How do you spend for classroom supplies? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

ARCHIVE

How do you spend for classroom supplies?

>

Tee

How do you spend for classroom supplies?
Old 07-05-2006, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My husband always asks me to keep up with how much I spend for classroom, so we can use it on our taxes. This year I have started keeping my receipts. So, far I've spent about $60.00 and I'm just getting started. I am just wondering how much do you spend each year.

Thanks

Not items such as pencils, paper for the students but things you will use.

Tee is offline   Reply With Quote

lis3569

Old 07-05-2006, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

are you talking about the things that the school doesnt pay for? I spent alot last year ( I always do and every year I saw I am not going to! sigh...). I spent about $800 on things but then I switched grades and had to buy bookcases, books, posters... I taught technology before and third last year so I had really nothing!
lis3569 is offline   Reply With Quote

GB

Hundreds of dollars..
Old 07-05-2006, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

and always longing for more. Tell your hubby just take the maximum, you've spent it. It's at $250 or so for taxes right now, isn't it?

I think I could have a feasible, sensible, dream classroom in a year if I had about $2000 to blow all at once.

Can you imagine what a career teacher has spent on their classroom??
GB is offline   Reply With Quote

Ilvtching

money on school stuff...
Old 07-05-2006, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Two years ago on taxes my receipts for school stuff totalled over $1100! My husband was not happy to say the least! Last year at tax time I had cut it almost in half with $650. This year I am moving to a new grade and trying to cut it more... we shall see!

Amy
Ilvtching is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

spent
Old 07-05-2006, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Last year I spent $1200. I wrote it all off on taxes because we itemize. It actually helps me to spend because we can use the deductions.
I probably average around $800 a year. I save the receipts for our files.

Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

so much better!
Old 07-05-2006, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It's ironic how now that I'm making more money as a teacher, I spend less on my classroom! As a first year (very broke) teacher, I spent so much money that I couldn't really afford to, but needed so much for my room! I've honestly learned to WAIT before I buy something. I've made a list and it helps me cull through what I really NEED to buy and what I'll actually use. Our school gave us a $75. gift card to Walmart, so I'm going to make sure I use it wisely instead of spending my own money. I'm sure I've spend hundreds of dollars over the 6 years I've taught, but I've spent less each year.
SusanTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

SC

Old 07-05-2006, 08:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've gotten much better at buying only what I need, getting the school to pay for what I do need, and making things that are simple to make for free/cheap. I would say I spend under $300 last year. I haven't spent anything for the upcoming year. I have finally decided that if the school really wants me to have it, they will find a way to pay for it. I'm not running a charity/mission, and I make very little as it is. I know that sounds stingy, but I spent hundreds, if not a thousand, the first year I taught.
SC is offline   Reply With Quote

sillylilly

I try not to keep up with it
Old 07-05-2006, 08:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

After the 250 you can deduct from taxes I try not to keep up with it becuase I would probably cry and tell myself no wonder I have trouble paying the light bill each month and have to work an extra job on the side. I spend so much money because my school is small and poor that I get nothing from the school except my pay check and loving support. I have to buy all the supplies for the children plus the stuff that I want to use and I always have a wish list going for the parents and all but they struggle too because economy is so bad.
sillylilly is offline   Reply With Quote

mab

Scary thought!
Old 07-06-2006, 06:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I try not to think how much I spend every year because I really don't want to know, but mostly, I don't want my husband to know! I've been teaching for 24 years and the total amount I've spent over the years is..... scary! But what do you do.....
mab is offline   Reply With Quote

KellyTeachTX

Small poor school???? what????
Old 07-06-2006, 09:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I was in the same spot. Small, very poor school. The kids couldn't even come with the basics, and our counselor ended up having to beg the school board for more money for supplies.

It's really sad.
But, NOW, I'm in a district where the parents can afford ANYTHING. I'm wondering what the problem will be then....kids competing for who has the best Prada backpack and most expensive tennis-shoes. ugh...

