What is Universal Access Time? - ProTeacher Community

Snsett

Snsett

What is Universal Access Time?
Old 08-16-2008, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Universal Access time is being discussed at my school but there is no real agreement as to what it really is. How would you define Universal Access? How is this being done at your site? Is this solely a Houghton Mifflin term? I feel silly asking about it, but there is a lot of confusion over this at my school.

Thank you for your input!

shy1

my district's view
Old 08-18-2008, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In my school district it is an official designated time of the day...15 minutes in math and 30 mins in language arts. it's defined as you working with the really bolow grade level kids(far below basic and below basic)in a small group/s....the remainder of the class is given extension to preoccupy themselves while you work with the lowest kids.
shy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Ua
Old 08-18-2008, 08:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Here is a page of a website that may help you understand UA better.

http://www.smbsd.org/page.cfm?p=904
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

gg

Old 08-18-2008, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We've been doing UA in my district for about 6 years. It means students of all levels, including ELL, are given equal access to the curriculum. Therefore we front load the lessons (pre teach) to the extra support and ELL kids before the regular whole group lesson. Then we review the lesson with the same kids after the whole group. This takes about 15 minutes for each meeting which equals about one hour a day.
During UA time all other students have a list of "May Do" and "Must Do" things they are working on.

Realistically, this helps the kids who might miss the point of the lesson when it is done whole group. It also helps these kids to be more engaged because they might be able to answer a question that ordinarily they wouldn't have a clue about (like vocabulary).

It has slowly evolved in our district and it changes from year to year depending on how many kids need extra support (ES) and how many ELL students. Last year half of my class was ELL. Some of them were ES so they met with me more often. Hope this helps!
gg is offline   Reply With Quote

shy1

Old 08-18-2008, 09:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

yeah, since my whole entire class is ELL practically, that is the reason why my district focuses on the lowest kids during our intervention time....ELL kids are given support through SDAIE and ELD, etc....

shy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeepers

Thanks for Responses
Old 08-26-2008, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you shy1, gg, & Tounces for your responses to my questions about universal access. Had trouble with my email, which is why my thank-you took so long. Appreciate your time!
Jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
scbb87

scbb87

2nd grade teacher
Old 08-12-2009, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Does anyone have ideas/rubrics to check in work that is completed during Universal Access time?

bellababyboo

UA description
Old 01-27-2010, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I've been out of the classroom for a few years and it seems like so much has changed!! This is an excellent definition! Very helpful, thanks!!
bellababyboo is offline   Reply With Quote