Help

ARCHIVE

Frog class pet

>

anm

Frog class pet
Old 07-06-2006, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am using a frog theme in my classroom this year. I am a new teacher and have a question about doing so. I will be teaching kindergarten and thought about buying a frog raising kit. I think the kids will be able to handle the responsibility, but I am wondering if any of you think they might be a little young for the pet.

anm is offline   Reply With Quote

teach4fun

never too young
Old 07-06-2006, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have frogs in my room and we always grow one. We have a tank with 3 frogs in it and then we grow another during the life cycle part of my science unit. they love it and we "pick " one person to take the grown one home. I never announce that until i know it is going to grown and be healthy. I mentioned it one year and it never developed so it was quite traumatic.

Enjoy and be prepared to have the all things dont work out discussion.

The k classes at my school raise chicks from eggs and that is A LOT more responsibility than a frog, so I'm sur eyou will be fine and most importantly, enjoy!!!
teach4fun is offline   Reply With Quote

LisaBlanco

Frog Theme
Old 07-07-2006, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I grew frogs last year. We ordered the tadpoles and were very disappointed when they didn't grow. One of the teachers took a look and said they sent me something else that just looks like tadpoles. So...I asked an old student to get me some tadpoles. After a rainy day here in Florida he went out and just scooped up water in his yard and I got so many the whole school had tadpoles. It was lots of fun. I also had frog charts for each child to earn froggy stickers for completing homework, a frog helpers chart, and individual frogs for an AR board. Good luck.
Lisa in rainy Florida
LisaBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote