Must Do/May Do - ProTeacher Community

babyruth

Must Do/May Do
Old 09-01-2008, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I got this idea on PT. I definitely like the idea and have a variety of options. For the may do's I have independent work and station options where they may work with another student. How do you explain the May Do? I am worried about those students who will not do the May Do because it is exactly that, they do not HAVE to do it. How do you grade the May Do? How do you explain it to parents? TIA

babyruth is offline   Reply With Quote

Shoegirl

May Do
Old 09-01-2008, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

May Do's are optional choices. Meaning if they get done with their must do's then they can choose a may do. May do's aren't graded. They are actually activities that support what you are teaching like card games, computers, projects, etc.. or it could be to read a book and write a summary. You could use for extra credit if you'd like. I dont use Must Do and May Do's but do something very similiar-Mustard, Ketchup and Pickles. Mustard=Must Do work, Ketchup=Work that needs to be finished, Pickles=These are similiar to the May Do's. I could care less if the kids get to Pickles. Mustard work and Ketchup work is usually work that is graded or checked.

So, my point is, May do work is not graded. It is just extra practice. The early finishers are the ones who usually get to these activities. Oh and as far as kids not choosing...in my class they have to chose something if their done with the Mustard's. When I walk around I should see every student doing something that falls into one of the categories.

I hope that helps.
Shoegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

babyruth

Old 09-01-2008, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I like the names you use. I think that alone may help. I want to do it like you explained. All my Pickles activities relate to the area we are studying. I want it to be extra practice and not have to grade all of it! PERFECT
babyruth is offline   Reply With Quote

my3jboys

Iwt
Old 09-01-2008, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

During independent workshop time, may do's should be skill based activities that they all eventually have the opportunity to access. The only time I ever have a worksheet that is a may do is a seasonal word sheet or Scholastic Reader that is not tied into my theme. I structure may do's so that they focus on getting their must do's done and look forward to the freedom of may do's.

Include some pocket chart activities, memory games, inferencing skills, etc. Have activities arranged so they have the opportunity to get up, move around, sit on the floor, etc. They will be motivated to do the may do's.
my3jboys is offline   Reply With Quote

StephR

Old 09-01-2008, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Just as the PPs said, the May Dos are motivational, exciting, skill based activities. They can be more "crafty" or "gamey" than the Must Dos.

My May Dos (during IWT) are usually things the kids like to do: research their Theme project on the computer, Comprehension Ball for the story, Theme related art project, add to the Concept/Question board, etc....

They are not graded, but are always tied into the theme/unit and/or the story we are reading. And yes, there are kids that never touch some of the options. But that is because they are OPTIONAL. If you want them to do something, you can start it as a May Do and move it to a Must Do at some point. Must Dos are the "required" portion. They are what I grade.

StephR is offline   Reply With Quote