Help

ARCHIVE

Homeworkopoly with money???

>

Rosberry

Homeworkopoly with money???
Old 07-05-2006, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone do homeworkopoly and incorporate classroom money? If so I was wondering how you go about doing so. I am thinking about it for next year. Thanks

Rosberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Steph

I do
Old 07-05-2006, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi! I use money everytime they pass go. I forget how much I give...it depends on the year...maybe a nickel. I work with small money. I also put classroom money on the cards. Sometimes it's a penny. I also have a community card where everyone gets some money. It is definately one of my "prizes".

Steph
Steph is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherCarrie

Old 07-05-2006, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Great question! I'm starting up a classroom economy this coming year as well as Homeworkopoly. So, thanks for posting this!
TeacherCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote

kutia

What is this?
Old 07-05-2006, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've never heard of Homeworkopoly before. Would someone mind explaining how it is played? Also where can I find a pattern for the board and any other pieces that go with the game?
kutia is offline   Reply With Quote

kristy21578

Homeworkopoly
Old 07-05-2006, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

There is several posting for homeworkopoly and the website that has the board and patterns is

www.teachnet.com/homeworkopoly/

I have found many posting for this today and this is my forst time hearing about the game also. Sounds great and I am planning on using it on a weekly basis next year with second grade.

Good luck and I am sure that you can archive "homeworkopoly"

Kristy21578

kristy21578 is offline   Reply With Quote

katenar

Old 07-05-2006, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Go to homeworkopoly.com for the basics.

I ended up making my own - it's the regular size board out of posterboard. I am think I'm going to use small clothespins for the student markers....I'm not sure.

I added different spots where the kids could get the following:

Free Computer Time
Homework Pass
Pencil Box Prize (erasers and pencils)
Brain Bender (they can work on our puzzle or other brain puzzles)
Backpack - they pick a card and do what is says (the kids will decide on these for the most part)
School Lunchbox - same as backpack

Hope this helps. If you want to see pics of mine feel free to e-mail me a katenar_78@yahoo.com. I'll be happy to send you pics of mine.

Have a great day!

Katie
katenar is offline   Reply With Quote

aliryan

Homeworkopoly
Old 07-05-2006, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I use homeworkopoly and my class love it.
For tokens or counters I took photos of my students- then cut out their heads and laminated them. I use these as their tokens using blutack to attach them to the board.
Everytime I look at the board I can't help smiling when I see all the little heads floating around the board.
aliryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Nat

what an excellentq
Old 07-06-2006, 06:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

idea...taking the pictures for the moving parts! never even dawned on me!

nat
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote

gloves2teach

game pieces
Old 07-07-2006, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I went to the craft store and got a bunch of those little wooden pieces that are painted like crabs, fish, flowers, footballs, etc. They have a ton of them. I don't really know if they have a name. Anyhow, I bought 25 different ones and glued a small magnet on the back. It works great and can be reused over and over again.

Now here is my problem. I have done homeworkopoly several years now. They earn a turn around the board once each week. If a student hasn't completed their homework all week they sit out. I have found that I just don't have time anymore to play. So I have decided this year it will come out of their recess time on Fridays. It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes of their recess. The next problem is keeping up with all the prizes. It can get way out of hand with 20+ kids. Any solutions?
gloves2teach is offline   Reply With Quote
JulieJ

JulieJ

5thgradeteacher
Old 07-10-2006, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Last year I gave each of my students their own checkbooks, you can print personalized checks on moneyinstructor.com. Not only did they learn how to write checks, balance their checkbooks, etc., they also had to pay bills each month for desk, chair and cubby rental. When we played Homeworkopoly (which was a life-size board on my floor) each time they passed GO, they earned $250.00 as a deposit to their checking account. In addition to their monthly bills, they also earned a salary for being a good student, $1,000 per month. At the end of the year they used the money in their checkbooks to buy items at our year-end auction. They had a blast!

Sheida

Sheida

Old 10-25-2006, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I would love to hear more in detail how this works. What do you have on the gameboard? How often do they play?

jensw

Old 10-25-2006, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
It can get way out of hand with 20+ kids. Any solutions?
I play every day, and I have a student run the game while I am passing out end of day papers or helping students organize to go home. I call out the names of the student who can play (I have the names of no-homework kids on the board), and they go up and stand in line to play. If they land on a prize or puzzle spot, they may redeem it whenever they choose *on their own time*. So they just draw a card and keep that card 'til they choose to redeem the prize. I have a few who never redeem the cards for a prize, but I figure that's their choice.
jensw is offline   Reply With Quote