How to teach a "mute" to read? - ProTeacher Community

Reese07

Reese07

How to teach a "mute" to read?
Old 09-01-2008, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my 5th year as a Resource teacher and I've gotten in a student that has a degenerative brainstem disorder of some sort. It presents like Cerebral Palsy, but I've been told it is not CP.

He is in 1st grade and cannot voice words due to lack of muscle control, although he does try very hard. So he really is not mute, but he can't vocalize either.

My question is ... what are some strategies I should use when teaching him to read? I have always taught reading where the kids can orally sound out the words, and this won't work with him. Any suggestions?

starfish92

you can
Old 09-01-2008, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

use many of the strategies that you normally use--just have him point to words so that you know what he knows. Does he have a pecs system or an assitive device of any kind--he sounds like he could use one--ask you speech dept. I have worked with many selective mute children and a few who could not speak on their own--once you get familiar with the child you will be surprised the ways that you will both communicate!
starfish92 is online now   Reply With Quote

jeejer

Old 09-01-2008, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You could use the Systematic Phonics Approach. The student makes a word using a phonetic approach with a set of 5 to 8 letters that you supply. I use this a lot with my kids and it is very effective for teaching phonics, and it doesn't take vocalization just moving the letter cards or the word cards.
jeejer is offline   Reply With Quote

taughtyou

Reading Help
Old 09-14-2008, 10:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have come to love an internet based reading program called Click N Read. Your student learns phonics by listening to verbal prompts and clicks a button on the keyboard for responses. Check it out on the web. Good luck!
taughtyou is offline   Reply With Quote
TeresaRenee

TeresaRenee

Old 02-07-2012, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am curious how you proceeded with this child. we recently adopted a child with CP, smart boy but similarly, unable to verbalize due to CP. Did you find good recources to use for the child in your class? He is kindergarten age.