Help

Social Studies

ABC state book

>

sweetmilker

ABC state book
Old 09-26-2008, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I want to make an Ohio ABC state book with my 4th graders. Has anybody ever done this before (with any state), and if so, any tips? Thanks!

sweetmilker is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

abc book
Old 09-27-2008, 03:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Are you familiar with B is for Buckeye? That could serve as a template and it is wonderful read aloud. I have not done your idea with students but think it would be a great end of the year project (after studying Ohio all year), they would have lots of choices.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

patschmidt

On going project
Old 09-27-2008, 04:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would suggest giving them the format now and then working on the book as you learn about Ohio... it could be your final grade.
patschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote

sweetmilker

Old 09-27-2008, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Well, I thought about just making a class ABC state book and each student would contribute one page (some would have to make 2). Then we could display it the whole school year.
sweetmilker is offline   Reply With Quote

jeanmarie

ABC books
Old 09-28-2008, 10:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have done ABC books for several years. I map out each letter for myself and link about half to class work. For example: the G is for government page would be a follow-up to our in-class lesson on government. I can then use it as an assessment. I also then plan in worktime for that letter during our day. I also provide pictures of our state symbols, flag, and crest that they may color. I give the kids the letters they will be responsible for at the beginning of the project so they have weeks to work on them. I also present several examples to critique for design, neatness color etc. so they see what I'm after. I also have several completed ABC books from former students who loan them to me so kids can picture what I'm after. Each page must have the letter, an illustration, and a short paragraph to explain. Color is optional but does help the grade. Art work is not graded except on neatness. Some kids use photos, sketches, cutouts from brochures/pamphlets we have written for.(language lesson on business letters). Copy and paste from the internet is allowed on 2 pages but must be credited correctly (tech lesson). We also develop a rubric using our model books so that everyone knows what is required for an A, B, or C. D's are earned by any book that is not completed. I also send a pacing letter to parents advising them where their child is in the project so that I don't get a frantic phonecall the night before the books are due. We design our own covers and I send them away to be laminated. Students use drawing paper for the pages (I have used store-bought scrapbooks, but the paper works better). That way as each page is completed it is left at school. Plus, it's easy to trash one page when they goof up or change their minds. I then bind the books when we get to the last few letters and they finish them up. It's a great project and most of my kids can tell you that they kept theirs.

jeanmarie is offline   Reply With Quote

jeanmarie

ABC Book afterthought
Old 09-28-2008, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I thought of something else I did. I required a page that had to be on history, another on a native animal, another on a native plant, an industry, another on them (biography lesson) etc. That really helped those kids who can never come up with an idea. We also brainstormed ideas for pages a lot and that helped too.
jeanmarie is offline   Reply With Quote

Nicholettev

I Did It With US History Class
Old 10-15-2008, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I had this as a final project for my US History Class. It might help you.

Smiles!
Attached Files
File Type: doc ABC BOOK.doc (61.0 KB, 348 views)
Nicholettev is offline   Reply With Quote

Eeyore3

ABC State Book
Old 11-06-2008, 08:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hi,
I'm new to the community so I am sorry I did not see your request before now. Did you find some help and ideas? I did this with my 4th graders a couple of years ago for Florida. If you still need help, let me know.
Eeyore3 is offline   Reply With Quote

cawc

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2009, 08:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This is a super cute idea for them to be creative, but remember things we learned in social studies at the same time! Thanks for sharing. I teach math and science, but this year all the teachers decided to teach social studies to their homeroom class. It kind of stinks because it is better integrated with other subjects, but I have enjoyed it none the less.
cawc is offline   Reply With Quote