Third Grade

Need book ideas for teaching summarizing

>

Closed Thread

mstasha08

Need book ideas for teaching summarizing
Old 09-07-2008, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Please help I need books for my mini-lessons to teach summarizing to my third graders.

ConnieWI

Retelling and Summarizing
Old 09-07-2008, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Go to http://www.fcrta.net/PAGES/resources.html and click on retelling/summarizing. There is a great list of books. This is a wonderful site with lists for numerous comprehension skills.

I hope this helps!

learnalways

Cynthia Rylant
Old 09-07-2008, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I did a lesson on that with Cynthia Rylant - The old woman who named things. the kids loved it!
we used post its and they had to put what they thought was a main point or detail. We had them all do one and even if duplicated it was put up. they had to determine together which fit where. They really could see it! I was amazed at how many things they were able to recall and summarize. I read the story to them and then split them up into reading groups and they split the story into three parts. They then had to pick from their group and then put them together. I could send you the plan. it worked so great.

Mrs. C

Another source
Old 09-08-2008, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If your school receives the Weekly Reader or Time for Kids, those are great to use as "starters" for summarizing. Students can highlight the information and put it into their own words. The shorter articles seem to help get kids started and not be too overwhelmed with text.

Right now, because the class I have now is really low, we are starting out with vocabulary definitions. I typed the word definitions on a page and put some lines underneath. We'll go through the words and discuss which are important, then write the definitions in their own words. Of course, we're still working on the idea that reading is thinking......but, we will prevail!!