Math Early Finishers - ProTeacher Community

rem2240

Math Early Finishers
Old 09-06-2008, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

does anyone have any ideas for students who finish early during math? I really am looking for enrichment activities they could do either by themselves or with a partner. Any ideas, resources?

rem2240 is offline   Reply With Quote

katecourt

Math Task Cards
Old 09-06-2008, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I know this year I am using task cards for early finishers. Here is a site that has Math task cards. They are from a 3rd grade website, but you might be able to use for your high students.

http://www.myteacherpages.com/webpag...task_cards.cfm

Good Luck
katecourt is offline   Reply With Quote

ee

mathwire
Old 09-06-2008, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

How about using some of the great ideas at mathwire.com? Most are print and you're ready directions are clear and easy to follow. I'd intro to the class and then whoever gets tome to use them, can.
ee is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. Smiley

Old 09-07-2008, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I like these task cards! Do you make a few sets and then have them cut, laminated, put them on a ring, and let students grab as needed? How do you check to make sure that work is being correctly done, or do you just allow them to do it independently and take it home?

Very neat!
Mrs. Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote

Luv4Teaching

Activites
Old 09-07-2008, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have a challenge paper of the day in back for the kids that finish early along with a huge bunch of small project type items like tangrams, pattern blocks, matching games (homophones, synonyms, math, antonyms...etc) in small tubs that they can take back to their desks. The challenge paper is usually a thinker type paper and I don't grade it but I do take a look at it and usually will stamp their incentive card if they complete one. There are lots of great ideas for these including word searches (especially those that deal with a topic or with core words, etc.), code type work, analogies, math problems that lead to a color by answer, and so on. I have a book that I use too, and at the moment I cannot think of it...try checking out the gifted sites. They have so many ideas that can be used for those quick workers.

Luv4Teaching is offline   Reply With Quote

Mandamay

Teacher I'm Through...
Old 09-08-2008, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

There is a book titled Teacher I'm Through....Now What Do I Do? There is a gr. 1-2 and 2-3 I believe. They are both fantastic and have both math and language activities that help those high flyers think outside the box a bit. I make little packets and call them "Brain Builder Packets" for them to work on when they finish. Definitely a good investment!
Mandamay is offline   Reply With Quote

jschalet

A Little Free Time
Old 09-09-2008, 08:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I try not to penalize my students who happen to be quicker at math. If all is done corectly I have little baggies full of pattern blocks, cubes, a 50 piece puzzle or Legos. They have a chance to work silently at one of these activites. They think they are playing, but I know that each requires some thinking.
jschalet is offline   Reply With Quote