008, 12:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #57

I check them frequently. In my class (World History) the notebooks are stored in the classroom, since we use them daily, and taken home over the weekend, so students can update. During the week I stamp assignments the day they are due, to ensure they are completed on-time... I have set dates for assignments to be due: reading notes on Monday, Planner/Organizer and take-home assignments on Tuesday, Book Review Questions on Thursdays and we have Quizzes on Thursdays. Fridays, we add in Extra-credit, and classwork assignments. I collect and grade classwork the day it is assigned in class, and they recieve it back on Fridays.... My stamp system also pre-grades the other assignments to make the whole process easier: students get 5 points for neatness of work, spelling and grammer, on-time, correct format and completeness. The other 10 points (every assignment is 15 pts in my class) are divided up among the questions, or for the quality of the work. Because of my stamping system, I can easily and quickly pre-grade the notebooks whenever I have time.... Notebook gets assigned a grade once per unit (two-three weeks), but I check it more frequently, and at random once per week....
Hope this long message helps. Basically- I over-plan and over-organize so that the entire process is easier to grade, easier to manage, and ensures that my students dont get away with slacking off on the notebook.

wig

Interactive Notebook Sites
Old 02-29-2008, 02:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #58

With all the talk of ISNs on this forum and others, I compiled a list of all the sites teachers have recommended and put them on a wiki. It is an open wiki so anyone can contribute to it. Since I put it together last summer, there are probably new ones which can be added.

http://interactive-notebooks.wikispaces.com/
Kathy1234

Kathy1234

Interactive notebooks
Old 06-04-2008, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #59

I started doing interactive notebooks in my English I & III classes. I have an in-class support setting, so I have made up rubrics to do some grading. I was astounded to see my classified students respond so positively to the notebooks. They were the most willing participants & gave the least resistance. Once they were hooked, my non classified students bought into the whole concept. I like rubrics but I try to also consider the individual student. I sometimes give options for a given day with value points.

Charl

In
Old 06-04-2008, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #60

I am glad to hear that your students bought in to the interactive notebook idea. I implemented them this year in my language arts class for the first time. I was the only teacher to use them, but that's okay! At first my students did not like writing notes in them! I always make my students write notes out about what they are learning. Then they did activities on the other side to practice the skill. I loved the notebooks for several reasons. They have notes to study and I can refer to them all year as needed. When they needed to study for skills tests, I could refer to the table of contents in the newsletter for parents. They also still had notes to study for nine weeks tests. My students ended up liking the notebooks since they knew they had a great resource to study. At the end of the year I asked for notebooks to keep for future samples. Most of the students wanted to keep their notebooks. That made me happy!
Charl is offline   Reply With Quote
Kris456

Kris456

Teacher
Old 05-26-2009, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #61

Do you find that these notebooks are more useful for younger students or could they be adapted for High School use?

Swtogirl

Old 05-26-2009, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #62

Quite a lot of teachers use them for HS. The great thing about ISNs are they are highly adaptable to the curriculum and level. I've seen them used in a modified way for K, as well as college. Take the basic idea: a portfolio+notebook+personal textbook, and adapt it to fit your needs.
Swtogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Teachss

Teachss

Working out the bugs
Old 07-17-2009, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #63

I want to implement an interactive notebook in my class this year. So I decided to do a trial run with my summer school students. They seem to enjoy the notebook a lot. One problem I am running into with notes is that some kids take a page and others take three. I have just been matching up the activities on the left side with the notes on the right. This means every student has different pages. I have been giving them a running table of contents and they fill in the pages. Then any blank left side pages are an extra credit opportunity. Anyone else running it that way? Also because some of my kids were not careful there were a few errors at when we started... I found the best way to fix that is to either glue or staple (in the four corners) a new piece of paper. I would love some feedback.

trexteach

Teachss
Old 07-17-2009, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #64

Since the last posting on this thread was back in May, you may want to start your own thread on your question. I just happened to have this thread bookmarked since I'm new to the ISNs, but I'm not sure if the others who've posted here have done the same. That means they may not respond to you.

Now, and again, this is coming from someone who's new to planning ISNs, I'm only planning on having the length of the activities for the students' responses to be ones that are able to fit on one page. Now, for those who write and/or draw larger, then yes, I'm going to have those students staple in an additional page on top of the same left side page. Also, there will be those times when certain activities/responses will need to be longer. I will make sure to encourage flip pages/booklets or such to accommodate those responses.

I just finished planning my first unit in S.S. with the notebooks. I'm making sure to guide them a bit more on this first unit so it's used as a reflection but also a good modeling activity. I'm hoping that when they see what's expected through my own samples and samples from their peers, they'll see the length of the responses I'm expecting.

I don't know how helpful this will be since I'm also a newbie at these notebooks, but I'd try making a new thread. There are some very knowledgeable folks on here who would give you great suggestions.
trexteach is offline   Reply With Quote

ancientciv

Old 07-17-2009, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #65

I keep everyone on the same page - to do this I either:

have students with bigger handwriting make a flippy page (staple, glue, tape, another piece on top and keep writing)

OR

plan for a 3 -1 ratio left-right-left, then the response on the fourth page

it is just too confusing to me if they aren't on the same page
ancientciv is offline   Reply With Quote

wig

Old 07-17-2009, 12:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #66

I tried the left right for a couple of years and then went to sequential. I first tried that the year I had a lot of ADHD kids. The left right method was just too difficult for some of them and all of them had large sloppy handwriting so I ended up with flippy pages which they always managed to lose. It worked so well that I pretty much use sequential for all of my classes. I just don't worry about a table of contents. They use a sticky note to mark the beginning of each unit.

I love the way you can adapt ISNs to fit your students needs and your teaching style.
Shel63

Shel63

Obviously ...
Old 06-29-2010, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #67

I would be embarassed to know that I was a teacher and wrote in such a manner - especially on a listserv with other teachers ... UGGGHHHH...