6th grade math and science routine - ProTeacher Community

littlepig17

6th grade math and science routine
Old 06-30-2006, 10:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi! I'm new to 6th-just hired yesterday. I won't get to meet with my principal again until she gets my fingerprints back. I'm freaking out though. I used to be 3rd. I was wondering if anyone would like to share their Math or Science class routines? Do your students have notebooks for notetaking? I taught 7th math on a temporary contract, so I'm not too worried, but that was awhile ago and I've never done Science. I would like to make the classes very exciting. I'd also like to do a lot of experiments-if possible. Anyway, I'm just wondering if the students use notebooks, how you grade assignments/tests, how you pass the homework back or get it corrected, what the daily routine is. I was also wondering what kind of behavior system you use. I have a behavior chart I used in 3rd, but it might be a bit babyish for 6th. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've read the posts and got some ideas. I'll probably be more at ease when I get to see my classroom, the textbooks, and meet the other 6th grade teachers. Anyway, now I'm beginning to ramble. Thanks for the help!! Amy

Last edited by littlepig17; 06-30-2006 at 10:51 AM..
littlepig17 is offline   Reply With Quote

beckadoo1

new at 6th
Old 07-02-2006, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Welcome to my world littlepig. I too taught 3rd...and I too will be teaching 6th next year. Not math, but I will be teaching Science and Social Studies. I'm very curious about the same things you are. I have a son that just completed 6th grade, so at least I am able to bounce ideas off of him. I asked him about the behavior chart and he about died laughing. He said, "No way, mom! We don't really get chances in 6th grade. First offense you get detention. Second offense you either get 2 days detention or you go to the office...depending on what you did. Don't make your kids go back to a behavior chart, they'll never take you seriously." Anyways, that's his opinion, for what it's worth. I'm interested in finding out what other "seasoned" 6th grade teachers have to say about these things. I too would feel better if I could just see my classroom, but unfortunately my school is not even finished. It doesn't have grass, concrete, water, sewer, or even ceilings in the classrooms. We start in a month, so hopefully someone gets busy....QUICK! lol
beckadoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

littlepig17

Holy Moly!
Old 07-02-2006, 08:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I hope they finish your school in time, Beckadoo1!!! I hope you don't end up in portables, they did that to the teachers at my school when it first opened because it wasn't finished in time. They were sharing classrooms with other teachers at another school too. I haven't seen too many things on behavior management. But, I think there is a board about behavior management. I'm gonna check it out...I'll let ya know what I find. What state are you in?

beckadoo1

Old 07-02-2006, 10:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I hope they get my building done also. I live in Mississippi, in the fastest(or 2nd fastest...I can't remember) growing county in the state. We are opening 8 new schools this next school year, with like 3 or 4 to open the next. With that many new schools...I can't imagine where they'd put us up if the school is not ready. I am quite concerned though. Hopefully all will work out fine though. Somehow, in life, everything seems to work out okay. Besides, what doesn't kill us, certainly makes us stronger. :-)
beckadoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

littlepig17

Old 07-03-2006, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

That's for sure, Beck! If we're teachers, we can handle just about anything! :-) So, now I'm freaking out about cleaning out my old classroom because school starts for them on Jul. 10, but my new school doesn't start until Aug. 14. I have to wait to see my classroom and get the keys until my fingerprints come back and I'm getting them done Wed. I guess I'll just have to get some boxes and pack up this week and store them somewhere....:-0

littlepig17

Beckadoo1
Old 07-03-2006, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Have you heard of Rick Morris? He has great ideas on classroom management. I found an idea for behavior management. It's called ADOPT. It's on his website. It's www.newmanagement.com. You can print out all the pages to use as blackline masters. If your school district can get him to give seminars, it's totally worth it. The New Management Handbook might have a more in depth explanation of it. I have it, I just can't remember it. It's really easy to read his stuff. He makes it interesting.