Classroom Theme! - ProTeacher Community

missbluejay

Classroom Theme!
Old 06-23-2006, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello All!
I'm a new 5th grade teacher and I need help coming up with a fun/cool theme for my classroom!! Does anyone have any ideas??

missbluejay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

themes
Old 06-23-2006, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've posted this site before. It has lots of themes to choose from.

http://www.amug.org/~jbpratt/educati...me/themes.html
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

sports
Old 06-24-2006, 12:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I always recommend sports for that age group. You can include different ones, and even dance and cheerleading. If you have groups, you can let them pick team names. Put up pennants on the wall with rules. There are lots of banners with sports-themed sayings.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

TEACHERLVNV

5th grade themes
Old 06-24-2006, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Whatever you do don't think anything is too juvenile. My Principal was flip flopping me between 4th and looping into 5th grade for next year (settling on 4th), I was going to use a colorful smiley face theme. Or think about candy.... recreate poster board size packages of candy bars and lifesavers. This past year we had an ice cream parlor theme. (Miss Williams 31 Flavors). Since I am keeping fourth grade I decided to go with a Monkeys/ jungle theme. I usually use Oriental Trading Co. catalogue for inspiration and a good artsy craft for the first week.

or....
I posted this under bulletin board themes but it occured to me it was perfect for you!

I did this one with of all things a 5th grade self-contained group. Well I took coloring book pages and I made poster size versions of Underdog, Instpector gadget, Powder Puff Girls Mario Bros, and spiderman (warning too much detail). Just Google the character you want coloring pages... Oh and then also make the POW and Bang popart like on the batman tv shows. Way Cool! You should find plenty of Super hero stuff because they are so popular. You can also have writing prompts that reflect the themes. Example: If you were a Super hero what would you be called? What would your powers be? or compare and contrast real heros and comic book heros.

PS my girls were kind of upset... I did not choose an equal amount of female heros. Next time I do this theme I plan to make a few more female heros.

Last edited by TEACHERLVNV; 06-24-2006 at 04:45 PM..
TEACHERLVNV is offline   Reply With Quote

missbluejay

Cool!
Old 06-24-2006, 08:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks so much for the awesome ideas...I love the super hero idea...I never thought of that!! I might have to start looking into that one a bit more...I love the Oriental Trading magazine too...in fact I just looked through one tonight. There was a really cute director's thing...the thing they click down when they say "take one, action" and I thought maybe a hollywood theme...but I'm stuck with that....I don't know what I'd do with a hollywood theme!! But, thanks for getting me at least started in a direction!!!

missbluejay is offline   Reply With Quote

Mari

Hollywood Theme
Old 06-26-2006, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You could tie it in with anything that has to do with a "Be A Star" theme.
There are a lot of star related materials at SmileMakers.com.
Good Luck!!!
Mari
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote

TEACHERLVNV

Check out...
Old 06-27-2006, 12:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The bulletin board Themes board right here has lots of great ideas! I think I saw information there on a hollywood /star theme.
TEACHERLVNV is offline   Reply With Quote
aggie

aggie

Survivor Theme
Old 06-27-2006, 06:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I teach 5th grade and will use the popular T.V. reality show- Survivor as a theme for this year. I will have tribe points and challenges.
Haylee

Haylee

Old 06-27-2006, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I like the Survivor idea. Could you give me some more ideas and info. on that?
aggie

aggie

Old 07-02-2006, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am going to design my classroom using the whole jungle/tribal theme. In Texas, we are concentrating heavily on science, reading and math- so, I will create challenges based on my TEKS (Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills) /TAKS objectives from each of those areas.

I will have the students name their tribes- make tribal t-shirts. They will earn points based on the challenges- no points will be taken away.

I am in the pre-planning stage and have not thought all the way through this.

I did a search and found a few ideas using the Survivor theme.

