Whole Class Rewards... HELP! - ProTeacher Community

beckers

Whole Class Rewards... HELP!
Old 08-12-2008, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am looking for ideas of whole class rewards. My neighboring teacher does the marble jar, and I might use that but I would like to try something different so I don't copy all of her ideas. Any suggestions? Or, if you do use the marble jar reward, let me know!

beckers is offline   Reply With Quote

KellyTeachTX

Old 08-12-2008, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Similar to Marble Jar, but...

PopCorn Jar:
Use unpopped popcorn that you buy in bags...you know, the kernels...

When the class has a good day, we receive a scoop of popcorn in the jar. WHen the jar is filled, we have a popcorn party.

Ice Cream Treat...(cut out pieces for an icecream sundae/treat/cone...)
Each good day (or each time the whole class receives a compliment from someone) we add items to the cone/cup/dish...
We go all the way up to the cherry on top, then we have a ice-cream party...

There are more around, but that's the only two I can think of right now. If I think of more, I'll post 'em....unless someone else does.

Kelly
KellyTeachTX is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 08-12-2008, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have seen teachers that collect compliments and make a paper chain. My partner used to cut a bunch of paper strips. Every time her class got a compliment from another staff member, they would write it on the strip and staple it to their chain. The hung the chain from the top of the board. When the chain reached the floor, they got some kind of reward.
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

jch

Rewards
Old 08-12-2008, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

A colleague used to use those styrofoam packing peanuts and put them in a big plastic bear container that used to house animal crackers.
jch is offline   Reply With Quote

babyruth

Old 08-12-2008, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach 5th and am using Behavior Bingo except I am calling it (my last name) BINGO because I am using it for more than just behavior. Someone posted this cute board on PT!
When caught doing well, getting a compliment, whole class doing homework, etc. you pull a number from a cup and mark on BINGO board. When class gets 10 in a row, they get some type of reward - game day, extra recess, etc.

Attached Files
File Type: doc Behavior Bingo.doc (43.5 KB, 303 views)
babyruth is offline   Reply With Quote

Sketter

Hmmm...
Old 08-12-2008, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

A small puzzle with like 30 pieces.

A board game. One that you can move around the board.

Put up a pizza box and find and blow up a clip art of a pizza. Cut it into however many slices. Either take away slices or put up slices.

Chain of paper clips- get the cool giant ones for teachers.

Make a thermometer with gradients. Laminate and color in sections.

For Fall- take a bare branch. Put leaf cut-outs on the tree, however many. Take the leaves off for great behavior.

Plastic fish in a fish bowl- poster or a real bowl

Last edited by Sketter; 08-13-2008 at 02:05 AM..
Sketter is offline   Reply With Quote

sonjonia

Tally marks
Old 08-12-2008, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I use a tally mark system, which they earn as a class. The class starts out with 3 tally marks on the board each day. When I give them my signal, (You can decide what your signal is) but mine is 3-2-1. If ANYONE is still talking, they automatically lose a tally mark. Whatever they have at the end of the day, goes into the big tally. When they receive 50 tally marks, the class earns a reward. Popcorn party, sundae party, movie, extra recess etc. This system works for me and it is a way for each student to be held accountable for their own actions. ALSO if the class get a compliment from an adult outside of the classroom, while lining up for lunch or going to special, they receive 5 tally marks.
sonjonia is offline   Reply With Quote

camp-n-teach

Chain
Old 08-12-2008, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I also make a paper chain in the classroom. When the whole class does a good job or they get a compliment from someone else I add a link to the chain. I do not take links off for bad behavior. When the chain reaches the floor we have a behavior party. Then using the same chain we will start over and take links off and have another behavior party when we reach the top.

Some examples of our "parties" are special show and tell, bring a game from home, electronic game day, silly sock day, art party, paint party, Play-Doh party, musical instrument party, talent show, fuzzy friend day, popsicle party, book picnic, change seats for a day, movie day, icecream party, McDonald's for lunch, toy day, popcorn or bubblegum and a movie. Most of these ideas were created by my students.
camp-n-teach is offline   Reply With Quote

turtle5

warm fuzzies
Old 08-12-2008, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I do something similar with fuzzy pom-poms (you buy at the craft store). I call them my "warm fuzzies" and read the story that goes along with that.
turtle5 is offline   Reply With Quote

srsaunde

Spell a word
Old 08-12-2008, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

You can spell the name of the reward where the class can earn a letter for each thing they do. If you want an extra recess, spell "RECESS" or a fun afternoon, "FUN FRIDAY." You get the picture (I guess I didn't have to tell you what to spell, you get it! :-) ).

