Help

ARCHIVE

Who's getting ready for the fall?

>

Susan/IN

Who's getting ready for the fall?
Old 07-04-2006, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Now that June is over and I'm moved into my new room at school, I have actively started thinking about the fall and all the changes that will be taking place. I know I'm going to have a new teaching partner, I know we are adding guided reading groups to our second grade and I will be a big part of supporting/training these staff members, and we have a literacy night coming up in September. I was hoping to go at least two more weeks before I actively started thinking about all that, but I didn't make it! We have one teacher in our building who painted her classroom and the hallway and then offered to paint our TV studio! I draw the line at that! Our hallways and many rooms desperately need painting or washed but my feeling is that if we start doing that, it will always be expected. That's something that should be done by the building/district in my opinion.

What do each of you do during the summer to get ready for the fall?

Susan/IN is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

classroom?
Old 07-04-2006, 08:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do you mean just in the classroom itself? We can't even get into our school over the summer - until the end of July. There is nobody there. I do start collecting things that I want to decorate my classroom with, when I can finally get in. I always go in at least a week before I have to, to decorate my room.

Last year the district painted our classrooms, but our grade level forgot to turn in the paint color so it didn't get painted . A colleague and I went in early and just did it ourselves! We got a pretty blue color and it looks great! It was more fun with someone else to help, too.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

Thinking
Old 07-04-2006, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I haven't done this much prep work during the summer in YEARS! I've been working on school stuff since the day school let out!

We are fortunate in that we are given keys to our building and we can go up there any time we need to--24/7. Sometimes the gates to the driveways will be locked, so we have to park there and climb over (it's just a bar about 3 feet off the ground). And it can feel creepy at night--my school is on a highway 9 miles from the nearest town. But there seems to be someone there all the time. I teach in a small district-all grades are housed on the same property--and the high school coaches seem to live at the school, so usually when I want to work, somebody else is somewhere on campus.
tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

AnnieTeach1st

Getting Ready
Old 07-04-2006, 08:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I told myself that I would not do any school stuff until at least July so as soon as the calendar hit July I have been starting to get some projects going. I just started making my new B.E.E. Books for the year. I used them the year before last and loved them. I didn't use them last year and missed them a lot. I have also been itching for the stores to get their back to school stuff in and for them to have some really good sales. I am addicted to back to school sales. I also cant wait for the stores to get their fall clothes in so I can by some new school clothes for myself. I have lost 40 pounds so none of my old clothes fit (good problem to have). I can't get into my room until August. I went by the other day just to peek in the window to see how much of the cleaning they have gotten done.
AnnieTeach1st is offline   Reply With Quote

Ilvtching

here's hoping..
Old 07-04-2006, 09:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am hoping to be able to get into my room next week! The custodians wanted to be done with our building this week, because then their team moves to the next one! I need to sort through things left by last years teacher and get all my stuff ready. I have been collecting ideas, making stuff and reading A LOT! I feel like I am just spinning my wheels now, becuase I need to get in my room and work.

Ilvtching is offline   Reply With Quote
MsPropel

MsPropel

Can't do much...
Old 07-04-2006, 10:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

As far as getting my room ready, there isn't much I can do. We have an Extended School Year (ESY) program for our special education kids over the summer and they use the primary wing to hold classes. They won't be don't until the end of July/first week of August. Then the custodians will get in to clean and paint (hopefully, as they didn't last year). Teachers go back August 8th and it looks like that will be my first day in my room. I'm doing as much as I can here at home, but it would be nice to be able to work in my room. I have so many ideas, but I don't know how it will all fit. I hope that I don't spend a lot of time on something and then not be able to put it somewhere!

apple324

I'm almost done!!!:)
Old 07-04-2006, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am pretty lucky because my school has a night custodian...he comes in from 5-9 p.m. and we are able to go anytime from 8 a.m. until 9 p.m. ....so I have the students desk set up, my desk...I almost have my library done...bullentin boards are almost done...I moved to a new school (another district) so I have a week long training july 17-21 and then the teachers start back a week after that...so I really would not have a lot of time to get the classroom situated...I feel really sorry for all the new teachers in my building that have not been in the all summer...they will be stressed out trying to get everything together....I know because I have been there and done that before!
apple324 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cinderella

