The standard is as follows....
2.3.a. Soils support the growth of many kinds of plants, including those in our food supply.
The grade level expectations...
1. Observe and analyze the different components of soil, including rock fragments, water, air, minerals and organic material.
2. Use senses and simple equipment (e.g., sieves and settlement tests) to separate soil components and identify sand, silt and clay particles.
3. Classify soils by properties such as color, particle size (texture), or amount of organic material (humus).
4. Explain and evaluate the importance of soil to plants, animals and people.
5. Plan and conduct fair tests to investigate how different soil types affect plant growth and write conclusions supported by evidence
Any ideas are very appreciated....even books that any of you have used.
4cips - sorry about your loss