Lunch Count and Attendance Ideas - ProTeacher Community

lucy3rd grade

Lunch Count and Attendance Ideas
Old 08-14-2008, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a first year teacher and will be teaching 3rd grade. I am looking for ideas on taking lunch count and attendance. I would appreciate any ideas.

lucy3rd grade is offline   Reply With Quote

momx4

Old 08-14-2008, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I went to Lowes and asked for paint chips. I put magnetic tape on the back of them. My students each have a number, so on the chips I have numbers. I put the chips on my file cabinet, which is located beside my door. As a child enters the room they take their magnet to the whiteboard where I have the lunch choices listed. They put their magnet in the box of their lunch choice. I can easily see who is absent by checking to see whose magnet is left on the file cabinet.
I hope this makes sense.
momx4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacher H

Try Rick Morris
Old 08-14-2008, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Rick Morris has so many cool classroom management ideas! I always share them with my new teachers and implement many of his techniques.
Teacher H is offline   Reply With Quote

connorsmom020

Old 08-14-2008, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have a pocket chart (was supposed to be a calendar one) where each pocket has a student number on it. If they want a hot lunch, they put a spoon in their pocket. Sack lunch=a small paper sack

That way I can glance to see who's there and who's not--we have to go to PE 5 minuntes after the bell rings so not a lot of time for attendance.
connorsmom020 is offline   Reply With Quote

L T

Student jobs
Old 08-14-2008, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Both of these are student jobs in my room. We use a computer based system now ( it worked with a pen/paper system too) and after the final bell, the student who has the job will tell me who is absent. Then the student who is charge of lunch count will read the menu for the day (as posted on the monthly menu from the lunch room) and ask who is having hot lunch and tell them to stand up. The student then counts who is standing. Enter it into the computer, and I am done!

L T is offline   Reply With Quote

NCteacher

Old 08-14-2008, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I write the kids names on colorful craft sticks. I lamninate a few sheets of construction paper and wrap them around empty soup cans. I write the lunch choice on the can with a vis a vis every day (eventually the kids do that). They come in and put their stick in the can that has the choice they want. We have 5 choices every day- grilled cheese, chef salad, peanutbutter and two hot entrees. After they put their stick in the can with their choice, it takes about 2 seconds to take attendance- because the absent kids' sticks are left on the table.

Last edited by NCteacher; 08-15-2008 at 06:08 AM..
NCteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

knamom

Teacher H
Old 08-14-2008, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for sharing Rick Morris. I haven't hear of him and liked some of the stuff he had on his web site.
knamom is offline   Reply With Quote

alb26

Old 08-14-2008, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

maybe i'm being optamistic...but eventually (once I train the kids) i'm going to have the kids take over running this as a part of morning meeting. I'm assigning each child a number - so for attendance i'm going to have them count off...and then make who isn't there. For lunch count i'm just going to go down the list (read child's name, child says what they are having)... maybe i'll see an idea on this board that i'll like better though
alb26 is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrtx2008

I only have 10 kids
Old 08-14-2008, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

so it is probably a little easier, but I just call their name while they are doing their morning packet, and they answer "hot" for buying their lunch, or "cold" if they brought it from home. It only takes about 30 seconds, and both chores are done.....Good Luck!

Last edited by tchrtx2008; 08-14-2008 at 08:08 PM..
tchrtx2008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gnat Nutt

Attendence
Old 08-14-2008, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My students say their numbers (by ABC order) and it takes 20 seconds or so to see who is and isn't here for the day. After they get the numbers down, they like to have competetions to see how fast they can do their own atttendence. Lunch is done through a computer in the lunchroom, and we do not have to do a count, unless the computer is down.
Gnat Nutt is offline   Reply With Quote

knamom

lunch count
Old 08-15-2008, 05:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I use magnets that they move when they come in the door. I know who is absent when I look at the board because their magnet isn't moved. I also have my kids do 100% of the lunch count. I have a lunch manager that writes the count down and takes it to the cafeteria after the morning announcements.
knamom is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsTeacher

Old 08-15-2008, 05:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I invented my own management system for this that makes it all very easy.
I got a thin piece of wood and divided it into 3 sections. I took little wood letters and attached them to spell out the words "ABSENT", "BUY", and "PACK" on each of the sections. Then I got clothespins and wrote each student's name on a pin. I then clip them to the "ABSENT" section of the board. When students come in they are to move their pins to the correct spot first thing when they walk in. Of course, I have to remind them for a little while but they catch on or someone else reminds the ones that didn't move them. Any pins left on "ABSENT" are obviously absent (make sure they didn't forget to move pin) and then all you have to do is count the other sections. Works great for me!
MrsTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. L

Lunch Count
Old 08-15-2008, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I use magnets and a magnetic white board. I make labels for all of the different lunch choices and packers and I attach them to the white board. Then the students take the magnet that has their number and place it next to their lunch choice. I got really nice magnet strips from Calloway House.
Mrs. L is offline   Reply With Quote

sra_E

Magnets
Old 08-15-2008, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I love this method! I don't have a magnet board, but I have a 2 draw filing cabinet near the door. If their names are on the side, they are absent or they put them under their lunch choice or packer. I use cute name tags, stick them to poster board, write their names on them, cut them out and then laminate. I put a peal and stick magnet on the back and I'm all set!! AND it's easy to have them match my desk nameplates and classroom theme.

Last edited by sra_E; 08-15-2008 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: wrong title
sra_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.H.

List of names
Old 08-15-2008, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I pass out clothespins that say "Hot' and "Pack" on each side at the end of the day (actually it's a student job). When they come in in the morning, they get their clothespin off their desk and clip it to a laminated class list with the side of the clothespin up that they are doing for lunch. I look at the list and can see who has not turned their clip in, who has hot, and who has cold lunches.
Mrs.H. is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsJ

Old 08-15-2008, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I use clothespins, too, that have their names on them (both sides!) We have to check off what they are buying, and there are about 4 choices each day. On the lunch envelope is a class composite that needs to be filled in. I use an old pocket chart and label each column. Last year I had a student fill in the composite for me, and I think I'll do that again this year.
MrsJ is offline   Reply With Quote