I've started too!!!
Old 07-04-2006, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I went yesterday to Hobby Lobby and The Dollar Tree and found some great bargains for my classroom. I am using the theme " IT's a Jungle Out There," and found some things I can use for that. I also found some other neat things for my room. I am getting excited and need to work more on it everyday now that the 4th of July is about over. My room was painted by the district last year and they put down new tile. The custodians have already cleaned and waxed the floor and my room is ready for me. We probably won't be able to get into school for about two weeks. They are stripping and waxing the hallways now! I must get busy. I have lots of ideas and plenty of work to get done. I like to have everything done so I can enjoy August until Teacher inservice days start. Good luck everyone on getting ready for a new school year. Happy 4th!!
Cinderella is offline   Reply With Quote

mrssimon2gr

every 10 years. I'm serious
Old 07-04-2006, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

that's how often our rooms get painted. We are not even allowed to paint them. It's one color for the whole school...beigeish dirt color I call it. I cover it up with the kids stuff so I won't care.

We can't get in until a week before school starts.

I am doing as much getting ready as I can from home but it's hard. I found the place at scholastic where I could use their template to set up my room. I'm hoping my little drawing plan works. I'm in the same room as last year but it was my first year in second grade and I was in a trailer with 5th before that. I have some tweaking to do.

I was on the facilities committee last year and really encouraged the school to consider some murals done by high school art students ...our halls are the same beige dirt color with a navy blue stripe as wide as a cinder block down the middle of the wal....
So far, no real excitement from the mural idea. I even offered to get the paint donated...or for God's sake to buy it myself. I think our building is too ultra conservative.
This coming from the woman who built the rainforest in her reading corner...what can I say.
Kym :-)
mrssimon2gr is offline   Reply With Quote

Jenirae

Start back to school tomorrow!
Old 07-04-2006, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I could start gettting the room ready on Fri., after 1 teacher went off track (actually EOY, which was Memorial Day for me).I move into that room for 3 mos, until I go off track again. On top of that, some genius assigned the very next evening for Back-to-School Night! Well,,only 3 days of school this first week! Fall would be a lovely thought. It's been hovering around 100 for the last 2 weeks, here in
S. CA.

Jenirae is offline   Reply With Quote

Love_2_Teach

Old 07-05-2006, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Yeah Fall weather would be nice. I start back to school on Friday as well. We can get into our rooms now so I will go in tommorrow for a bit to work. Moving every three months does keep the clutter down but its a lot of work setting up your room everytime.
Love_2_Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

andreea75

getting ready
Old 07-05-2006, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I taught Summer School this year and lucky for me it was at my campus. I'm also 6 months pregnant and still feeling pretty good and mobile. So, I stayed after and got most of my room ready. All the bulletin boards are up, room is rearranged, file cabinet is half way cleaned out, manips and centers are all organized. In August when I may be feeling a bit heavier and less likely to want to staple border I won't have to worry - it's already done!
andreea75 is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

No A/C
Old 07-06-2006, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Well, I can get in the building... I have a really nice principal who lets me keep my keys over the summer... however, it's about 95 degrees outside and there's no A/C on and there are no windows in the building.. so, not much of a chance of me going up there and suffering through!

A colleague and I have decided we're going to brave it the last few weeks of July and go get laminating and copying done before everyone else shows up.. :-D
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

stephanie

Prep work
Old 07-06-2006, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

We can't get into the building until the first week of August. Back-to-school night is the 14th, so I will be working pretty hard the first week of August. My daughter leaves for college on the 13th, so we are in the midst of collecting "dorm stuff" for her this year too. I am hoping to get her help setting up my classroom before she leaves! I am trying to get lesson formats and my yearly outline together this month so that I just have to make copies when I return to school. Also trying to set up field trips and guest speakers for my grade level before August. Ahhh... the life of a teacher!
stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote