Teaching left and right - ProTeacher Community

Mrs. S.

Teaching left and right
Old 09-11-2008, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have any good (or great) ideas for teaching K left and right?

Mrs. S. is offline   Reply With Quote

msamyb

left and right
Old 09-11-2008, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Ideas - not good or great but worked when I taught Kindergarten:
  • stamp their right hand every day for the entire first and second quarters of school.
  • write an L on left hand and R on right hand in washable marker.
  • remind them that their right hand is the one they use to put over their heart for the pledge.
  • If you teach at a catholic school, remind them they use their right hand to make the sign of the cross.
  • have them hold their hands out in front of them and see that their left hand looks like/makes the letter "L"
  • label their desks left and right
  • label the inside of your classroom door left and right
msamyb is online now   Reply With Quote

AddieJ

rhyme
Old 09-11-2008, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

while learning about locational terms, we use this little rhyme (I put a sticker on everyone's right hand to help them at first):

This is my left hand, I'll hold it up high,
(Raise left hand high.)
This is my right hand, I'll touch the sky.
(Raise right hand high.)
Left hand, right hand, roll them around.
(Roll fists over each other.)
Right hand, left hand, pound, pound, pound.
(Pound fists on each other.)

We repeat it everyday for about a week. I also show my kids the L that their left hands make (I still use that trick!)

When doing the pledge we all face the same way and our right hands are the ones that point towards the calendar. With daily repetition, this helps it to stick for most of my kids (a lot of the kids start referring to their right hand as their pledge hand.) Whatever works, I guess!
I also put up right/left hands on my calendar & whiteboards and on the student's tables by their name plates.
AddieJ is offline   Reply With Quote

motbteach

Old 09-11-2008, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Along with things mentioned in the pps, I use their take home folders to help teach left and right. I send a letter and construction paper home to parents asking them to trace and cut out their child's hands and return them to me. I write "to be LEFT at home" and "bring RIGHT back" on the hands, then use book tape to adhere their "left hand" to the left pocket of their folder and "right hand" to the right. When we pack our papers in our folder, not only do they learn left and right, they learn to read the words.
motbteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Linn

I hope
Old 09-11-2008, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

that I can describe this clearly to you. If you were here in person this would make sense. Hold up your left hand in front of you. With your thumb and index finger make the Sign Language letter L. Tell the children to do the same. If they are trying to figure out which is left and right, the left hand will make an L but the right hand will make a backwards L...does this make sense????? Sorry. I wish I could explain it better. Hope this helps.

Linn is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsGee

Old 09-11-2008, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Only teach the right hand.....greet them every morning by making them shake with their right. I put mint or vanilla on their right hand for many days...we talk about their smelly hand.

What's left....is left. (HWT)
MrsGee is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 09-11-2008, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Those are great ideas, and very few that I have ever thought of. I have heard of the making the L trick with the left hand, but reallly how many kindergartners know which direction L is supposed to go anyway?

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

AddieJ

"L" trick
Old 09-12-2008, 01:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I think the "L" trick is mainly for adults My kinders will hold it up but then still tell me their left is their right & vice versa! Only a few actually put the two concepts together without trouble. I do point out to hold up their hand to an alphabet chart and see if it matches up with the L on there (w/out twisting their hand around to make it fit) and that helps some kids. Everytime we do writing we discuss the right & left side of the paper and same thing when doing reading so it's something we talk about all the time. I think with more repetition and the more they see right/left "in action," they'll eventually catch on.
AddieJ is offline   Reply With Quote

GAkinder9

Old 09-12-2008, 07:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I reinforce left and right every day with our lunch count. Each student has a popcicle stick with their name on it and a magnet on the back so it sticks to a magnetic surface. This year I have a magnetic white board, last year I just used the side of a metal teacher desk. When it is time to make their lunch choice, I say one choice is on the left, the other is on the right. They have to learn their left and right to know where to put their stick!
GAkinder9 is offline   Reply With Quote

In good time

Right hand only
Old 09-12-2008, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I find teaching ONLY the RIGHT HAND helps a lot. Shake hands with right hand, hold stair rail with right hand, Use a scented lotion one day, a stamp, a sticker, a tickle on the palm.... you get the idea. Walk only on the right hand side of the hallway. Anyway, once they start getting the idea, left is easy. It's the only one left!!
In good time is offline   Reply With Quote

Bertie

left and right
Old 09-12-2008, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Don't forget the Hokey Pokey! Look in your school library - several years ago I purchased a Scholastic book about Left and Right (that may even have been the title) and it had a Halloween theme. At least the photo on the cover was of two jack o'lanterns. So Oct would be the perfect month to read it.
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote

lablover3

Cha Cha Slide
Old 09-12-2008, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I use the Cha Cha Slide song with them as well. My kids beg for it! It reinforces left and right, counting, and following directions!
lablover3 is offline   Reply With Quote

keetr77

I love the idea of 'to be left at home' & ...
Old 09-18-2008, 12:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I'm going to use this... Thank you!

I'm still student teaching but had a breakthrough with one of my Grade 1s a few weeks ago. She asked me about left and right and I got her to trace her hands on a sheet of paper and then showed her how her forefinger and thumb of her left hand make an "L". I could quite literally see the light bulb go off in her eyes! It was such a cool moment for me.

Great ideas guys! Thanks!
keetr77 is offline   Reply With Quote