Need a 1st Grade Classroom Theme! - ProTeacher Community

kweaver

In Need of a 1st Grade Classroom Theme!
Old 06-29-2006, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will be teaching first grade for the first time in the fall. I am in dire need of a classroom theme. Here are a few ideas I've come up with so far:
Curious George ("Curious Little Learners"), Stars (Shining Stars, All-Stars, Superstars, Shooting Stars), Frogs ("Hopping to New Heights"), Bumblebees ("Busy Bees, Busy Learning"). I am having a hard time narrowing down my ideas. Which of the above themes do you all like the most...give me your honest opinion, please. Any additional suggestions???

Last edited by kweaver; 06-30-2006 at 04:01 AM..
kweaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Rita1stGrade

Old 06-29-2006, 10:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do a sea theme! Swim on in . . . to Mrs. Wright's Class!

http://www.mrswright.com
Rita1stGrade is offline   Reply With Quote

akieffner

theme
Old 06-30-2006, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Does everyone who teaches first grade actually have a theme for their classroom? I don't really have any specific theme for my room and never really thought about having one. I just have all sorts of different colorful things up all year. Should I have a theme?
akieffner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tchrgrl301

Garden theme
Old 06-30-2006, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am using a garden theme. I am including frogs, caterpillars("Helping Hands"), ants, bees(Busy Bees), ladybugs("look who's been spotted in first grade") and other bugs(Just buggy about books). I am also using flowers and nature in my classroom hope this helps!!.
Tchrgrl301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Lynnee

Lynnee

racing
Old 07-01-2006, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Last year I used "First Grade Start Your Engines" I put their picture and name on racecars.

Sherri

themes
Old 07-04-2006, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am using crayons -- crayons name tags, crayon name plates, etc. The BB could be "a bunch... or a box... with crayons. This way, you can read all those first day/beginning of school books.
Sherri is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTerri

Classroom theme
Old 07-08-2006, 11:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

No not everyone has a theme for their classroom. I've taught quite awhile. The last school that I taught in, our first grade team used a different theme each year. My current school is new and this team doesn't seem interested in them. They still decorate with all sorts of colorful things like you do. It just depends on your needs, wants, and what is required by your school or district.
TexTerri is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

theme
Old 07-08-2006, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It really depends upon what you don't mind looking at all year. Also, keep in mind that whatever your theme is, that's what kind of gifts many of the kids will give you! My colleague has frogs for her theme, and she gets frog slippers, frog pictures, frog windchimes, etc... at Christmas and end of the year. She doesn't mind because she loves frogs, but you see what I'm saying.

I'm doing a jungle theme, but that's because it goes along with the curriculum for us (we study Africa). I also know it's easy to find things for it.

To answer your question, out of the ones you picked, I'd probably go with frogs because it's so easy to find items for it - and they're really cute! Plus, you can do a whole tadpole-to-frog aquarium in your room.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Smuckers

Smuckers

theme
Old 07-10-2006, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

i do a fish theme "diving into first grade" and i keep it on my door all year long...and i have fish curtains.. my best advice, go get an oriental trading catalog and have fun!!!!! ;-)
Susan Ratlif

Susan Ratlif

theme for Classroom
Old 05-06-2007, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

This year I used a country and western theme. I hung quilts on the wall and had a large bulletin board with cowboys and cactus. We do the calendar and math center at the c & W bulletin board. Next year I think I'll do Antarctica with penguins since it's part of our curriculum. Others on my team use a sea theme, a frog theme (life cycle of the frog, and the rainforest.
Betty Fabian

Betty Fabian

Puzzle
Old 07-24-2009, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have used puzzle pieces (We Fit Together Live Pieces of a Puzzle). I have used bugs (We Are Buggy about First Grade). Other teachers have done western, sports, apple trees, jungle, frogs.

bonnybelle

Old 07-24-2009, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

You are on the right track!
I'll rank my top three form your list and an one for good luck!

Curious George! Love the analogy as related to first graders
Busy Bees! On the job and every has a task
Stars! any of your descriptors would work for me, partial to All-Stars

We are doing community helpers as a grade level team, an I have selected Kids at Work for my classroom overarching theme as in building our community together.
bonnybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
allfodalo

allfodalo

themes
Old 08-09-2009, 11:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

They all sound like great ideas. I was going to do something with monkeys and thought about Curious George but decided against it as monkeys may be offensive to some and C.G. is a little too young...my 3 year old loves him and my 5 year old says that's for babies. This is my first year and I think I'm going with stars since they are everywhere. I know another teacher that does frogs and there is so much out there and frogs are tied into the curriculum as well. There is all the Froggy books and tons of nic-naks, borders etc. I'd vote for the frogs. Good luck