KellyTeachTX is offline   Reply With Quote

pamnpr

To KellyTeachTX
Old 07-06-2006, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Hi, Last year I started at a brand new school in a very nice neighborhood, (I was so lucky) I couldn't believe how wonderful and giving the parents were. It sure made my life ($$$$$$) as a school teacher much better. I know you are going to enjoy having this wonderful group of helping hands to work with. "SMILE"
pamnpr is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

kellyteach
Old 07-06-2006, 10:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I had to make a comment about what you said about the different districts - it reminds me of what happened to us last year. I'm in a wonderful school, don't get me wrong, but there are some parents that think the rules don't apply to them - and it tends to be the wealthy ones (although not always). Anyway, we have a "no flip-flop" rule at our school - but the daughter came with them anyway. When the teacher mentioned (kindly) to the child not to wear them anymore (at least she didn't turn her into the office!), the mom got mad and went to the principal. She said it was "more important that her child look cute than go by the rules".
SusanTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

mamahawk

Wonderful parent
Old 07-06-2006, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Two years ago I had a parent call me about two weeks before school started. She had left me a $250 gift certificate at a local teacher supply store!! I had taught her child the year before and she just wanted to say thank you. I got to buy all those little things I couldn't afford
mamahawk is offline   Reply With Quote

fun_friend

Old 07-06-2006, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I spend a lot plus my school has always paid for things that I have requested. That was when I taught language arts which is a high priority with math at most schools! Now I'm teaching career connections which is kind of an exploratory for kids and not high priority. I know my budget will be much smaller. I bought a few books from Scholastic Warehouse that I thought were career-oriented. I used my Amazon gift card to purchase a teaching resource that sounds promising (about 14 dollars). I am always picking up new pens and sticky notes or cardstock to make flashcards or whatever. I like to use points, but I have used dollars as well on teacher books from Scholastic. I subscribe to The Mailbox (pricey!) and have purchased resources from them over the years as well. I buy a large box of pencils from Wal-Mart and sell them to the kids for 10 cents. I do the same with cap erasers. Never let it be said that I am in the pencil biz for the money!
fun_friend is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher2

dollars spent
Old 07-06-2006, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I spend way too much like most teachers. It is the only way I can add things to my class that I really want but aren't required. I have spent between $500.-1000.+ in any given year. I do try to laminate some things and reuse whenever possible. We are allowed to ask parents for donations of items, they get service hour credit for doing so. That helps, but since parents are doing the shopping, sometimes you get what you want and sometimes you get something they think should work just as well. Teachers are amazingly talented at stretching the dollar, and using seemingly unusable items when we have to.
teacher2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Laura

Classroom Spending
Old 07-06-2006, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Unfortunately I averedge about $3,500 a year. I keep receipts to itemize and take full advantage of it. My husband hates it too. He often asks "Where does your money go?"
I spend way too much. The first weekend of school I am going to Ikea in Chicago and I may need to send my first paychek there!!!!!
Laura is offline   Reply With Quote

gloves2teach

What other job?
Old 07-07-2006, 05:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

This brings up a sore spot for me. I hate when people complain about teachers and how much they get paid a year and they only work 180 days. I love to tell them to spend one week in my shoes.
I may only have students 180 days a year but I work way more than that! This is one of the only jobs that require the work to after hours and not get paid for it. During the school year I work my required 35 hours a week and then at least another 20 hours a week at home on my own time. Granted I do not have kids or a hubby but my time is as valuable as anyone else's.
In addition to the time I spend lots and lots of my own money on things for my kids/classroom. As many of you have stated we spend much of our paychecks on our job.
I was at a funeral yesterday with a group of teachers. The wife of a fellow teacher said to me "Look at your tan! It must be nice to only work 180 days and then have all that time to sit by the pool." I had to bite my tongue (really hard too!) to not make a comment back.
I guess it's all part of the job.
gloves2teach is offline   Reply With Quote