Order of teaching reading strategies - ProTeacher Community

Ms. J

Order of teaching reading strategies
Old 09-07-2008, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In what order do you teach reading strategies? Approximately how many weeks do you spend teaching each reading strategy?

Ms. J is offline   Reply With Quote

ealtensee

Schools of thought
Old 09-08-2008, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The key to teaching reading strategies is not the order, but the way in which you model the strategy. Research shows that students who are taught explicitly the name of and reason for the strategy will utilize a particular strategy. Obviously, some reading strategies require more modeling and practice--for instance, inference. The first thing to do is the "in your head" talk when reading modeling. It sounds so simple, but good readers do this without thinking. Teaching and practicing the reading strategies takes lots and lots of time! For me, the really good recommendation for teaching reading strategies came from Mosaic of Thought, whereby the authors encourage quality over quantity. A few of my peers, who also have a very scripted program, do not focus on the three strategies that the curriculum scripts in each story, but emphasize one or two throughout the established routines. For instance, we teach making predictions before reading and during reading; I really, really work on making connections (text-to-text, text-to-self, and text-to-world) throughout the third grade year. It amazes me how students say they have no connections. If you don't connect with what you read--even the most precursory, basic, or weirdo way, is it considered reading? Reading is connections--the deeper the connections, the better the understanding. For this reason, I teach making connections first and foremost. I don't feel that there is a sequence in particular that you should follow, but I would say you need a plan. Your plan will most likely conflict with what your basal TE tells you to teach at times, but the curriculum companies don't have your students in mind when they are writing. Some years kids make great connections (I had a class of high function autistic kids one year) to students who never think about what they are thinking and have trouble asking questions. The more you think about what makes you understand what you read and the more you study the art (and science) of teaching reading, the more clear it will be to you which strategies are the most important. I love teaching reading because it is a complicated, marvelous process. Every year I am amazed at the connections and things I learn from my students in the process! Good luck to you!
ealtensee is offline   Reply With Quote

kaymills

Depends....
Old 09-08-2008, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

First four weeks VOCAB! Multiple meaning, synonym/antonym, context clues, prefix suffixes, etc.

Next four weeks-- Summarizing, retelling, order of imporant events, etc.

That is what we start with for the first couple of months!

I take as long as we need on each one to grasp the strategy, plus start mixing them in together.
kaymills is offline   Reply With Quote