Hope this idea helps!
srsaunde is offline   Reply With Quote

only4Him

Similar to spell a word
Old 08-12-2008, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I write COUGAR on the board (or SURPRISE) and they get a surprise as long as the C is up on Friday. Through the week I erase letters if they are too talkative. It works really well. I just have to head to the board and they quiet down. I use COUGAR because it's our mascot. You can use your mascot or class theme.
only4Him is offline   Reply With Quote

Volleyann

Old 08-12-2008, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Every time my class gets a compliment, I put a letter from the word COMPLIMENT on the board. When they spell the word, they get rewarded. The students really like it. I have also seen teachers use this where they spell out their reward (RECESS, KRISPY KREME, ICE CREAM, PIZZA, etc.).
Volleyann is offline   Reply With Quote

Jilly6301

compliments
Old 08-12-2008, 08:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I do the same thing as the previous poster, I give the students one of the letters each time anyone compliments them, they get two if an administrator compliments them. The kids love it!
Jilly6301 is offline   Reply With Quote

jourdansmom97

Warm Fuzzies????
Old 08-12-2008, 09:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I love the idea of warm fuzzies, but I am not familiar with the book that goes along with it. Can someone post the title or author? Would the book be appropriate for 4th grade?
jourdansmom97 is offline   Reply With Quote

room213

Brownies
Old 08-13-2008, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

In the recent Mailbox magazine there was this idea for a class reward. Buy a box of Brownie mix (maybe two if you have a large class) and with each compliment, put a scoop of the mix in a jar. When you have used the whole box, then bake it for a class treat of brownies. Of course, if you have peanut allergies, you have to check the ingredients on the box!
room213 is offline   Reply With Quote

my3jboys

class rewards
Old 08-13-2008, 07:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I also do spell a word like the PP's. I let the students choose their weekly reward - for some reason though they don't get the concept to choose something with minimal letters.

For tough classes, I have the students set one weekly behavior goal (i.e. be a good sport, be quietly standing in line when I greet them, etc.) and reward with tally marks. I love the self reflection that occurs with this system!
my3jboys is offline   Reply With Quote

Bertie

marble jar
Old 08-13-2008, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Well, she'd likely feel complimented if you used the marble jar....or you could fill the jar with beads instead. Someone gave me a car seat cover made of beads and I use those. When the (plastic not glass) jar is full, we do a class reward like extra recess, bubble gum day, popcorn party, extra art class, dodgeball game, no homework day, teddy day, eat lunch with a friend, bake cookies, etc. The first few weeks of school, I make sure the jar is filled quickly to get them excited about it. Late in the year we hardly use it, as the behaviors I wanted to encourage have become second nature.
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote

Combow

rewards
Old 08-13-2008, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

A teacher in our building uses paper clips to make a chain. The chain must hit the floor to earn the reward. I saw on PT last year how someone used a hundreds chart and colored in the squares. Certain compliments were worth more than others- ie. principal, good sub note, etc.
Combow is offline   Reply With Quote

jet setter

marble jar
Old 08-13-2008, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I had my class vote on what their reward was before we started filling the jar. They voted extra recess time but we had a bad winter and didn't have the chance to get out to the playground before I was done student teaching. One of the other teachers had a PJ party for her class so I used her idea. The kids could wear PJ's and slippers, had to bring regular shoes for outside and gym class. Then at the end of the day we watched a Dr. Seuss movie and had goldfish crackers. They also could bring a stuffed animal that day to hold during movie time. The rest of the day the animals stayed in their cubbies to watch our class. The kids loved it!
jet setter is offline   Reply With Quote

Sketter

Tent Day...
Old 08-13-2008, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I have done tent day. We have camping like snacks, kids can read, bring gameboys or approved music. We would also do some educational activities in the tents.

I have done the tents different ways...

Outside:
Kids have brought their own tents. I also have 3 that I keep in a tub for this day. I got them cheap over the years at Target.

Inside:
We have still set up the tents. What a hoot!
Or, we have made table tents- blankets over desks and tables.

My favorite snack that we did outdoors is s'mores without fire. We laid aluminum foil on a plate. The kids gathered rocks to make a "campfire". We made sure it was in a sunny spot. We laid a graham cracker with a marshmellow and a graham cracker with a piece of chocolate on the foil plate and put it in the sun for a bit. After a bit, it melts enough that you can smoosh them together. It is so messy, but yum.

This is a pretty cheap prize. It does take time to set up the tents. My kids are fifth graders, so it was a great exercise in problem solving and teamwork for them to do it. Or enlist a parent to come and assist first thing.
Sketter is offline   Reply With Quote