Help

ARCHIVE

Rain gutters

>

AmyH

Rain gutters
Old 06-28-2006, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am thinking of "installing" rain gutters in my classroom for book shelves. Has anyone done this and have installation tips/advice???

AmyH is offline   Reply With Quote

Nessa

gutter shelves
Old 06-28-2006, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have rain gutter 'shelves' in my room. I didn't install them, it was a school wide project a few years ago and the custodians installed them into the cement block walls. I think they are great, they display books so that my students can see the covers as they browse. I put colored dots on the gutters and my books so that the books could be returned to the correct location.

I had one under my front board. I used this to hold some of my most frequently used teacher manuals and library books that I took out on our current units. Students knew that the books from the front gutter must be returned there and were not to be kept in desks. This helped me keep track of my books.

I also had one under my back board which I used to display student work/projects.

A draw back: it limits future room arrangements. I cannot remove/ move my gutters and so cannot put any furniture against the wall in that part of my room. Before you install make sure you are sure of the placement in the room.
Tip: Make sure they are far enough apart so that your tall books fit. I have one shelf just for paper backs because there isn't enough room for taller books.
Place shelves low enough to be reachable by students. My top shelf is useless because my students can't reach it.

Also- one teacher in my school used spray paint for plastic (made by Krylon?) and painted her gutters in primary colors. Much more interesting than plain old white.
Nessa is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeanne b

Gutter Book Shelf
Old 06-28-2006, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I too have ONE at the front of my room below my white board. I use if for our current unit of study (I teach first). It's great because if I have a few early finishers it's easy to say "go to the carpet and choose a book". I use book baskets for each individual students choice of books but the gutter shelf is handy.

However, like the previous post, it does limit being able to push anything on that wall.
Jeanne b is offline   Reply With Quote

bamagirl

I have them...
Old 07-02-2006, 09:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have the concrete block walls in my classroom. My dad installed my gutter shelves for me, and I'm pretty sure he used concrete screws. You might ask someone at Lowe's or Home Depot about them.

Also, I have moved mine...when I changed schools. When you take them down or move them, it will leave a little hole in the wall. However, you could always get some painter's putty, fill the holes, and paint over it with your wall color if it is very noticeable.
bamagirl is offline   Reply With Quote