Help

ARCHIVE

Does anyone use classroom money?

>

Love_2_Teach

Does anyone use classroom money?
Old 06-30-2006, 09:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My students use the money for different things I was looking for some other ideas to use their money for. They save it up and at the end of the year we have an auction. This year the top prize was a fish tank and all the supplies.

Love_2_Teach is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

I use soft quiet poker chips
Old 06-30-2006, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We spin a wheel at the end of every month to determine the value of each color. They do the math and come to my "Sweet Shop." I have pencils,erasers,colored pencils,felt pens...things from the Dollar Store. My fourth graders love the poker chip system
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

RebeccaF

Classroom Money
Old 06-30-2006, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My co-worker uses a system called "Lucy Bucks" (they have a picture of her dog Lucy on them) and holds periodic auctions. She teaches first grade. However, if you are teaching 5th grade or higher, I highly recommend you check out the book "There are no Shortcuts" by Rafe ..... (I forget his last name at the moment). He teaches 5th grade in LA and set up the most awesome program in his classroom that encompasses applying for jobs, paying rent for the desks, filing taxes,etc. It's ambitious, but if I ever move up from Kindergarten to 5th, I might try something similar.
RebeccaF is offline   Reply With Quote

Ilvtching

third grade..
Old 06-30-2006, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Last year was my first and only year with a money system (I am moving to first grade this year). We gave the kids a weekly pay of $6...provided that they didn't move their behavior card off green. I also gave a bonus to kids for various reasons. Then two times per month we would visit the "school store". My teaching partner and I would pick up things at garage sales and take parent donations for items. We had a crayon maker, a Sponge Bob talking cookie jar, cameras, picture frames, toys... I found it was a great way to get rid of gifts from kids of years past. It went great and the kids loved it! Some saved their money for the big ticket item and food was always a HUGE hit!

Good luck!
Ilvtching is offline   Reply With Quote

Steph

Daily Payment
Old 06-30-2006, 12:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi! My kids earn $0.04 per day to stay on my good behavior. If they go above and beyond they earn a nickel. One step under good and they have to pay me...two steps no money. I also pay for acts of kindness, extremely good work, compliments, and complete homework for a week. Every two weeks I open my classroom store which consists of items in range from $0.50-$2.00. Hopefully this teaches them to save and plan ahead. I use parent donations and free stuff to stock my store.

Rules of the store include that money has to be in the smallest coin amount possible. They have to trade in money when they can. Also, it stays in the classroom and is a priviledge. I had one who played with it constantly and lost two of the film canisters I provide to keep the coins in. She lost the priviledge to participate. By the 2nd semester, my 2nd graders will be running the store and acting as banker. I may try to do it earlier if I have a parent who can come in at the end of the day everyday. The kids practice counting their money all the time. I expect them to know how much they have and if they buy something they need to know how much change they should get back...we do a lot of talking about this more than them actually figuring it out at the beginning of the year. It takes a lot of time and I have tried to do it by paying them weekly, but with my 8 year olds, the daily handing out of money is necessary for the motivation.

I know teachers who use their "bucks" to buy coupons for eating lunch with the teacher, sitting next to a friend, free homework passes, etc.

Hope that helps.
Steph

Steph is offline   Reply With Quote

Kat's Mom

Yes, I use it!
Old 06-30-2006, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I use the money for rewards and consequences. Students earned money for finished homeworks, permission slips returned in timely manner, no name on board for the week, correctly answered questions, etc. I also gave "bonuses" for perfect attendance each marking period and not having your name on the board for a whole marking period. I also had them pay "fines" for lost take home folders, tipping their chairs, talking out, and they had to pay 10 cents to use the restroom, which was extremely helpful, because when someone handed me a plastic dime in the middle of class, I knew why and they didn't have to interrupt class to ask to go. And, those over-frequent users didn't like spending all their money to go all the time. At the end of each report card grading period, students got to shop at my store, but it did get kinda expensive. Students could also buy cap erasers and pencils from me any time in the mornings. I just used the plastic coins that came with our math kit, and the students stored their money in yogurt containers in their desks. I will have to solicit parents for store donations next year because I spent probably $100 in store goods this year, and I feel guilty about that! Like the other posters, I shopped at dollar stores and garage sales. I also frequently cleaned out my own kids' toy box. My daughter would always crack me up when she'd visit my classroom and say, "Hey, we've got one of those at home too!" (I never told her where it came from nor did she ever figure it out!)
P.S. The most cost effective and popular item I sold at the classroom store were passes to sit by a friend for a day. Those better fit my budget- I need to think of some more items such as these to sell!
Kat's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

imacacher

Banana Bucks
Old 06-30-2006, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I don't use money, per say, but I use Banana Bucks (I found them on the internet--6 to a page and printable!).