I hope this helps- I am sorry that this is in the planning stage.
karen_lovela

karen_lovela

room theme
Old 07-06-2006, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I love the survivor theme... keep us updated.. it would be great to do that theme for your lit circles first-karen 5th grade austin
marsha

marsha

survivor theme
Old 07-25-2006, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

hi, just read your posting about survivor theme in your classroom, and wo9uld like to hear what you have come up with, i teach 5th grade in california and want to do this..i created a jungle in the corner...thank you. marsha
Laci

Laci

Teacher
Old 07-23-2007, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I am using the Hollywood theme this year. Our school is named Outley so I am calling it Outleywood! I have some pictures of myself with celebrities and some celebrities that I have met. I am allowing the kids to bring theirs in as well. Party City in Texas has Hollywood birthday things right now as well so I got some of them. I am also going to have the students put thier handprint on a star and place thier name and picture on it to use for the border of the outside bulletin board. I am teaching fourth grade so we are still going to do the "Star of the Week" that allows someone to be the Shining Star. If anyone else has any ideas please let me know!
Shalott

Shalott

4th grade
Old 08-08-2008, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I had my theme all worked out and ready. I have a lot of it already up in my room. Then, got an email from my principal saying I couldn't DO that theme, even though I told her about it over a month ago

Why? I chose "Pirates". You know, "Welcome Aboard"...excursions, adventures, exploration, etc. So, now I'm told I can't have any SKULL OR CROSSBONES, and no references to violence. I have probably 10 Jolly Roger flags that all have to come down, all my things with a skull saying "Welcome Aboard, Matey" and stuff like that have to come down, my favorite flag says "The Beatings will Continue Until Morale Improves" is a big NO NO. (I know nobody would think that is serious...) any references to "walking the plank" ...gone. Now, I have some inflatable fish and fishing net hanging from my celing, but I'm going to have to take down the flags, and figure something else out.
RMac

RMac

Classroom Themes
Old 03-31-2009, 10:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

These are great ideas. Just be careful about copywrite laws when you enlarge copywritten images.
phillips

phillips

5th grade class idea
Old 04-23-2009, 04:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I am not sure what subject(s) you teach but I also have a 5th grade all inclusive room and I am going to base my room around the movie Bedtime Story....another good idea would be the game of LIFE.
Mrs.Mesa

Mrs.Mesa

Theme
Old 08-04-2009, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

You can do a army theme or Disney
Amilitarymom

Amilitarymom

Teacher
Old 07-31-2010, 08:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

With the 5th grade a great "director's" theme would be something on the line of...."You are the director of your future." Have each student do a film reel strip of their lives from birth to current, then another activity could be to fill out a strip for what they hope for their future. You can tie in how behavior and attitude can change the "direction" of their lives..... These are just some ideas that popped into my head about this concept. I teach 5th grade and I actually like the idea. Could go several ways with it because most of these kids will be heading to middle school next year so spending the year focusing on how they are responsible for their future is a pretty good idea.
Mohamed Y

Mohamed Y

Oombie Cafe class project
Old 09-28-2010, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Hi, I had a cafe theme for my class (composite class year levels 5 to 9). Students prepared throughout the term to set up the class to be a cafe. They also applied for positions within the cafe (Literacy activities). Maths was an essential part in the project, where students handled money (basic operations such as addition and subtraction). Students used computers to design bills for the cafe, cash register and advertising media.

We invited community and parents for the opening day which was for 45 minutes. It was an excellent authentic learning opportunity for students.

I am looking for a budy class to work on a multicultural exchange project. I teach in a remote community located in the North-West of Western Australia. The community name is Oombulgurri Remote Community. If you are interested email me on
elhossiny45eg@yahoo.com
Annapeck

Annapeck

5th & 6th Grade Teacher
Old 05-20-2011, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I have taught 5th & 6th grade for 4 years. I have found that they enjoyed decorations, bulletin boards, ect, that are geared toward older children and less toward younger elementary.
Mary Englebreit
Jungle/Safari
Castle (knights)
Eygpt
Pastels/Flowers/Butterflies (I had all girls one year)

I hope this helps, or gives you a direction.

iluv3rd

Past themes...
Old 05-20-2011, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Nascar/Racing, Wild West, American Idol, Hollywood, Detectives, Pirates, Medieval Times. Thinking of doing wizards... a take off from Harry Potter but less dark.
iluv3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Miss Miller

Miss Miller

interesting....
Old 05-23-2011, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

you mentioned that you have done a theme on Egypt.....is it possible to get more information? this is my plan for next year but i keep hitting deadends.

thanks for any and all help

Jul313

Old 06-18-2011, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Thanks everyone for these ideas. I'm leaving the grade I have loved for years to enter the fun of 4th grade. Yeah, I'm a little nervous.
Jul313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Bethright

Bethright

Groovy
Old 08-11-2011, 06:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I have used the 60s theme many times and the kids usually like it. Peace signs, happy faces, flower power, etc.....