fun toothpaste activity for first week - ProTeacher Community

Robyn Bird

fun toothpaste activity for first week
Old 08-07-2008, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Last year my grade level did a really good community building activity. We read a book about a boy (I think) who said some things that were not not nice. Bad words I think... I'm trying to remember the book, if it sounds familiar let me know. Anyway, after reading the book we talked about how saying hurtful things makes you feel and even though you say you're sorry you can take it back. Then each group of students (about 4-5) got a travel size toothpaste tube and was asked to squeeze it out onto a paper plate. I did not give them a limit on how much to squeeze out, they just had to keep it on the plate. Then I asked them (in a serious voice) to put the toothpaste back in the tube and let me know when you're finished. It's so funny to see them try this, and they just all keep trying. After the class realizes they can't put it back we have a discussion about how saying something hurtful is like squeezing the toothpaste out of the tube, once it's out there you can't put/take it back. We keep one squeezed tube and tack it to the wall as a reminder for the rest of the year.

Now, does anyone know what book I might be talking about or another book that would go along with this activity?
Thanks in advance, and I hope you try this... it's fun and meaningful. the kids really "get it".
Robyn

Robyn Bird is offline   Reply With Quote

Mela

good idea
Old 08-07-2008, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is a good idea! It sounds like the one we were just discussing somewhere on this board about the book Chrysanthemum where as you read the students rip a picture of Chrysanthemum everytime they hear a mean phrase said. Then at the end they try to put the picture back together exactly but they can't, of coarse. Then have a discussion about how mean words hurt and you can never take them back no matter how hard you try. I'd post the link, but now I can't find it!!!
Mela is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Elbert's Bad Word?
Old 08-07-2008, 09:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Is that the title? It is the only one I found with "bad word" in the title.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

eagertolearn

Madonna's book
Old 08-07-2008, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think it's Mr. Peabody by Madonna. The coach had the boy empty out a pillowcase full of feathers into the wind then try to get them all back into the pillowcase.
eagertolearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Robyn Bird

Old 08-07-2008, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yes! Egberts's Bad Word, that's it! Now I just have to find it! Thanks! I'm going to read Cyrsanthemum too. we have some cute activities to do with that. We make an acrostic poem of our name and we also graph how many letters are in our name. there's something else with that book too I can't remember. I like the idea of ripping the picture. I need to find a picture of her and do that one too.
thanks for your help, I love PT!
Robyn

Robyn Bird

I meant to say Elbert's Bad Word :)
Old 08-07-2008, 10:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Typo- meant to typr Elberts... not Egbert

Mr. K

Mr. Peabody's Apples
Old 08-07-2008, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This books works great with this activity.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote

mytwocents

Another good book..same lesson
Old 08-10-2008, 08:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Charlie the Caterpillar is another one about treating others nicely...goes along with the same type of theme. I LOVE the toothpaste idea! I am going to try to incorporate that into our first week.
mytwocents is offline   Reply With Quote