Rainbow words - ProTeacher Community

Maestra

Rainbow words
Old 09-06-2008, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Kind of a silly question, I guess. Those of you who have the kids write rainbow words to practice spelling.....do they write the word in three different colors - three separate times? Or do they write the word using the 3 colors on top of each other?

Maestra is offline   Reply With Quote

finchfeeder

On Top :)
Old 09-06-2008, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our method is to write the word first in pencil, then three more times, each in a different color, on top of the penciled word. Actually it looks pretty cool and the students love it.
finchfeeder is offline   Reply With Quote

flamom

Old 09-06-2008, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Oh, rainbow words, my daughter disliked this in 3rd grade (and as her mom I hated it). I am glad to see some kids like it though, it was a real struggle for her to do her spelling homework in the first place, but it became all about the colors and having the different colors, vs. the actual spelling of the word. What saved us was there were alternatives to this, one of them money words, that was even worse! but there were a few easier ones to do

ETA: she had to use one color for one letter, a different color for next letter, I think I like what the above poster has suggested, that sounds more like spelling practice.
flamom is offline   Reply With Quote

iluvfirst

Old 09-06-2008, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Rainbow Words: Students write each spelling word with their pencil. They then go back and trace each word with a crayon. They do this two more times with two different crayons.
iluvfirst is offline   Reply With Quote

formerexpat

It's YOUR choice...
Old 09-06-2008, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

and I can't imagine assigning this for homework! Interesting! I use it as a center activity for this week's words in first grade. Higher fliers write "rainbow sentences."

formerexpat is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvstoTeach

another idea for rainbow words
Old 09-06-2008, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I call it words in a rainbow. The class draws a common rainbow with a pencil. They write the words with a crayon (using different colors for each word, or just three colors, etc.) anywhere in the rainbow. We do this in class as part of a spelling center--just did this last week--kids thoroughly enjoyed it.
LuvstoTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

lookahead

Another way...
Old 09-06-2008, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've always assigned rainbow words the way everyone is describing -- write the word, then trace over it in colors. The kids are pretty much just writing the words three (or four, the way some of you descrive it!) times each. Last year, though, my kids didn't think it looked like a rainbow at all. They wanted to call it 3-D writing instead because to their eyes writing that way had a 3-D effect. (It was one of THOSE years...) Anyway, I agreed to call it 3-D writing for them because hey, I don't care what it's called as long as you practice writing the words. To do "rainbow writing," I drew some small rainbow arcs on a piece of paper so that there was room to write the word one time in each space. They used a different color on each level of the rainbow and thought it was absolutely the best thing. We did NOT worry about colors being in rainbow order or anything like that; they could pick any three colors they wanted and use them in any order.
lookahead is offline   Reply With Quote
ahoneycutt

ahoneycutt

ahoney
Old 09-18-2008, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Is there any research on this? It seems like just busy work to me.
Renee' Wallac

Renee' Wallac

Rainbow Words
Old 02-05-2009, 09:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We do three colors on top of one another and there can be no black or brown. I try to use red, blue, yellow or green. You can use 3 of these colors or all four. It is a fun activity.