Help

ARCHIVE

recognizing numbers 1-100 ideas

>

Tee

recognizing numbers 1-100 ideas
Old 08-18-2008, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a new principal this year. We (1st grade team) are having a hard time coming up with different activities for the objectives we teach. I really need help coming up with activities to teach 1-100. If you have any ideas for recognzing, skip counting (2's, 5's, 10's) please share them with us.

Thanks

Tee is offline   Reply With Quote

melaniet

ideas
Old 08-18-2008, 02:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I always break teaching numbers to 100 up. So Ill teach numbers 1-30, then 40-60, and so on. I do activities like putting number cards in order (on their own or put them with a partner) when they are finished I usually have a number chart for that set of numbers that has numbers missing on it and they have to fill in the missing numbers. I have a pocket chart that has number cards and I will pull some numbers out of it and give them to the kids and as we count we will find the missing numbers and the student with that number will place that number in the chart. A fun game my kids like is I took a trash can (if you know what the sound muncher is http://www.marcias-lesson-links.com/...0Monsters.html) and I give kids different numbers and I have the muncher say a number and the student with that number has to feed him.
melaniet is offline   Reply With Quote

kno1

number games
Old 08-18-2008, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My kids have always liked Roll to 100. Students work in pairs with one die, two different color crayons, and a too chart. Partner 1 rolls the die and colors the number they roll as they count. Partner 2 rolls and repeats. First person to 100 wins. The also like to play # line up. I split the class in two (usually boys and girls) and pass out #'s that they wear around their necks. When I say go, they must flip over their numbers and put themselves in order from least to greatest. I usually begin with 1-10 and 11-20. Then the boys and girls switch and we play again. One last game we love is the number search. I write #'s 1-100 (you could do 1-20, 1-50, whatever you choose...) on post-it notes. I put the post-it's all over the room. The students walk around with a 100 chart on a clip board. When they find a number, they say it and color that # in on their chart. It's best if they work in partners. Hope these help!!! The kids really seem to like them every year!
kno1 is offline   Reply With Quote

zippinl

2 shoes
Old 08-19-2008, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I sing this silly song with the kids. They are all at the perimeter of the carpet and standing. I get in the middle and sing "I've got two-oo-oo-oo
shoes, yeah, two-oo-oo-oo shoes yeah. Then I model skip counting by going around and counting their shoes. When I get to 18 I grab hands with the person and we shake while saying the number and then I go to the next and end at 20. That persons gets in the middle we sing again and the song continues with counting.

You can also do it with 10 fingers or 10 toes..... hold 5 sticks,.... make stuff up.....the kids love it!
zippinl is offline   Reply With Quote