Teaching Measurement with Olympic Games - ProTeacher Community

Calgal

Teaching Measurement with Olympic Games
Old 08-08-2008, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am thinking of culminating my unit on Measurement with an Olympic Games tournament. I want to make it fairly big involving parents at different stations where students will be doing activities involving lenght, capacity, weight, and temperature. Has anyone done this before? Do you have any ideas to share? Thanks! I

Calgal is offline   Reply With Quote

DaisyLilli

Yes!
Old 08-08-2008, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've done a "measurement olympics" for the past 2 years and the kids love it! I divide them into teams (countries) and they rotate around to different events. They keep track of their scores on a score sheet and at the end we share the scores (one year we graphed them). Medals can be awarded!

Event One—Cotton Ball Shot Put
Students will stand behind the masking tape line and toss a cotton ball. They will then measure from the start line to the final resting place of the cotton ball. Record the measurement on the record sheet.

Event Two—Straw Javelin Throw
Students will stand behind the masking tape line and throw a straw. They will measure from the start line to the final resting place of the straw. Record the measurement on the record sheet.

Event Three—Masking Tape High Jump
Students will make a loop of masking tape sticky side out and place it around their hands. They will then jump up next to a wall and leave the masking tape behind. Then measure the distance from the floor up to where the masking tape is stuck. Record the measurement on the record sheet.

Event Four—Car Race
Students will place a small toy car at the top of the race track (ramp) and let go. When the car comes to a complete stop, they will measure the distance from the end of the ramp to the final resting place of the car. Record the measurement on the record sheet.
DaisyLilli is offline   Reply With Quote

shazam

Metric Olympics
Old 08-08-2008, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Here are some resources I have...I think they are AIMS. Have fun!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf mini-metrics.pdf (546.9 KB, 356 views)
shazam is offline   Reply With Quote

shazam

Old 08-08-2008, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Here's another one.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Metric Olympics.pdf (19.3 KB, 284 views)
shazam is offline   Reply With Quote

ecp116

Metric Olympics
Old 08-08-2008, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have done the mini-metric olympics as described by the previous poster with fifth grade. It was really fun! I think the one I used was from AIMS as well...

ecp116 is offline   Reply With Quote