Introducing Biographies - ProTeacher Community

griffeysmom

Introducing Biographies
Old 09-07-2008, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anyone have ideas or tips to introducing biographies? Do you begin with the characteristics of how a biography is set up? What activities do you do in the early days of this study?

griffeysmom is offline   Reply With Quote

iluv3rd

Read a great biography aloud...
Old 09-07-2008, 10:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I always try to read aloud an example of a genre we're going to study before the actual study begins. There are some great picture book examples (Wilma Unlimited, Lou Gehrig.. some subtitle, Ghandi, etc.) if you are short on time. I have read Boy (about Raold Dahl) and Knots In My YoYo String (Jerry Spinelli... although they are autobiographies) with older kids. Ralph Fletcher wrote Marshfield Dreams as well

Then you can have the kids look at a large collection of biogrpahies and have them discover similarities and differences among them. We chart what the kids notice... I don't often tell them the characteristics. Then they read several shorter biographies and see if their ideas match the intitial list. In third grade, we follow up with their reading a biography of choice and giving a book talk about the person they read about.

Last edited by Editor; 06-04-2011 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: removed copyrighted material
iluv3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Another Idea
Old 09-07-2008, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Iluv3rd had some great ideas...here are four more!

As a final project, have your students dress as the person they are reading about and then have a classroom wax museum. Students from other classrooms will come to your museum and bring pennies/nickles that will be placed in the bowl/can in front of each of your wax figures (students). When money is deposited, your students will tell about the person they studied and dressed as. The money can be donated to a local food pantry or the humane society.

Have each student write questions on five to eight cards about the person he/she is studying. When it is time to talk about the person each child studied, that child will give the cards to other students in the class. These class members will ask the questions, and the child who wrote the cards will answer the questions. This activity keeps everyone on task!

You could also have your students share the biography they read (see attachment). The attachment is the form I send home so parents can help their children practice.

You might also want to take a look at the ideas in ProTeacher's collections. Here is the link. http://www.proteacher.org/c/281_Biog...ographies.html
Attached Files
File Type: doc Sharing a Biography.doc (36.5 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by ConnieWI; 09-07-2008 at 05:57 PM..
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote