Can a special ed. child fail? - ProTeacher Community

bi_skj

Can a special ed. child fail?
Old 09-27-2008, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my 1st year to teach children old enough to receive grades. One of my special ed. children are failing but my partner teacher told me she didn't think I was allowed to give her a failing grade. She recieves oral test, shortened assignments, extra time for completion.

bi_skj is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Look at her IEP
Old 09-27-2008, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In our school, the IEP should specify whether the child receives a modified letter grade, a pass/fail option or credit on their report card.

With my class, it is always based on the child's abilities. My most severe kids [who are in science and social studies primarily for socialization (and to meet Fed guidelines)] always receive credit regardless of what they do or do not do. Almost as a participation 'grade.' The next level up--The student is responsible for one or two key concepts per unit with heavily modified work and may be using the pass/fail option. A child with only slight disabilities who is doing modified grade level work with slight accommodations might receive a letter grade based on the modified work.

Of course, nothing is set in stone so we do this on a case by case basis. The IEP form should record how that happens.

**Looking back, I realize these are terrible sentences but don't have energy to totally fix them. Sorry.

Last edited by Lottalove; 09-27-2008 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: **See Above
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Prissy2

Pass or Fail
Old 09-27-2008, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Once again, the student's IEP will govern how he/she is graded. At my school, students receiving accommodations through an IEP should not fail, because all parties are working to make sure that the child is showing some academic success. If a special ed student fails, you must have extensive documentation, parent contact, intervention strategies, accommodated notes, tests and assignments with dates on all. Instead of putting the child on notice, both the general ed and special ed teachers are on trial and you had better be ready for it.
Prissy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

RAD

Yes they can fail
Old 09-28-2008, 05:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

As PPs have said, it should be addressed in the IEP. However, with all the wonderful modifications, adaptations, assistance, etc. we offer, a student can still choose to fail. Notice I said "choose". I would not pass a student that refused to put forth any effort. However, it is important that parent contact has been made throughout the quarter. I would never just fail a student without having talked to the parents to keep them abreast of what has been happening.

I once had a parent tell me that a SpEd student should never receive lower than a C and if they do, the teacher is not doing her job. Excuse me!! What about the parent doing their job and helping this child at home, seeing that the child gets adequate sleep, exercise, decent meals, etc. I will never hestitate to fail a student that is in reality failing and not putting forth the effort to do better.
RAD is offline   Reply With Quote

lakeviewSPED

They can fail....but document
Old 09-28-2008, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm a SPED teacher working with K-12 students who are in an inclusion model for a majority of every day. I work with the regular ed. teachers to help them determine the minimum requirements to pass their class, and what each student is required to know/complete in order to pass. I agree that if an IEP student is not turning in work and not attempting to do the work (assuming the work is within his ability level) then they can fail...but the regular ed. teacher needs to make sure that s/he has the documentation to prove the student hasn't been trying.

lakeviewSPED is offline   Reply With Quote