jungle theme ideas

>

Closed Thread

KTeach99

KTeach99

jungle theme ideas
Old 06-24-2006, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'll be starting my 3rd year of teaching this September (will be my 2nd year in K) and was wondering if anyone had any ideas about a jungle theme. My class is "(my last name) Lions:We're Roaring Good Readers" and I didn't have/use many things in the classroom which relate to the jungle.

Any ideas on jungle decorations, bulletin board ideas, etc?

Thanks!!

wowpatse

jungle theme
Old 06-29-2006, 03:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Oriental Trading.com is a place I buy inexpensive party goodies/rewards for my "treasure chest"/room decor for my classroom. Twisting bulletin board paper can give you a vine-looking strip to hang across on a bulletin board or in your classroom with fishing line. Ask your students to bring any stuffed jungle animals to use and store in the reading center; they can become reading buddies. I use a frog theme for the first week to welcome students with; there are lots of frog-theme items at the site I gave you. I teach about the frog life cycle. I make a froggie goodie bag with a frog water squirter, frog pencil, gummy frogs for the first visit to my classroom. My bulletin board for the first week of school: Welcome to our Pad; displaying pictures of of my children and teacher supply stores usually carry jungle theme bulletin board sets.
I hope this helps.
jennifoo

jennifoo

Old 07-03-2006, 04:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Last year was my first year in kindergarten and I went with a jungle theme. I had vines and monkeys hanging from the ceiling, I turned my reading corner into a small jungle by placing indoor artificial trees surrounding the corner and vines across the top of the corner. Bulletin board sayings: We're wild about kindergarten/learning, Hanging out in kindergarten (use a tree with monkeys hanging). My newsletter was called Mrs. Donatelli's Kindergarten Safari. I named my tables the lions, elephants, giraffes, and monkeys. Do a search for themes on this site: I've seen a few other jungle themed ideas. Any ideas for a teddy bear themed room?

kteach618

Old 07-07-2006, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am also doing jungle theme in my room. Email me if you would like pictures. I don't have the room done yet, but I can send what I have. Here are some ideas for bulletin boards:

Behavior: Don't Monkey Around
Behavior: An Elephant Never Forgets...the rules
Good Work Wall: No "Lion" This is Great Work!
Good Work Wall: Roaring To Success
Job Chart: Ms. Lennex's (my name as example) Safari Guides
Who We Are Board: Join Us! We're on a (kindergarten) Safari!
Attendance Chart: To check in, they put their card in their name slot and the card says "I'm On A Safari Today!"
The "How we go home" chart: How We Leave the Jungle

I am sure I have more, I just can't think of them right now. Anyway, I put safari fabric as the backgrounds on my bulletin boards, and found a giraffe height chart. There's TONS of stuff at the teacher store. I am going to put butcher paper as vines if I can find a ladder.

My room was a second grade room last year and the other teacher has yet to get her stuff out... so needless to say I haven't gotten very far yet.

Hope this helps a bit.
Cherie
cherielennex@hotmail.com

AndreaT

Question
Old 07-11-2006, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is my first year teaching! I am using a jungle them, what type of monkeys did you use, and could you post pictures of your classroom?

Thanks

jennifoo

Monkey
Old 07-12-2006, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I bought my monkey's from the dollar store last summer. They have long arms and legs that velcro together. I'm not sure if they still have them. I bought the vines from Joanns Fabrics.

jennifoo

dollar store clarification
Old 07-12-2006, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The dollar store I went to was specifically called "The Dollar Tree". I know there are many of those types of stores....
Nettj

Nettj

Great ideas
Old 01-08-2007, 09:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

These are great bulletin board ideas. I know your classroom will look great. I teach a second grade intervention class and my students struggle with writing. Next year I'm going to do a jungle theme and I was think about "Wild about Writing." I am going to draw different animal heads that have the students name on them, then I can attach the studnets writing to that. The students really get motivated to write when they know their writing is going to get posted.

Emme

Emme

zoo
Old 01-08-2007, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Our zoo has 3D animal masks of lion, gorilla, zebra, alligator, giraffe for about $4. I just hung them on a thumbtack on a bulletin board, and they looked great. Our dollar store has 1/2 masks. I also found a stuffed lion and tiger at WalMart for $9, and they have inexpensive animal fur fabric. The teachers store has animal fur paper by Roylco.

Kim W

Kim W

K Teacher
Old 07-23-2008, 11:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I started my jungle theme last year. On the door it says "Mrs. Williams' Wild Things" and i put each child's face on a jungle animal. To showcase writing samples I have a loepard print board with zebra border and the tile is :"Wild About Writing." On the center chart I made palm trees and staples on a stuffed monkey and it says" "Swinging into Centers"

Good Luck!

hlkk

Jungle/Safari Room
Old 07-24-2008, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

This is my first year decorating with a jungle theme, and I am loving it! I haven't finished yet, but listed below are some of the things I've done thus far.
1. I used zebra fabric for my valance.
2. I used black fabric for my bb background, zebra and hot pink borders (placed together) for the border. Looks great!
3. Cut out large letters that said, "Wild About Kindergarten". These letters are white, and I drew black zebra lines on them.
4. I have also purchased a leopard print rug to place at the door, and I found two precious spotted rugs that are shaped like authentic hides, and I plan on placing them in my reading center.
5. I'm covering the front and sides of my desk with giraffe paper.
6. My outside bb is Swinging into Kindergarten, which consists of monkeys, bananas, and vines.

I'm still not finished, and I love how it is shaping up. I will make pics and post when I'm finished.
hillary

hillary

Jungle Theme
Old 07-28-2008, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I am also doing the Safari/Jungle theme in my room. I teach 5th grade Math and Science. We have to have 20% hands on activites so this year I am having W.I.L.D. Fridays--While I learn and discover. I am hoping to hang some raffia or hula skirt material from my windows. Loved the idea for the job chart!!

shmackie

Animal Rugs
Old 08-11-2008, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Where did you get the rugs that look like animal hides and how much did they cost? Everything sounds super cute! Thanks!

newtoteach2

Please Send Photos
Old 08-13-2008, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I am new to second grade and am interested in seeing photos. I am getting a late start, so any with a jungle or safari theme would be greatly appreciated!
wendyhawk@comcast.net

kpl

Here's a link
Old 06-09-2009, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

to a first grade classroom with a Jungle theme. There are lots of great ideas! Check out the Teacher Resources page for more pictures and some Jungle Themed files. http://mrshuntsfirstgradeclassroom.shutterfly.com/

teacher4Jesus

5th grade jungle theme
Old 06-11-2009, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

This was my first year of teaching and I taught 5th grade. I did a survivor theme with a lot of jungle decorations around the room. My kids LOVED it!! I think your kids will enjoy a jungle theme. My only advice would be to have some of the decorations a little more mature looking rather than cute. Click to see pictures of my classroom. http://teacherwithatestimony.com/class-tour.htm

kepresto

5th grad
Old 07-18-2009, 07:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I will be a first year 5th grade teacher and am also doing a jungle theme..did you find it grade level appropriate? I would love any suggestions you might have or pictures of your class...Thanks!

Dlee

Need Jungle Theme Ideas
Old 07-27-2009, 07:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I taught 4th grade for four years. This is my 2nd year for teaching pre-k. I want to use a jungle theme. Please email me your pictures.