100%s on test get a Banana Buck. Quiet groups get a Banana Bucks. Doing extra practice homework assignments get Banana Bucks--all kinds of "above and beyond" behaviors.

The bucks go into a shoe box for a daily drawing. One buck is drawn each day. All of the bucks from the box go into the golden box. On Friday, 5 names are drawn. On Fridays, all of the bucks are also given back--students count them up and put one sticker on their sticker chart for every B.B. that they earned.

I keep my prizes in one of those three drawer carts on wheels.

Daily prizes (top drawer) are small items like special pencils, erasers, free bookmarks from Scholastic, etc.

Weekly prizes (middle drawer) are special pens, nicer pencils, small toys from the dollar stores.

When they fill their sticker chart (doesn't happen NEARLY as often as I was expecting) the bottom drawer has mostly books or other toys/games that I've gotten free from Scholastic.
imacacher is offline   Reply With Quote

JulieP

Ideas I have Used
Old 06-30-2006, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

1. Students paid two reward cards to bring their critter to class on Friday. I allowed anything that was small enough to fit into a small cage.

2. Eat with the teacher in the classroom cost 5 reward cards, and to invite someone from another class to join you was an additional five. My kids LOVED this one.

3.Get out of assigned homework- 5 reward tickets. I would not let them turn these in until the assignment was due. It was one of those reward/ punishment things depending on the kid.

4. Line leader for the week- 3 reward cards.

5. Caboose for the week- 3 reward cards. Caboose was last out, and was responsible for the key and locking the room.

6. Use the Blue chair. I have a plastic video rocker and to use it for the day cost 4 reward cards.

I hope these help.
JulieP is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. TN B

Tickets
Old 06-30-2006, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I use admission tickets (the kind you can get at a raffle). I give three tickets per day for A behavior. I also give tickets for appropriate behavior, 100% on tests, returned homework, quiet group work, and random acts of kindness.

Students pay tickets for talking out, out of seat without permission, extra bathroom trip, borrowing pencils, etc.

Once a month students may redeem their tickets at the store. I have items "priced" for sale. For example: pencils, erasers = 3 tickets; small snack = 10 tockets; spiral notebook, coloring book = 25 tickets. The prices go up to 200 tickets and itmes are medium-sized stuffed animals (from my children's rooms), small model cars, etc. I get lots of items at thrift stores, yard sales and $1.00 stores. It can be expensive but I feel that the value is in teaching students how to earn the reward.
Mrs. TN B is offline   Reply With Quote
tickets

tickets

tried tickets and money
Old 06-30-2006, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I used tickets my first few years teaching... it worked well for what I was doing at the time... teaching gr 4-8 science only. When the kids got an A on a test or quiz they got 2 tickets. When they got a B they got 1 ticket. They got one ticket for completing homework. They put their names on the back of the tickets and placed them in a laminated large envelope with the name of the prize they wanted - usually I had 4 or 5 to choose from. Then at the end of the month, I would draw a name from each envelope. The more tickets they earned, the more chances they got. I think the kids really appreciated it.

I have also used money systems similar to the ones described here. I paid my students $32 a week, +5 for their classroom job. If they broke a rule they got a $5 fine. If they didn't do their homework they got a $10 fine. If they didn't do their classroom job, they lost $1 of their pay per day they didn't do the job. Dollars were given for good behavior above and beyond, etc. Every quarter, we'd hold a market day. Kids would make things at home like book marks, cookies, etc and "sell" them to their classmates. Some kids chose not to make anything and that's fine.
We also had an auction at the end of the year. I raffled off free items from scholastic, stuff my husband brought home from conferences, and "yard sale" type items that the families donated... like books they'd already read and video games they didn't play anymore, etc.

Love_2_Teach

Old 06-30-2006, 08:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thanks for all the great ideas!!
Love_2_Teach is online now   Reply With Quote

tweet

I use dimes
Old 06-30-2006, 10:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I give plastic dimes for making As on assignments, being good all week, etc. When they have 10 they trade for a dollar. Every so often, once a week if I can squeeze it in, we shop. My "store" has little junk from Wal-Mart and the Dollar Tree. My 3rd graders would do just about anything last year to earn a dollar to buy a stretchy snake from Wal-Mart (88 cents for a package of 6 or 8!) or a Groucho Marx nose/glasses thing.

this year I am thinking of changing up and giving smaller denomination coins so there can be more trading. Like giving nickels and have them trade for dimes, quarters and dollars. I may reprice my store so items have different prices. Right now everything is a dollar.
tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

Darlene

Old 07-02-2006, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

yes, but one of my class jobs is banker and each child gets paid for doing daily jobs. they get a "bonus" if they didn't get any oops tickets for the week (part of our responsible student program)

this year i'm going to revamp the process quite a bit, i'll be working on that over the summer.
Darlene is offline   Reply With Quote

Indiana Teacher

At my school, a few classrooms get together
Old 07-02-2006, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

and have a mini-mall. This is a great way to learn about economics. Students create their own store, make products, and sell them to other students at the mini-mall. They also get to go shopping as well. The kids absolutely love it!
Indiana Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

bamagirl

Classroom Money System
Old 07-02-2006, 08:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I have used a classroom money system very successfully for the past 2 years. Students earn money for: all A's on report card, all A's and B's on report card, perfect attendance at the end of each week, no checks at the end of each week, good citizens for each nine weeks, and various other good deeds I catch them doing.

