ARCHIVE

Returning to teaching

>

anon4this

anon4this

Returning to teaching
Old 08-06-2008, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am wanting to return to teaching after being a stay at home mom for the past 9 years. I have 3 kids(ages 9, 7, and 5). My youngest starts Kindergarten this year so I'll have the days to myself which I haven't had in a very long time.

However I am finding it very hard to return to teaching. First off I live in a very competitive area(Houston, Texas) where if you don't know someone its hard to get a job. I only have 1 year experience. I taught for a year as a 1st grade teacher at an inner city school. I got that job right after student teaching because of knowing people in the school. Since then the principal and assistant principal I worked for have retired. I've lost touch with teachers at the school(most don't work there anymore anyway). Its been a long time since I've been a teacher.

So references are going to be an issue since I've been out of the classroom so long and haven't worked in 9 years. My thought is to substitute teach this year. My district only requires 2 references for subs. But my references are from volunteer jobs at my church such as when I taught Sunday School and Vacation Bible School. My two references are the director and assistant director of christian education at my church. I no longer have work or professional references.

I'm afraid I'll be at a disadvantage to those who are fresh out of college and know people in the schools. I have loved being a SAHM, but am afraid that my time as a SAHM has hurt me because I no longer know any principals, ect. Hopefully I can do a good job subbing this year and get to know people that way. But still I am discouraged. I also worry that because I've been out of the classroom so long it will be harder for me to get a full-time teaching job because my 1 year of experience was a long time ago.

mes

Don't give up
Old 08-06-2008, 12:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

After I graduated in 1981 I moved to another state and had to take a few classes in order to get my certification. The same week my certificate came through I found out I was pregnant so I chose to sty home. Twenty four years later when my youngest went to college I decided maybe I still wanted to teach. I began subbing in November and applied like crazy for the next school year. The only experience I had was volunteer things.

I'm in the Chicago area and could not get an interview with any of the four districts I subbed in! Everything is very political and even though I have lived in the area forever I knew no one. To compound things I homeshcooled my kids!.

In the end I did get four interviews, all at the end of August and landed a job. In a couple of weeks I will begin my 2nd year in the classroom.

One of the nicest things I heard at a job fair I attended was from a principal. When I expressed concern that I had been home so long and had no experience except volunteer stuff. She looked right at me and said "Don't worry, God will honor you for what you've been doing."

I must say with each interview I grew more confident and didn't make any excuses for the choices I made.

When the time is right I believe there will get a job for you.
mes is offline   Reply With Quote

anngirl

Old 08-06-2008, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Subbing is a great way to get in the schools. Do a good job, be nice to the secretaries, and leave your resume for the principals.

Another option for getting references is to get involved with some volunteer programs at the schools where directors can get to know you and you can use them for references at the end of the year. One example is the Communities in Schools program. They have several kind of opportunities I volunteered through this program in college and I think it only helped my resume to show that I have experience and am passionate about children. Check out the website: http://www.cishouston.org/
anngirl is offline   Reply With Quote

j4th

Returning to Teaching
Old 08-06-2008, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I returned to teaching after staying home for 10 years. I saw an opening for an ESL teacher and interviewed for that position. When the personnel department saw that I was certified with experience they asked if I would be interested in a general ed class. That led to finding a teaching position in November when there was not alot of certified teachers available for te job. It was hard to get back into teaching, but well worth the effort. I hope this helps!

Good Luck!
j4th is offline   Reply With Quote

jonib66

Been, there; done that!
Old 08-06-2008, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

All I can say is, "Don't give up!" I taught for 3 years before beginning my family. After raising 3 kids, I am back in the classroom! I was out for 16 years! My best advice is to sub and try to get interim positions. I subbed for a year, then did a year long interim. During that interim, I was treated as a regular teacher with evaluations from the administration. Once the principal came in my room to observe, she realized that I was someone she wanted in the building. I was hired the next year as a full time LA teacher in the 5th grade! I am now in my second year in that job! So, just hang in there....sub, sub, sub and I guarantee you if you do a great job, word WILL get out!

Good luck!

Joni

jonib66 is offline   Reply With Quote