Anchor Charts - ProTeacher Community

msharkey

Anchor Charts
Old 09-18-2008, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My first graders are up to 10 minutes on our 10th day of school today! WOO HOO!!!

Seriously, I've been teaching first grade for 20 years and I have never seen independent reading so quiet and productive!

Anyway, I haven't read the book but have read all the posts and basked in everyone's rewards this year. Thank you so much to everyone who have shared!!!!!!

I think I'll wait another week to make sure the 10 minutes are a solid 10 minutes (or more) before attempting Read To Someone. (My class is pretty low functioning - poor language skills/abilities, and VERY immature BUT I am pleasantly surprised with the Read to Self and am hoping it can keep up).

Along with the Daily 5, I am obligated to do our district's version of Reading Workshop which seems to be a combination of the Diller and Miller. I've been sliding in what I've done so far but there are some things I need to cover before moving onto Read to Someone.

Anyway, I was hoping someone could walk me through an anchor chart for Read to Someone. I love the Read to Self chart format with the definition of why we do it, what the students's jobs are and what the teacher is doing while they do it. Is the Read to Someone Chart similiar?

Thanks for the help. You guys are great!
Shark

msharkey is offline   Reply With Quote

iluv3rd

I love this bookmark
Old 09-18-2008, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

for read to someone. It helped my kids know what to do...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Daily 5 Coaching sheet.pdf (68.1 KB, 872 views)
iluv3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

iluv3rd

I love this bookmark
Old 09-18-2008, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

for read to someone. It helped my kids know what to do when doing "I read, you read." I forget the details of the anchor chart and my book is at school. I remember there are 3 ways to read with someone and we charted those. I read, you read was one but my tired brain just went blank. I am sure someone else can fill in the rest of the information.
iluv3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

I read, you read
Old 09-19-2008, 05:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

check for understanding, and read 2 different books. And don't forget rock paper, scissors for deciding if you can' agree right away. I have watched my kids do rock, paper, scissors during other coop groups now, and it just cracks me up. Many of the skills in d5 transfer over. We read some science books together earlier in the week and I didn't have enough. My first graders said, "it's okay, we'll sit EEKK!"

Teaching them coaching skills (counting to 10, then asking if they need help or coaching) and how to decide what reading strategy to suggest if they want coaching is awesome.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

msharkey

Thanks for your posts everyone!
Old 09-20-2008, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love the Coaching bookmark. I think I might make that into poster size and display in the room as well as make the bookmarks.

I loved the "I" format of the Read to self with the T chart of what the students do and the other side with what the teacher does duirng self to read. I guess I was hoping I'd be able to do the same for Read to Someone. I was also hoping I wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel if someone had something already made.

I'll work on it this weekend and early week. I'll be sure to include the EEKK and the Rock,paper, scissors somehow as well as some of the coaching suggestions. There is so much to include that I'm thinking I might need more than one poster. Perhaps one for each way to read to someone - one for "I read, you read", another for "Choral Reading", another for "Reading Different Books". I have found the more specific I can be with this current group, the better. I will most likely have to spend a few days on each kind to insure they really understand it before moving onto another. Just thinking out loud.

I'll post it when I finish for those who might be interested.

Thanks again for the input,
Shark

beachbumteach

Anchor Charts *Read to Someone*
Old 09-20-2008, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hi!
These are the charts we have created so far (in order). I will continue all next week with Read to Someone.

*WHY we do Read to Someone (urgency chart)

*Ways to read to someone (Echo Read - I read, you read; Choral Read - We read at the same time)

*What to decide on with your partner (find a spot, find a book, decice on a way to read) -- This isn't in the book, but MY class was confused on this part, so we charted this one together!

*Check for Understanding

*How to find a reading partner

*Coaching or time (give out bookmarks)
beachbumteach is offline   Reply With Quote

msharkey

Found some!
Old 09-21-2008, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Beachbumteach, THank you so much for sharing the order. It helps tremendously! Now I have the order that I need to follow. YEAH! You're fabulous!

I did find a group of anchor charts that I must have saved from a source I found on PT. I'll attach it when I get into my school account. That's where I saved it.

Shark

msharkey

Here's what I found !
Old 09-21-2008, 07:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hope others will find it as helpful as I do! And whoever shared it, THANK YOU!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Daily5AnchorCharts[1].pdf (50.9 KB, 759 views)