I open my classroom store every 4-5 weeks. I have tried to come up with a lot of things for the students to "buy" that doesn't cost me a lot of money! Here are some things I "sell":
  • small candy/gum (However, I will be doing away with this for the upcoming year due to new health laws.)
  • College Day...Students get to bring a drink (juice, Gatorade, water) and a healthy snack from home.
  • Homework Pass...can only be used on a teacher approved assignment
  • Lunch With A Friend
  • Treasure Box...this includes small items from the dollar store, markers bought at back-to-school sales, toys from cereal, etc.
  • Extra Recess Pass
  • 10 Bonus Points on a Test...no more than 10 points can be added to a test
  • 30 minutes free computer time
  • 1 hour classroom free time
  • Library Helper
  • Office Helper
  • Another Teacher Helper
  • Dinner with your teachers...this costs a lot, so the students have to save all year in order to have enough classroom money!
bamagirl is offline   Reply With Quote

sillylilly

I love my money system
Old 07-03-2006, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I started using money last year in my classroom. I have to teach every subject to my wonderful first and second graders so I use it across the board. I have made copies of it in ones, fives, tens, and twentys. When the students come in the have a dollar on their desk. If they put away thier belongings and start on their morning work in a timely fashion they can bank their dollar. I give everyone a ziplock with their name on it. If I catch someone being good they can earn X amount of money depending on how many students are not doing what they are supposed to do. If I am teaching and some of the students are off task I reward those lisenting by giving them money I don't say anything I just walk over and place it on their desk and they bank it. Before we go to lunch I give everyone a dollar if they follow all lunch rules then they may bank their dollar. I have students that can not go across the monkey bars or run a certain distants and so when we are on the playground I have set amounts for those who work on it and can do it. $15 for going across the monkey bars $20 for running all around the playground. Otherwise they would not practice on their own to master the skill. Students who pick things up off the floor without me asking earn money. I give money for eveyrthing I can possibly find. SRAs I used to have to ride those kids to get them done but I give ten dollars if they make 100 and if they miss one nothing they will work on those things like crazy almost so much I can not keep up with grading them. I also have fines speeding fines if they are caught not walking in the gym durning lunch or in the hall going to the bathroom. Fines also for sassing, talking back, being ugly to other students, and not being prepared for class. All of the teachers in the school know about my system and have the right to revoke dollars for any of the crimes they see. I tell the students that they are going to be able to go shopping wiht the money that they collect. I have a store set up that has very high prices but I tell the students it is so ease to earn money. I open the store every now and then and I have everything from pencils to my big prize the lava lamp which is 350. In our county the students are no longer allowed to have candy so I can no longer have that in the store but nothing is under 10 dollars in the store. The students love it they are constantly counting their money and they have figured out how to do loans and keep tabs and they are exchanging money. In first and second they understand this concept quite well and we have had so much fun with it. I have even had parents send me notes talking about how much their children enjoy it with money attached to buy store items. The students also have to learn responsiblity because they know that if they lose their bank then their money is gone and they must start over. I also have the students bring me the item they are buying and give them a receit so that if they do not open it they can return it if they change their mind within 10days. So teaching two grades at one time I find lots of uses for the money on how to earn and lose it.
sillylilly is offline   Reply With Quote
vicki

vicki

4 th grade
Old 09-27-2008, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Do any of you have a picture of your store?

macedout

classroom money middle school french clases
Old 10-04-2008, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

i teach french to grs 6-8 on a cart,getting new group after 10 weeks and their behavior is HORRENDOUS! to say the least, i've been thinking of instituting a classroom $ system, where they can earn euros and cash in for food/prizes at a market at the end of week 9. any ideas what i can use to represent 1 euro coin? a friend in another district uses beans, however since i'm not in my own classroom and move around, i was looking for something that wont break & not cause a mess, something little and plastic, cheap cuz i need to buy alot! and interesting tactile for the kids to want to have & touch (i have 150-200 kids per marking pd)
thanks! tt

Last edited by macedout; 10-04-2008 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: added text
macedout is offline   Reply With Quote