Expanded Form - ProTeacher Community

Julhun18

Expanded Form
Old 08-27-2008, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My students are having a tough time understanding how to write numbers in expanded form. Any tricks or ideas that anyone can suggest?

Julhun18 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenEyes

Old 08-27-2008, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My kids are having a hard time too!
GreenEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

coxrocks99

try this
Old 08-27-2008, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a teaching partner who teaches struggeling students to write it vertically
+ 1

It seems to help, then once they understand the concept she shows them how to switch it to horizontally. See if that helps!
coxrocks99 is offline   Reply With Quote

mscoach

Old 08-27-2008, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

we are doing expanded form also. i told my kids to picture a slinky! because a slinky expands- its gets longer. so when i give my students an number on the board, tell them to expand it- if they are stuck, i tell them to think of the slinky, then it's like a light comes on for them, and they can remember to "make the number long"
mscoach is offline   Reply With Quote

DPerry

Old 08-27-2008, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I tell my kiddos that are struggling to write the digit and fill in the places behind it with zero. For example, 5,672 in expanded form... write the digit 5 and change the digits behind it to zeros. (5,000+), then write the next digit (6) and changed the digits behind it to zeros... you get the picture. Also, we have to teach value, so they know it is just the value of each of the digits with + signs in between. I teach third and they all caught on pretty fast.

DPerry is offline   Reply With Quote

sunnylife

Old 08-27-2008, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Do they have a good grasp of finding the value of each digit? We worked for a long time on just finding the value of each digit. I gave the kids number cards (1-9) and a stack of cards with zeros on them. I asked them to make a certain number with the cards. Then I would call out a digit and they would have to write the value of that digit. They would check by turning over all of the cards in the number except the digit I called and then covering the turned over numbers to the right of that digit with zeros to check their answer. (It seems a little complicated, but it really helped my kinesthetic learners.)

When we moved on to expanded form, I had them write the number from right to left beginning with the ones place. They would cover the rest of the number with their finger. Then they would put a plus sign before the ones digit they had written, move their finger, and write the tens value, then put the plus sign to the right, move their finger and write the hundreds value. It helped them to keep track of what place value they were in so they knew how many zeroes to add.

Here are a couple of web activities for practicing expanded form:
http://www.emaonline.org.uk/ema/clie...digit_wize.cfm
http://www.wmnet.org.uk/wmnet/custom...lueChartv4.swf
http://www.wmnet.org.uk/resources/go...Value%20v3.swf

And this site has a fun general place value activity:
http://www.starrmatica.com/kids

Hope this helps....let us know how it goes...
sunnylife is offline   Reply With Quote

teachfla

expanded form
Old 08-27-2008, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Mine got it when I put HTO on top of each period of numbers (hundreds, tens, ones). We're doing to the millions and they've mostly got it.
teachfla is offline   Reply With Quote

hmccourtie

I do the same as....
Old 08-27-2008, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

DPERRY...and my kids are getting it for the most part. We have one kid in our class who plays the accordian, so I tell them to imagine we are pulling the accordian out. You just have to practice, practice, practice...we do it a few times a day, and they seem to have it down okay for now.
hmccourtie is offline   Reply With Quote

LeDeeK

I'm Glad I'm not the only one!
Old 08-27-2008, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My kids are struggling with the same objective. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. I have tried all the strategies you have. I liked the websites and hope I can play whole group. Another way is I refer to them as "houses" I tell my kids only one number can live in the house. I keep the "houses" posted in the room.
LeDeeK is offline   Reply With Quote

1styearscare

Word Form
Old 08-27-2008, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My kids are understanding expanded form but WILL not write word form! They know how to...I just think they are being lazy...any ideas on how to get them to do it? Thanks!
1styearscare is offline   Reply With Quote

Random

Old 08-28-2008, 03:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Do you have base 10 blocks? It might help to have students build the number first, and then physically separate each type of block. They'll have a visual for 1000s, 100s, 10s and 1s.

Of course, if you're like me, you have nowhere near a class set of base 10 blocks, so you'll have to just model it and then do it with small groups. I hate that junior and intermediate classrooms have so many fewer math manipulatives!

There's probably a website out there somewhere that allows children to manipulative virtual base 10 blocks.
Random is offline   Reply With Quote

Azure

If you go to
Old 08-28-2008, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

bby publications they have a set called What's my Place? What's my Value? You only have to do it for 5 minutes everyday and your students will amaze you with what they know. My first graders will know and understand place value into the thousands place. Not only that- I have kids who will learn how to multiply and divide. Our math curriculum director sat with her mouth open in my room. She came back day after day. Finally she said, I taught 6th grade for 25 years and they never could figure out this concept and your kids understand it. Why? I don't get it. I was asked to present the program to the staff and it was implemented in all the elementary and some of the middle school buildings.

It is so easy! The reason? It's visual. It uses base ten. I can't push this program enough. It will solve so many of your problems. You can cover many aspects of math. You will need to purchase the book and the kit. It will make your life easier if you do. For 4th grade they have an intermediate level of kit.

One more thing...no I don't work for the company, but I'm wondering if they need anyone in my area

Last edited by Azure; 08-28-2008 at 05:34 AM.. Reason: typo
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Azure
Old 08-28-2008, 05:33 AM
This message has been deleted by Azure. Reason: double post

Julhun18

Thank You!
Old 08-28-2008, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Wow! Thank you for all the tips and advice. Thanks to all of your help my students had a better day today!
Julhun18 is offline   Reply With Quote

lorrclar

Expanded form
Old 08-30-2008, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I use this chart
Attached Files
File Type: doc Expanded form.doc (42.5 KB, 639 views)
lorrclar is offline   Reply With Quote